German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once in a while I take Deja to my breeder's training field where there are many dogs so distractions galore. Most are intact, females in season are welcome and everything runs smooth for some reason.
Exercise: have the dog on a down, stand over your dog, have the dog sit while you stand over him/her. No issue with Deja but the neighboring adolescent Rottie male didn't want to comply and outwitted his owner in a very sneaky way. As he stood over the dog, the Rottie slowly crawled forward, every step planned without getting up. I think I knew his thinking: "Sh**, don't like this dominance from him. Better remain in the down but slowly crawl forward so he won't notice, I am not getting into trouble but out of this predicament".
It worked well. By the time he managed to 'break free', there was another exercise. Trainers never noticed, nor did the Rottie's owner. So his smarts won. I love those characters.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Lol! How funny. What a sly pup he must’ve been! My pup goes under my legs willingly, It’s like I’m her human armor. When she was a pup especially.. a big ol dog coming her way? Nope. Right under me she went.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Good for Daja, funny creeping part with the other. My boy did the same when we went back for some help from his puppy trainer. My guy was placed in a down, there was a bit of distance between him and us while we chit chatted. As the conversation continued, the trainer interrupted and told me to look at my dog. He was way closer to me than where I had left him and I didn’t see it but he had been creepy crawling all along. I think the trainer just watched to see if I would notice. Total fail on my part :-( sneaky pup lol.

Reactions: wolfy dog

·
Registered
10,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love that intelligence. My first dog, 40ish years ago had to go on a down stay with me facing my back to him from a distance. Another owner gestured me to look back. The dog was on his back, playing with his leash but he was still in a down. He was an adolescent then, passed away 30 years ago. He got away with way more than his successors.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Wolfe dog, that made me chuckle. Proof that our beloved companions are still with us even though they aren’t and can still make us smile. Thanks I needed that!

Reactions: wolfy dog

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
My dog's so flippin big it wouldn't work. He's a horse.

My youngest now is 70lb and built like a little brick you know what. I often reward a straight front by throwing the treat between my legs behind me so he runs straight between my legs to get his treat--then he doesn't anticipate it coming from either hand. I couldn't do that with my big competition dog, he would have to crouch down to make it and that would ruin the whole idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts