German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oakland Police Shoot, Kill Family's Yellow Lab - Local News - San Francisco Bay Area, CA - NBCBAYAREA - msnbc.com

"The Oakland Police Department is apologizing for the death of a family's dog.

Gloria, a yellow Labrador, was the only one home Tuesday when offcers arrived to check out a burglar alarm call. The Hallock family says 11-year-old Gloria had arthritis in her hips and had trouble getting around.

Oakland police say Gloria began growling and barking and then made a threatening move toward the officers as they approached. The officers shot three times -- one shot hit the dog in the head.

..."

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Good Lord!! Can you imagine coming home from the store and finding a freakin' note on your door that says "Sorry but we killed your dog"? I would have gone ballistic!

That poor family. RIP Gloria.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
The Hallocks say they want to know what police didn't use Taser, mace or pepper spray on the dog instead of going right to the deadly force of a handgun.
...or maybe just close the door? As if the burglar is still going to be there...
I'm kinda getting tired of the excuse that their job is so hard that I couldn't even imagine how hard it is. Yea. Probably... Thats why I don't do it. But they do.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if the dog was outside or inside. I'm thinking outside, because how would the police get inside the house with nobody home. But the second sentence makes me think the dog was inside. "Gloria was the only one home."

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am shocked, there is no excuse for those big brave police officers to kill poor old Gloria.What is the matter with these people..RIP Gloria you shouldn't have ended your life this way.Love Linzi and Acer XX

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Good Lord!! Can you imagine coming home from the store and finding a freakin' note on your door that says "Sorry but we killed your dog"? I would have gone ballistic!

That poor family. RIP Gloria.
are you kidding?, they would not even leave a note, nor would they say they were sorry, this is starting to become a common practice with all the police departments

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
What is with these cops????? They worry about criminals and look for ways other than hand guns to stop them but yet they go around shooting everyone's dog!!!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
They should have crated or kenneled the dog if they had a security system. It was only a matter of time before it would get set off and the police would have to investigate. Many dogs will react that way to a stranger coming onto their property, it was pretty much a guarantee that the police would shoot it if the security system ever went off.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
are you kidding?, they would not even leave a note, nor would they say they were sorry, this is starting to become a common practice with all the police departments
According to the article, they did leave a note.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
because they have a security system that
doesn't mean the motion detectors are set.

They should have crated or kenneled the dog if they had a security system. It was only a matter of time before it would get set off and the police would have to investigate. Many dogs will react that way to a stranger coming onto their property, it was pretty much a guarantee that the police would shoot it if the security system ever went off.

·
Registered
118 Posts
This makes me so **** angry. :mad:

Well, I guess if you live in Oakland you can go ahead and shoot the cops if they come on your property and look or act aggressive.

Of course, leave a note that you did so.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
because they have a security system that
doesn't mean the motion detectors are set.
I didn't say they were set, that would be pretty idiotic to set the motion sensors with a loose dog in the house :crazy:. The burglar system going off at all when no one is home is a death sentence to any dog that doesn't like intruders, especially large breeds.

People should know that an officer is fully within his/her right to shoot your dog if he/she is going after a criminal on your property and your dog is acting in a threatening manner that hinders the police officer from doing his/her job or puts his/her life in danger. Even though this is an old arthritic dog, the police officers don't know that, and it WAS acting aggressive towards them.

The point of a security system is so that it goes off when a burglar breaks in. The police have to come into your house and investigate when you aren't home. I'm not sure if the owners thought that they would never get robbed or if their golden was fine with intruders, but you can't depend on those things.

It's sad, but the police department doesn't owe them anything and none of the officer deserve to go on leave. I don't believe they've done anything wrong. If you have a security system you need to be prepared for when it goes off one day and you need to have a plan for your dog for when the police come and you aren't home.

·
Registered
655 Posts
The police were in a no-win situation. The police needed to verify that there were no family members in the house to ensure the safety of the situation. The dog was doing what it should but that was keeping the police from doing what they needed to do. Between the alarm, the dog, and the police there were 3 conflicting security measures. Two conflicting measures are difficult but 3 makes bad results much more likely.

I hate to think how I would feel if I were forced to make that decision.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The police were in a no-win situation.

I hate to think how I would feel if I were forced to make that decision.
You make a good point. A lot of people will never have to make that decision, let alone even being faced with such a decision.

When people are willing to post such things as: "I guess if you live in Oakland you can go ahead and shoot the cops if they come on your property and look or act aggressive." It really isn't going to matter what the officer(s) motives were.

DFrost

·
Registered
655 Posts
If a child was being held in the house and the police didn't clear the house because a dog (who may belong to the suspects) was blocking their path there would be a whole different outcry. If the dog was a pit bull the attitudes would also change.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Perhaps so, but I've decided I'll not try to defend or give a different perspective on threads such as this. Facts mean very little when a discussion is based on pathos. Once comments degrade to the point that it's ok to shoot police officers it only demonstrates how ignorant some can be about a situation.

DFrost

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.