German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I found myself surprised, because our dog, who has showed aggressive behaviours towards people, and who has been very reactive on leash, is turning into a quite comfortable dog to walk around with. I dont meant he is now friendly or anything, but he has learnt to pretty much ignore and let live. Both on leash and slowly off leash as well.

Our first trainer was too traditional, in fact quite an idiot. Our second one was to social oriented, always socializing dogs (in a weird way), and told us when he was doing better that the dalmatian bit our dog because of our own fault, never had proper arguments.

We recently decided to give a try to a third trainer, who was at the beginning completely focused on obedience, I thought, this was not going to work. Yet, surprisingly after almost 6 weeks, with mostly 3 to 5 sessions per week (quite expensive as they are one on one), our dog has not shut down or anything, but instead he is focused, looks quite happy in the car, gets curious about some people, still quite cautious but more relaxed around people and dogs, totally reliable when it comes to his obedience, recall is 100% (finally learn to use the e-collar), heeling is also awesome, and it completely avoids his reactivity. Our trainer has designed for us two types of walks, one with heel and another one with freedom for him. But each works, we havent had a reaction, and we are feeling more confident than ever before, and we have finally been able to deal with off leash dogs that run towards us

We are still not where we would want to, but it is good.

So far so good. I just never thought obedience and routine would give us this before. I always thought he was more into the fact of having socialization and repeated crowded pack walks. I believed that was good for his issues.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to share.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sounds like you have found the right trainer. Obedience is a funny thing, everyone thinks it is about the individual behaviors or about making your dog into a robot. Really, it's more about building confidence and connection. The byproducts of obedience are so beneficial!

·
Registered
345 Posts
That is great.

This is the approach the all of the trainers and behaviorists I find my self respecting seem to take. Rather than tackling the problem head-on like TV trainers tend to do, (preferably with a furrow of concentration on their brow and a sunset over the shoulder) they look at the dog's relationship with the owner and the dog's general behavior.

My guess is that your trainer is emphasizing exercises that involve engagement and self-control through positive methods. As an example: even though pup might want to sniff that spot, he is learning to 'leave it' because something even better is likely to happen if he listens to you. Over time and various exercises, this positive self-control and positive handler-control has evolved to include dogs and people.

Sound like good progress towards a happy dog with happy owners.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you have found the right trainer. Obedience is a funny thing, everyone thinks it is about the individual behaviors or about making your dog into a robot. Really, it's more about building confidence and connection. The byproducts of obedience are so beneficial!
Indeed. He has shown so much confidence in himself and even in us for the last few weeks, it is really interesting.
He has also started to jumping over things he wouldnt have before. Later, he sniffs and licks our trainer, every day.

That is great.

This is the approach the all of the trainers and behaviorists I find my self respecting seem to take. Rather than tackling the problem head-on like TV trainers tend to do, (preferably with a furrow of concentration on their brow and a sunset over the shoulder) they look at the dog's relationship with the owner and the dog's general behavior.

My guess is that your trainer is emphasizing exercises that involve engagement and self-control through positive methods. As an example: even though pup might want to sniff that spot, he is learning to 'leave it' because something even better is likely to happen if he listens to you. Over time and various exercises, this positive self-control and positive handler-control has evolved to include dogs and people.

Sound like good progress towards a happy dog with happy owners.
It is not really a happy-methods trainer. It is balanced. We have lots of treats and lots of praising, but also, we have a prong collar, we have corrections, but we have them only when we should, timing is better. Our trainer indicates that at this point we can still use the prong collar, but we start to remove it every now and then. Does not meant we will get rid of it, but training should be more important than the tools according to him (and have trust in our dog is also something we are working on).

·
Registered
345 Posts
we have a prong collar, we have corrections,
+1. I am probably 98% positive. The most important thing seems to be the relationship, trust, and communication between the owner and the dog. I occasionally, use a prong collar. Every one in a while, Ole seems to enjoy leaning against pressure on the leash like a sled dog and a harness. It reminds me of the "I'm flying" scene from titanic. So, I randomly rotate between a flat collar, a gentle leader and a prong collar.

However, I haven't had to use it is a corrective tool. It is just something that lets me control pups' head with relatively minor leash pressure. We'll see if that changes over time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts