German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Nika seems to be catching on about peeing in the apartment. She still does it, but sometimes she tries to get to the door or let me know she has to go. She always poops outside too.

But, and this seems odd to me, she feels as if her kennel is a safe place to crap or pee. I feel this is odd because the kennel is supposed to be her safe hole to go to have her personal space.

Any ideas guys? She is at 5 months.

·
5,627 Posts
How much space does she have in her kennel? During house breaking, they should be given only enough room to stand up, turn around and lie down comfortably so that they can not go to the bathroom in one part of the crate and sleep in another.

At 5 months, if she is still having accidents, then you aren't taking her out enough. Do you have bells or anything at the door for her to signal that she needs to go out? Those help if you ring them initially everytime you take her out to potty and then eventually she will do it on her own. When she goes to the bathroom outside she gets LOTS of praise and a treat.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
How much space does she have in her kennel? During house breaking, they should be given only enough room to stand up, turn around and lie down comfortably so that they can not go to the bathroom in one part of the crate and sleep in another.
How long is she being left in the crate? In addition to crate size, puppies should only have to hold it for 1 hour per month of age. So if she's being left in a crate longer than 5 hours without a potty break, that could be the problem!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have to agree that she may have too much space in her crate. If the crate is really large when they are young they think they have enough space to have a bathroom and sleeping space separately. My trainer has suggested putting a plastic milk crate in to take up some space if the crate is really large as in the size for a full grown dog. Also, maybe taking her out more often and teaching the command to go will help. When you take her out and she goes give it a name and lots of praise. Eventually she will go on command which is really handy on road trips and for storms, etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, I work 12 hour shifts. I get home every 4 to 5 hours to let her out to use the bathroom and have some free time though. There is no possible way I can get her out every hour, or every two to three hours for that matter. She seems fine the six to seven hours I am asleep without peeing.

What do people use to take up some crate space that the dog wont end up eating?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Crate dividers. You can find them at most pet stores.

If you can't get home to take her out more often, you need to find someone who can. Pay a dog walking service, or a neighbor, etc, to do it for you. A dog that learns to tolerate it's own filth in the crate [by virtue of a physiological inability to "hold it" that long at that age] may grow up to be a dog who simply decides not to hold it, because they've long since lost their natural aversion to filth.

If you can't find someone, or you aren't comfortable letting people have access to your home while you aren't there, consider taking the pup, crated, to a friend's home during the day. All they need do is let the pup out every two hours to use the bathroom.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Unfortunately, I work 12 hour shifts. I get home every 4 to 5 hours to let her out to use the bathroom and have some free time though. There is no possible way I can get her out every hour, or every two to three hours for that matter. She seems fine the six to seven hours I am asleep without peeing.

What do people use to take up some crate space that the dog wont end up eating?
It depends on how much space you need to take up. She should have enough space to stand up and turn around and lay down. If she has waaayy too much a plastic milk crate will work.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I am actually on the edge of frustration with this peeing thing. I woke up this early evening to get ready for work (I work nights), and I did the ussualy routine. I got out of bed, threw some sweat pants and a t-shirt on, and walked the dogs. When I got in, I fed the dogs, checked my e-mail, and then jumped in the shower. After getting out of the shower, I got dressed for work, and after that is when I take the puppy out again. I got the leash on her, and she pissed all over by the door. Arghhhh! I know she is fully capable of holding it! Why wont she?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts