German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you all recommend as a chew for a pup who likes to swallow everything she chews on? I mean most dogs I've seen will sit and work on a chew gradually whereas my pup has taken a 12in bully stick and chewed on the middle then tried to swallow both ends whole. I manage to get it away from her but I don't want to keep taking stuff away from her.
When she was much smaller, she swallowed 3-4inches of a bully stick that she pooped out (thankfully) and it was still there undigested in her poop. As of right now at my location, I can get the brand "Smokehouse USA" in roundbones, knee bones, ribs and such but I don't have access to anything raw due to the culture here and that my landlord would lose his mind if he found out that raw bones were on the floor of his home. I also have access to order stuff off of amazon.com if that helps any recommendations as well.

We are so close to moving out of here. SO SO CLOSE! But the closer we get and the more changes happening to her environment, the more stressed out my pup has been getting and she is taking it out on chewing everything in her sights (despite my trying to increase her exercise and training). The only option at the moment that I've been doing is to put a clamp at the end of a bully stick then push it through 2 red rubber kongs so that only about 3 inches of bully stick comes out of the top just to force her to slow down. She can't pull it out because the clamp stops it and she can't swallow massive chunks because the kongs keep her from chewing at the middle. It's a really weird work around so I am wondering if any of you have a dog that tries to just swallow stuff instead of chewing and what you give the dog to help them chew on something appropriate without worrying that they are just going to try to swallow it whole.

Are weight bearing bones appropriate or should I focus on knees and rib bones or should I just continue on with my workaround and wait til we get back to a location where I can get a raw bone?

Thanks in advance for any advice. We are excited to get to Colorado and enjoy those trails and mountains!

·
Super Moderator
7,086 Posts
My dogs love the round bones.They don't splinter and last a long time.I actually reuse them sometimes,boil them then stuff them with leftovers and kibble to freeze for later.When they begin to show some wear and tear I throw them away.
The rib bones will splinter and any bones with knobby ends break apart in choking size pieces so I would stay away from those.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dogs love the round bones.They don't splinter and last a long time.I actually reuse them sometimes,boil them then stuff them with leftovers and kibble to freeze for later.When they begin to show some wear and tear I throw them away.
The rib bones will splinter and any bones with knobby ends break apart in choking size pieces so I would stay away from those.
Thank you so much. I didn't even think to boil them and stuff them with more treats again to put in the freezer.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Havr you ever tried the curly ones? Thats what i give my dog because he also swallows straight ones. I would not call him a power chewer but the curly ones do the trick

·
Registered
992 Posts
I have a maniacal chewer. Her canines are somewhat worn from earlier, frantic chewing episodes (antlers, bully sticks, stuffed and unstuffed kong, etc). They're not nubs, but still. A few months ago, I started giving her whole carrots. I watched her carefully, at first. She almost shaves off pieces of carrot to swallow. Maybe shaving isn't the best terminology, but she's not breaking off hunks of carrot and swallowing which worried me about the antlers et al. It's working; satisfies her need to chew and gives her a healthy treat at the same time.

Plus, she learned another word...

;)

Aly

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Oh wow! So glad you started this! I've always thrown away the last few inches because I'm scared she'll choke on it. Great tips with the bully stick holder, wrench and other techniques!

·
Super Moderator
5,124 Posts
Mine learned to enjoy the stick all the way to the end but we did have a couple of time starting out when the last few inches had been swallowed and thrown back up. A lousy way to learn not to swallow the last bits. I would have done the vice grips back then if I'd seen it. Never even crossed my mind.

My gal-dog gets big crunchy carrots. Not ever been a problem with her and cheaper than bully sticks. Still gets a 6 inch stick twice a week to help clean her teeth.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
She seems more interested in the holder than the bully stick. Fits great though! Kinda wish I got the smaller one. It's a lot bigger than I expected lol
Do you think the smaller one would still fit the bully stick?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts