German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my puppy is four months old, he got sick last week with Parvo, (not sure why, he had all his vaccination and he had never been to the park, his vet said it was ‘really bad luck’, we are in Mexico, in a hot city in the north, so, there’s more parvo in this time of the year, but we even cleaned our shoes after coming from anyplace, anyway somehow he got it). He is now okay, more than okay, thank God, he was hospitalized for three days at the vet. A small part of me still think it was not parvo. But anyway, when this happened he was about to start a group class and have a couple of private lessons at home to understand him better. None of this happened. He got sick on Wednesday 30th, now he is all normal, in fact he has been quite normal since he got back, no vomits, no diarrhea. He appears hungrier every day and wants to play every moment, he is recovering his small weight loss. Yet, he is also teething since he is back.
But, he is more vocal now, he looks more confident, and he barks often, really often… he even barked at my dad today, which was really strange, and he barked at a dog in a YouTube video… and he is also, biting us again, he was not doing that to us before the parvo (he only nipped/bite my 9 year old sister), now he tries to bite all of us at times (not all the time)….
He is more inside the house and, in his indoors space, (he has like a place with small fences inside the house, your version of a crate), because we were told to keep him resting as much as possible. But again, he has a lot of energy right now. We have not allowed him to go to the backyard or to use all of his toys.
Is the barking thing to everything normal? (he barked at his poop today) What about the biting/nipping? Are these behaviors because of the ‘resting time’ of this week? I meant like a person that has been grounded to be ‘inside’ against its will….

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Now that he's recovered and feels perky again, the mischief will come out!

What's likely happening is that you're finally seeing some "normal" romping from this puppy -- parvo sucks out all their energy. While the illness was coming on, even before it broke, he was likely not feeling great. Now that he's feeling better, he's ready to take on the world.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. He's bored and being bratty. Entertain his mind, play games inside.

Yes, we are playing with him. But I guess we will do it for longer periods now jaja.... He is really loud now, he barks for absolutely everything (and at anyone, even my dad), today he seemed to be talking with the Belgian shepherd next door.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. Probably just a coincidence. He is a growing up young dog, feeling his oats and seeing how far he can go with you.

Yes, it is like he is realizing he is not a baby anymore... Anyway, would it be proper to call the trainer we had picked? I meant to start with two private lessons before the group classes? How long should it be before we take him out to houses and socialization meetings?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that he's recovered and feels perky again, the mischief will come out!

What's likely happening is that you're finally seeing some "normal" romping from this puppy -- parvo sucks out all their energy. While the illness was coming on, even before it broke, he was likely not feeling great. Now that he's feeling better, he's ready to take on the world.

Yes. My mom said to him yesterday "well, what doesn't kill you, indeed makes you stronger"... He is quite a thing right now, trying to bite everyone, constantly barking, jumping and running....I guess we were probably being really condescending on him when he got back.....Any suggestions on how we should take things now? How long should we wait before taking him to other places?

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
I meant because of the parvo, can he still pass it to other dogs or something?
I would ask my vet, especially since you weren't sure if it was Parvo. Was he ever officially diagnosed? If you want to be sure if he is immune, you could have him titered for antibodies.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would ask my vet, especially since you weren't sure if it was Parvo. Was he ever officially diagnosed? If you want to be sure if he is immune, you could have him titered for antibodies.

They took a test (10 min test) but I was not properly seeing the two lines my vet was seeing.... I never saw blood in his stools, nor in his vomit. But he has always had a thing with diarrhea, he likes eating things he should not (plants, leaves, stuff like that)... We had always been really overreacting about such things, always ran to the vet... A couple of days before the diagnosis we caught him eating some rotted tomatoes (we have different vegetables planted, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, limes, watermelon radish)..., we removed the tomato plants that day, there is also a fence in the backyard that divides that area from the rest of the backyard, but, it was open that day, my dad did not notice that he did not properly closed it. He is inside most of the time, days are quite hot, but we played outside really early or at sunset... So, that wednesday he went to the vet in the morning, because he vomitted his meal, and his diagnosis was an stomachal infection. But we struggle through the day to feed him and saw him quite sad, so we took him again, and they did the test and the doctor said the second line was appearing and from one minute to the other he was admitted.

The night before he came back, they told us that he was going to be good as new. And indeed he is good as new right now. He is messier and noisier than he was.

Anyway, I will ask today cause he will have a check up today, in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I sincerely doubt your dog had Parvo. Based solely on your own statements that the dog recovered in a week and that you saw no real signs.
Incubation period is somewhere between 3-14 days depending on who you ask and the form of the virus that we see most often is the intestinal form which develops quickly from onset of symptoms. Within 12-24 hours pups go from fine to lethargic to severe dehydration which is how it kills. The blood in the stool produces the iron like odor that is the tell tale sign. Sub q fluids are required and recovery is slow, sometimes taking weeks.
To be careful generally within 10 days pups have stopped shedding the virus. BUT this virus is one of the most resilient and long lived viruses we have ever found. Indications are that it can remain on porous surfaces, like the ground, for at least a year and some research points to much longer. It is also extremely difficult to kill. To further complicate issues it can be spread through indirect contact, meaning you or another animal can carry it on person, shoes and clothing and transmit to other dogs. There is a reason that many shelters close their doors during parvo outbreaks. Precautions involve bleach trays at entrances, and disposal of any blankets, bedding and toys that your pup has been in contact with.
It largely attacks pups, healthy adult dogs can aid in indirect transmission but seldom contract the virus.
Side effects in some pups are severe and lifelong, other pups recover fully and have no lasting effects from it.
Having said all of that, I suspect your pup was the victim of some upset that has now resolved and you are seeing the true personality now that he is better.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I sincerely doubt your dog had Parvo. Based solely on your own statements that the dog recovered in a week and that you saw no real signs.
Incubation period is somewhere between 3-14 days depending on who you ask and the form of the virus that we see most often is the intestinal form which develops quickly from onset of symptoms. Within 12-24 hours pups go from fine to lethargic to severe dehydration which is how it kills. The blood in the stool produces the iron like odor that is the tell tale sign. Sub q fluids are required and recovery is slow, sometimes taking weeks.
To be careful generally within 10 days pups have stopped shedding the virus. BUT this virus is one of the most resilient and long lived viruses we have ever found. Indications are that it can remain on porous surfaces, like the ground, for at least a year and some research points to much longer. It is also extremely difficult to kill. To further complicate issues it can be spread through indirect contact, meaning you or another animal can carry it on person, shoes and clothing and transmit to other dogs. There is a reason that many shelters close their doors during parvo outbreaks. Precautions involve bleach trays at entrances, and disposal of any blankets, bedding and toys that your pup has been in contact with.
It largely attacks pups, healthy adult dogs can aid in indirect transmission but seldom contract the virus.
Side effects in some pups are severe and lifelong, other pups recover fully and have no lasting effects from it.
Having said all of that, I suspect your pup was the victim of some upset that has now resolved and you are seeing the true personality now that he is better.

Thank you for your information and arguments.

I doubt it too that it was Parvo... But could not argue it, I did not want to loose our puppy, so, I was not gonna take any chances (there was some diarrhea and there were vomits that day, no blood, but who was I to question it). It is weird that he is so good now, that we have been even mixing his regular kibble since this Wednesday with his prescription wet food.... I have heard really terrible stories about parvo. We took a lot of precautions with this dog, he had not gone to parks or anywhere touching the floor (he had a visit to Petco in the car, and a couple times my grandma's), we used to clean our shoes with some bleach or disinfectant after going outside. People kept saying to us that there was a lot of Parvo in parks around the city (hot city, with several stray dogs and terrible owners).

Is there anyway now to know if it was actually Parvo?

Also, our vet instructed us that he can not go to his group classes just yet, and that we should wait at least 10-15 days to do so, for the other dogs sake.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Read that it’s very rare, but a small percentage of dogs known as "non-responders" will not develop immunity and will remain susceptible to parvo for a lifetime. Can you ask your vet to give your dog a full check up Incase this is a concern? And if there is a need for a second round of shots.

I do doubt that it’s Parvo but a vet would know better than me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Read that it’s very rare, but a small percentage of dogs known as "non-responders" will not develop immunity and will remain susceptible to parvo for a lifetime. Can you ask your vet to give your dog a full check up Incase this is a concern? And if there is a need for a second round of shots.

I do doubt that it’s Parvo but a vet would know better than me.

Well, according to his vet it was parvo... he goes to a clinic with a staff of different vets, but at this point everyone knows him. They are more expensive than regular vets here, but their place is bigger and they have more services there. I am thinking about switching to a holistic vet, but since he is a family pet, it is not just my decision to take. Probably it was or probably it was not, but would it hurt to get extra vaccination?

He was checked again yesterday at our vet clinic, no concerns, he is eating his regular kibble again, with some Gastro High Energy Royal Canin can, it is the wet stinky food... Can this be the reason for his actual high energy? He is barking at people he did not bark before, like our neighbors and stuff, it is too weird, because he has always been really easy going, he loved people around, and biting and nipping us (not my dad though), it's weird... maybe it will pass now that he takes back his routine and also a trainer will come this week, and he will join group classes in 10 days...

·
Registered
31,473 Posts
It's a very easy thing to draw blood and send it out for a titer. Costs about $100 to send to Auburn for parvo and distemper.

I highly recommend all do this. Seger was fully vaccinated as a puppy and for some reason did not develop immunities to one of these diseases (would have to pull paperwork to know which one). I would never have known this if I hadn't titered at 1 yr. Revaccinated after results and retitered. He's good now.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
In the U.S., vets typically diagnose parvo definitively through a SNAP test -- is this perhaps what your vet used?
https://www.idexx.com/en/veterinary/snap-tests/snap-parvo-test/

They usually cost about $100 to run, and the results are ready in a few minutes while you wait. It's pretty important to know, as they can shed the virus for up to 6 weeks (2-4 weeks is typical, but longer is quite possible).

Any vaccinations given while the pup was sick are likely going to be useless. While the body is fighting a major illness, there are no reserves to mount an immune response to the vaccine, so the vaccine can end up doing absolutely nothing. That makes Jax08's suggestion of titering a very good idea!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's a very easy thing to draw blood and send it out for a titer. Costs about $100 to send to Auburn for parvo and distemper.

I highly recommend all do this. Seger was fully vaccinated as a puppy and for some reason did not develop immunities to one of these diseases (would have to pull paperwork to know which one). I would never have known this if I hadn't titered at 1 yr. Revaccinated after results and retitered. He's good now.

Thank you, I believe we really need to know for sure.

I will ask for this. I am not sure about the non literal translation for "titered", but I think I get it. He had an appointment today. And we will have some studies (to see if there is more vaccination needed) according to our vet the first days of july I believe (my sister knows for sure since she and my mom took him today).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In the U.S., vets typically diagnose parvo definitively through a SNAP test -- is this perhaps what your vet used?
https://www.idexx.com/en/veterinary/snap-tests/snap-parvo-test/

They usually cost about $100 to run, and the results are ready in a few minutes while you wait. It's pretty important to know, as they can shed the virus for up to 6 weeks (2-4 weeks is typical, but longer is quite possible).

Any vaccinations given while the pup was sick are likely going to be useless. While the body is fighting a major illness, there are no reserves to mount an immune response to the vaccine, so the vaccine can end up doing absolutely nothing. That makes Jax08's suggestion of titering a very good idea!

They did use something like that, not the same one, but quite similar. I only saw one line, but the doctor said the other was showing. I honestly did not have glasses with me, and everything went on really quickly after that. I called my mom and my dad, and from one minute to the other he was admitted.

I am thinking about taking him to a different vet this week. I was afraid of doing it before. And have the test taken again.

I will take Jax08's suggestion seriously, it seems like a way to know for sure.

Thank you both, and thanks everybody else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts