German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My obedience group gets together once a week to practice our skills. Somebody from the group volunteers to be the leader. This time it's my turn and I was looking for any games that make obedience fun. (We have novice through utility.)

We've had relay races doing weaves through cones, did recalls with the handler turning and running when the dog is almost to you, divide the class with a ring gate and have the group take turns working on something while there is activity going on in the ring beside them.

I'd appreciate any ideas or things you've done that made practice fun.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Recall relays are great fun and help to proactice the stay as well as the recall. We always played that the dog must "front" before the next dog can go.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input! Recall relays are fun.

Here's a few more ideas:

For dogs who can do a down on recall, the leader puts a $5 in the middle. If you can drop your dog's chest on the $5, it's yours. (Nobody was able to do that one.)

Another good one for the down on recall is to say a nonsense word instead of saying "down". A nonsense word is a two or three syllable word like banana or bingo. If your dog is really listening for the command, he/she should continue coming into you. Some aren't listening for the command; but drop because they hear your voice.

Lassie says-played like Simon says; but if the leader doesn't say a command preceded by "Lassie says" and you do it, you're out!

I also had them rev the dogs up with some playing and then give them a command to sit or down. You could just see the enthusiasm in the dogs.

Instead of doing our usual heeling practice, I asked everyone to pick up their pace and really put themselves into the performance. Dogs get more attentive and seem to have a lot more fun.

Obedience should be fun for you and your dog. Working together as a team is an awesome feeling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts