German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wondering what kind of things do you do with your puppy when you are training them? My puppy knows the sit, down, come, wait etc...but all that takes all of 5 minutes. How do you make your obedience sessions last for 15-20 mts everyday? Just looking for ideas on what to do with her.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Now do all those 'commands' out in public! At playground. In front of Walmart.

You want training sessions to be short with a puppy. Better 2 five minute sessions in a day rather than 1 ten minute. You want it to be motivating and fun so you puppy can't wait to do more.

Tons of preliminary 'obedience' in this video but look at the puppy's attitude. THAT'S your main goal and then all the training follows.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
One thing you can start working on if you haven't yet is extended focus, and focused heeling Start with very short focus times, and for heeling, if you can get one or two steps of heeling with her looking at you is a a great start. The focused heeling is an obedience exercise, not something to expect our pups to be doing all the time when we take them on walks.

Also, work on the basic obedience commands from a distance. Just a few suggestions of extra things to add to your repertoire.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Take it to the next level

People tend to reach a plateau when it comes to training their dog. You can make a training session last longer by chaining the cues together before the dog gets the reward...it also reinforces the cues, too. So, instead of asking the dog to sit, then rewarding, you can ask the dog to sit, laydown, shake, and so on, THEN reward. Assuming you've already tried that, you can introduce other things like "leave it", how to heel, how to loose leash walk, or even better yet, taking her out of her comfort zone, and asking her to do the basic cues with more distractions. Take her out on the sidewalk, where there's a little more activity, and the possibility for someone to walk by. If a dog is trained in their comfort zone, and no where else, then you ask them to do a cue that you know that they know somewhere else, they may not respond because they are overloaded with distractions. Introduce the distractions slowly though. That is called the "Generalization" portion of training your dog. :) Get him out and used to other areas, but being able to listen to you while doing it. I suggest use very tasty treats to increase your dog's motivation :)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
There are also other tricks you can teach, such as:

Fetch
Hold treat on nose and catch
Roll over
Play dead

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
if you tell your dog to sit and a stranger comes up to your dog
with a treat and calls her will she move? will your dog run
into the street after a ball? will your dog obey her commands
with another dog around that's off leash? when you tell your
dog to stay will she stay if someone circles her with their dog?
if your front door is propped open will she exit the house? does your
dog know hand signals? will your dog heel on either side on
or off leash? when your walking your dog (on or off leash) will she switch
sides on command? will your dog carry things for you? if you drop
something while walking will your dog pick it up without
a command? when someone rings the bell or knocks on the door
will your dog go to her bed or spot on command? there's so much you can
teach them

I have been wondering what kind of things do you do with your puppy when you are training them? My puppy knows the sit, down, come, wait etc...but all that takes all of 5 minutes. How do you make your obedience sessions last for 15-20 mts everyday? Just looking for ideas on what to do with her.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
how old is the OP's dog? when my dog was in training
his sessions last 5 to 10 minutes. he had 6 to 10 sessions a day.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet.

Your training sessions with a puppy should not last 15-20 minutes. Seven 3 minute sessions will get you much farther.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts