German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our GSD is almost 3 years old and he has been with us since he was 2 months old. In all that time he only had about 3 bathroom accidents in the house and all were when he was a young puppy. He has been excellent with hitting the bells that hang on our back door or he will do something like bark/yelp to let us know he gotta go out.

This month he has peed in the house 3 times, all occurring when we go to bed/overnight. When we go downstairs to let him out we noticed that he peed in the house already something that he has NEVER done before. Our routine has not changed, I feed him during dinner time (RAW Diet for 1.5 years) consistently at 6:30 but no later than 7pm. I always keep his water bowl full and again this has never been an issue. Before I go to bed I ALWAYS let him out to pee and this has been our routine and it has worked up until now.

Our Yard is a decent size so we exercise him just about everyday for 30-60 minutes.

What did change - Hercules had free reign of the first floor of our house - living room, dinning room and kitchen. My son just had a baby so we are new grand parents :smile2: My son's girlfriend does not want Hercules near our grand daughter and I have to respect that so we purchased gates that keeps him out of our living room. After they leave we leave the gates up to keep Hercules out of the living room so we can consistently keep it clean as we GSD owners know they shed a lot. This has been going on for the past two months.

What are your thoughts on why Hercules is doing this? Has this happen to anyone else and what did you do to correct it?

I get very upset but I can't yell at him since I didn't catch him doing it and a lot of time passed by so Hercules will have no Idea why I'm upset.

Should I not give him water/fill his bowl of water at night?

Any suggestions would be great.

·
Super Moderator
5,872 Posts
Have him checked out by your vet for a possible uti or other physical cause.If there's no medical issues you could either crate him overnight or just continue to put up with it.Unless he's drinking a huge amount of water overnight(medical red flag) the water shouldn't be a factor.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I too would be worried about a UTI. Definitely get him checked by his vet!

Dogma is right on the money. If there isn't a medical issue, you will have to crate him at night. You don't want this to become a lifelong habit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, after reading other articles and blogs online they all say that a dog will mark his territory when someone new comes in like a new baby. So, I dusted off his crate and put him in his crate, the next morning no pee. I leave him out all day and only put him in crate overnight. So far this has been working but I do not want him in his crate.

So, I'm very cautiously introducing him to our newborn grand daughter by letting him take a quick sniff, I also let him lay down in the living room while she is with us. I put in his crate one of her swaddles so he can get used to her smell.

I also read that this is a very hard habit to break once they start doing it.

so, that is where i'm at right now. He is crated overnight and now I gotta figure out how to train him to stop doing it.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
I'm glad that you found the "permit access" info on other sites since no one offered it here. I'd guess this was the underlying issue. Another thought would be not just to "let him out" before bed time but to go out with him so that he does what you want. When GD is not at your house, I would consider giving him full access.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I tried giving him back full access when GD is not at the house but that didn't work. so I figured let him get used to not having access to living room at all times this way I can keep the living room pretty much clean from his hair...not perfect as his hair gets all over but much better when he is not laying around the living room.

I see your point on taking him out rather than letting him out.

Thanks,

Al

1 - 7 of 7 Posts