German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In short, how do you obtain veterinary records when planning to switch hospitals? Simply ask for a copy of your records? and how thorough are they? Just diagnosis and procedures, or doctors notes included?

This seems like such a simple and straight forward question, especially having worked at a vet and being financially responsible for my dogs for over 20yrs... but the truth is, until recently, i very rarely use a vet and have always continued going to my childhood vet even after moving 375 miles away.

anyway.... their practice has since grown (9 doctors), to the point where it’s nearly impossible to see the same vet, appointments are several weeks out, it’s difficult to get a dr on the phone for questions or follow up and they all seem pretty tired and overworked. there have also been some changes after they sold to VCA. i’m ready to move on.

another interesting note - the hospital where i am planning to switch is owned by my dogs primary vets husband.... it that something you would make either vets aware that you know?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Picked up the files myself (I wanted a copy at home anyways) and yes there were the notes that I didn’t know they placed in there ie patient must be seen by primary vet only. I never requested that one. Suspect due to a disagreement. This happened a while back. I Had the files sent directly to my new vet this time around.

They are going to find out eventually. if your comfortable being up front with your primary now, she probably will make certain that the files are complete before sending. Just my 2pennies.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Tell them you are leaving and why, then get clear copies and hand carry them. My old vet faxed records and they were illegible. They refused to resend them so my current vet was missing information. A busy vet office expects some turnover and won’t care too much. Your feedback could help them be more customer oriented if they want to be. I left a vet who mishandled my WL and didn’t like him. I was very clear I could not take my puppy to a vet who didn’t respect him or the breed, and didn’t understand how to treat him. They were very responsive and apologized but didn’t care too much that we left.

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
Just like you would a medical release for you. Sign a paper and they'll send them or you can pick them up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts