German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Just had some questions for competition people.
When you train your heel, do you have the dog flip to your side or go around you? If you have them flip, then once you
recall to front, what word do you use if you want them to go
around you to a heel?

Also, do you use another word other than heel to keep the dog by your side with no pulling out for a reg walk?

I was wanting to keep "heel" as a work obed mode word for the dog & not a normal walk word. Would that be advised?

Thanks much.......

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
It doesn't matter which way you have your dog finish: flip or around. I use heel to tell my dog to heel, but, again, it doesn't matter what word you use so long as you are consistent.

Telling your dog to heel should mean in proper heel position with his complete focus on you and automatic sits. By no stretch of the imagination should you be asking your dog to heel when out for a walk. Pick whatever you want to use to tell your dog to move out for walks. I just tell mine forward.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i'm not in competition but i taught my dog
to heel on either side with or without a leash.
i taught my dog to pass me on the right side,
go behind and stop on my left side. if i want
him to sit i tell him if not he'll stand beside me.
i use when we're walking a lot. sometimes i want
him near me depending on the situation. when he's standing
or sitting beside me if i lead off with my left leg he heels (walks
with me) if i lead off with my right leg he stays. there's no
verbal commands with the leg leads.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Hello, Just had some questions for competition people.
When you train your heel, do you have the dog flip to your side or go around you? If you have them flip, then once you
recall to front, what word do you use if you want them to go
around you to a heel? I teach both finishes and use different commands for each. I use "around" for going behind me and "get close" for the left finish. I also use "swing" for the flip finish with the dog up in the air.

Also, do you use another word other than heel to keep the dog by your side with no pulling out for a reg walk? I use "with me" for just walking.

I was wanting to keep "heel" as a work obed mode word for the dog & not a normal walk word. Would that be advised? Yes.

Thanks much.......
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Elaine, Ok, but shouldn't you give a diff word
for the flip vs going around? That's what I'm
asking. If you say "heel", then they come flip to
side in heel positition & another word to have them
go around you to heel positition?

Just trying to see what "most" use to get dog in heel
positition, flip or around body style? If they use the flip type
heel, do they require their dog to go to that positition
from a recall?

Yes, I am trying to keep when I say heel as a work, obed mode
cue. I see people use this for reg dog walks, but I am
trying not to do this. I do not want pullers on a lead for reg
walks & we do so, so with that, but still would like a word to
come up with so they walk nice at my side, like, heel, but hate
to use as I did not want to mess up a competition focus heel.
Hope this makes sense & hoping more will chime in please &
give tips that works for them.

Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
32,256 Posts
I don't train a competition heel, but you definitely don't want "heel" to mean more than one thing, your criteria for the command should always be consistent or your dog is going to be confused and not know what you want. So I would use a different command for a loose leash walk, as others have suggested. I use "let's go".

Heel is a position, not how the dog gets into that position. But if you're going to train two different finishes, I'd keep the one you use most as your heel command, and use a different one for the other finish.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should mention this is to be used in Schutzhund
obed & also may apply to AKC rally someday.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Debbie. 8) Trying to stay consistent is my main goal! I seen heel used both ways, flip or around. Was told you get a better, straighter sit with the around method. Plus on a recall to front & a heel compand from the front, thinking this may be hard to preform if I teach the filp way?

I was just really curious with those that train & compete, which way they see used more often & method they use?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, on reg walks with the lets go, this is what I have used also, do you require the dog to be at your side?

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I only do the flip finish because it's easier to teach, looks better, and you usually get a straighter finish. I don't do the around finish at all. If I were going to do both, I would still use heel for the flip, only because that's the one I would use more, and around for the other.

It doesn't matter where my dog is in relation to my body: when I say heel it means he has to get into heel position. So this means from a front I say heel to get him into position.

I never tell my dogs to heel when out for a walk and most of them walk out in front of me. If I need them to come in closer for a short leash, then I'll just call their name and say here. They slow down and I'll shorten the leash for whatever reason I need to do that. When I'm done with the short leash, I'll say ok and they go back to whereever they want to be.

If you are thinking about SchH, then raise your standards and go for AKC obedience and not rally.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Kenya and Nikon both are trained *both* finishes. "Fuss" (their heel word) means a right finish. "Get in" or a hand gesture left means a left/flip finish. In Schutzhund you can only have one finish and it *is* your heel command. In Rally you often have to do both on the same course but you can use whatever words or gestures you want. This is why I use the Fuss/heel command for the finish I use in Schutzhund and the "get in"/hand gesture for the flip.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks all so far.....

Ok, only a few commented on the left flip style vs around right
style heel position........

Please share the method you use. :whistle:

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I use "heel" for him to go left and flip, I use "around" for him to go right and around me. You do need both for rally...all other obedience you just need one. My dog has no issues with "heel" being both the finish and the heeling command. He just knows it means go to my side as quickly as possible.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I am a bit confused about never using a "heel" during a regular walk. I get not requiring the dog to constantly heel during a walk but why not intermittent heeling just whenever and wherever on command?

If it has no utility in the real world, why focus on it except for competition? But it does have utility in the real world.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I don't use a formal heel during walks *but* if my dog offers it I do name it and mark it. Like if he comes to me and starts prancing with eye contact I say "yes! good fuss!!" and then give him a release word.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
I am a bit confused about never using a "heel" during a regular walk. I get not requiring the dog to constantly heel during a walk but why not intermittent heeling just whenever and wherever on command?

If it has no utility in the real world, why focus on it except for competition? But it does have utility in the real world.

Very good point!

I use a real "Heel" some of the time when we are doing our "Walk thru the city" Thursday nights in a class. It really helps when the sidewalks are crowded, to have the dog concentrating on me and looking up at me.

He still needs work of course, but it is getting better and is MOST useful!

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I don't use "heel" for the regular walk - that is only for the show ring or training. When I go for a walk I use "let's go". On a regular walk I want my dogs to be free to be dogs and do what their doggy minds want to do (within reason). I will have small training breaks within my walks where I do use formal commands like "heel" and such to reinforce and to proof them in different surroundings. But the entire walk is not "heel".

I do both the "swing" (left finish) and the "go round" (right finish) - those are my words. In Rally you have to do both. In Obedience I prefer "swing" because it looks much cooler!

I do use "by me" to mean get into heel position as opposed to saying "heel". For me "heel" implies movement in a position and "by me" is simply the position I want her in. I also use "wait" instead of "stay" when doing the recall because it implies that she will be coming to me rather than me going to her to release her.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Well, I may be the different one. I use "walk" for regular loose leash walking, "heel" for stay on my left leg but I don't need eye contact (focus) and "fuss" for my focused heel.

For my finish, I use the flip method and use "fuss". For me fuss means get in position with my leg. It doesn't matter where you start from.

I use all three commands on walks if a situation comes up where I need it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I say "left" for the left finish and "go around" for a right finish. I like the left finishes.

For loose leash walking, I say "let's go". I use "heel" intermittently on walks. It is useful in some situations and it's good for practice.

You always want your commands to be clear to your dog. You don't want a word to have two meanings. If I say "come", my dog can come to me informally. If I say "front", he knows to come to me with precision.

I compete in rally and obedience. Rally is a fun way to use your obedience skills.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I use "get close!" for the flip/left finish, and "Around!' for the around finish. If you decide to do rally your dog will need to know both finishes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts