German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Can you help? My GSD for about 3 months, he's been constantly sniffing the floor. Pacing around sniffing the floor. Not sure why he's doing this. Is it some sort of behaviour issue or just because he's bored?

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it limited to one room? One spot in the room? Have you tried cleaning the area where he is sniffing?

No it can be other rooms too, but normally does it Al more in my sitting room. And he's sniffing the entire room. Yeah cleaning so many times but he still doesn't seem to stop

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, no other animals. It is carpet but he occasionally sniffs hard floor aswell

·
Super Moderator
8,061 Posts
What's under the floor? Basement, crawlspace,water pipes?He could smell or hear something underneath.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's only pipes underneath the floor boards. I mean him sniffing started around 3 months ago, so I'm not sure whether it's to do with whats underneath the floorboards or else he would have started doing that at the start when we got him

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our 12 week girl sniffs the floors aggressively. I assume she's suited for smelling games. We plan to make some boxes and start training for scent locating. Why? No idea. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,039 Posts
Is your address 8215 W. Summerdale Ave?

J/K :)

·
Super Moderator
8,061 Posts
There's only pipes underneath the floor boards. I mean him sniffing started around 3 months ago, so I'm not sure whether it's to do with whats underneath the floorboards or else he would have started doing that at the start when we got him
Unless someone or some Thing lives down there now.Bwahaha! A mouse maybe:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unless someone or some Thing lives down there now.Bwahaha! A mouse maybe:)
Ermmm I don't think so, coz he would've barked if he smelled something that wasn't right. I'm thinking its a behavioural issue. Could dogs get OCD

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
So my dog sometimes gets a.bit excited when people come to call. So I just put her in the backyard so she's a non issue.

On most occassions, when she's allowed in, she will start at the door and track that visitors every step... nose to the ground, not mixing timelines at all! It's truly amazing.

Often their path intersects a later path, but she's never detoured by that, she follows their every step in the correct order.

She would make, I'm sure, one heck of a bomb or drug detection dog. But, she's mine, and I'm not sharing her...

Sorry, to answer your question OP, yes dogs do exhibit OCD behaviors quite frequently. But they usually don't develop spontaneously, they are "caused" by something or build up over time. Video would really help if you could record what you're seeing and link it here that would really help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts