German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so today has turned out horribly and still waiting right now to see how horrible its going to end.. here is what happened...

During the Canada Day Festivities Penny and I met a nice couple who has a beautiful Doberman and he invited Penny and I over for a playdate so today we went over... The dogs were playing things were fine and then about an hour into the play we were about to leave when we noticed a dollar sized spot of fur/skin that that been ripped off of the dobermans side!!! The doberman never made a noise never cried or yelped or whined or anything! There wasnt much blood and when I mean wasnt much there was a few spots of blood, yes it looked gross but it was barely bleeding so he said he was going to take him in and clean it up and Penny and I left...

Now I dont know how he found me on Facebook but he did and he sent me a message saying he needed to take his dog to the vet and wanted help paying for the bill, stating "he took a picture and sent it to the vet and they are preping for surgery!" WHA? First I dont know any vets esp. around here that you can take a picture and send it to them and they will automatically say ok we are prepping for surgery... He then goes on to state that my home owners insurance should cover the cost of the vet (for one I dont own a house, I live with my parents right now and even if I did this didnt happen on MY property it happened on his)...

Anyway so instead of "helping" with the vet bills he now wants me to pay the whole thing, which to me is ridiculous anytime you get dogs together its always at your own risk, and I have no problem paying for half of the cost but in no way should I have to pay the full amount. Penny did not to this aggressively or intentionally, we did not see it even happen and there was definitely no noise from the doberman that indicated he was hurt like that.

So I am waiting to hear back from him as to what happened at the vets, I feel bad as its Penny who caused the injury but I do not feel that I should be responsibly for the entire bill, as I said its at your own risk he invited me over for the playdate on his property ect. I will pay for half of the bill but not all of it, but he is insisting I pay the full amount...

Im stressing out and I dont want this looking bad on Penny because she is definitely NOT aggressive and does not have a mean bone in her body, she has been with at least 50 dogs in her life so far and has never done anything aggressively to any of them nor caused any harm...

UGG dont know what to do right now!

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I would find out the vet's name and address, go speak to them in person. See if they will disclose if it is the Doberman's regular vet or not. Also is it possible the fur got ripped off from something else? gravel or a tree or post?

Since both parties agreed to play, if everything seems legit, then 50% of cost is reasonable, but not 100%.

Personally, if I were to invite someone and their dog over for a play date, I would assume all the risk since I initiated it.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
How do you know Penny even did it? The doberman could have caught itself on 'something'..

Sorry I would say, sorry this happened, but I don't even know that "my" dog is responsible . Hope she's ok" And NO I would not pay the vet bill.

I would however, want to know why the dog needs surgery?????? and I would want the vets name & number..

I would also say, YOU invited ME over, the dogs were playing, again, don't even know if Penny did anything....

Tell him to email you pictures, I'd love to see what this 'wound' looks like.

·
5,627 Posts
Agree with the others. I wouldn't be paying and if I did, it would go directly to the vet after seeing an itemized bill. There is no proof that Penny caused the injury especially if you were there and no one heard or saw anything. Do not agree to anything without more information. Not sure what kind of surgery would be required?!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
How do you know Penny even did it? The doberman could have caught itself on 'something'..

Sorry I would say, sorry this happened, but I don't even know that "my" dog is responsible . Hope she's ok" And NO I would not pay the vet bill.

I would however, want to know why the dog needs surgery?????? and I would want the vets name & number..

I would also say, YOU invited ME over, the dogs were playing, again, don't even know if Penny did anything....

Tell him to email you pictures, I'd love to see what this 'wound' looks like.
I agree with Jakoda, especially on the bolded points.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I told him him that once he has seen the vet and the vet has decided what to do to let me know and we would discuss the amount I would help with, I didnt tell him I would pay half and I didnt respond when he told me that he wants me to pay for the entire bill, I simply told him that once the vet has seen him and the bill was in we would discuss it further at that point and left it at that...

They were running on grass and I did not see the doberman fall or anything and there was nothing for the dog to get caught on.. I will also mention that Penny likes to nip at heels of dogs that are fast than she is perhaps she nipped his side Im not sure...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I just got a message from him, it cost him $130 at the vet, so obviously there was no surgery involved... So I messaged and told him I would pay HALF of the cost so $65, waiting to see what he says

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
In the future, unless you know for certain your dog did it...do NOT take responsibility and even say you'll "discuss" something.

And get a copy of that bill before you hand over any money.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I wouldn't pay a dime until I talked to the vet and see what you are paying for. I would treat it like an auto accident. Never admit fault. Unless you seen penny do that to the other dog. How are you to know these people are not playing you. Be very careful with these people, especially since they looked you up. Something don't sound right about this whole thing.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
My male nips at my females all the time while engaged in play and they don't lose fur or skin and if he gets too rough they let him know it. Unless you inspected the lawn inch by inch you never know what there. Could be exposed ground rods, tree stakes left behind, maybe broken glass that was never cleaned up properly, especially if they have kids. There is no proof your dog did the damage.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
your crazy (no insult intended here!),,I wouldn't pay a stinken dime..and I would NOT tell him Penny likes to nip heels, don't give him any more ammunition!

I would want to see the bill, and I would tell him you want to see a pic of the wound.

You SHOULD NOT have told him you'd pay anything..until you see a bill and pic of the wound..

HE invited YOU onto his property,,crap happens, would you be doing what he's doing if it happened on your property? And would HE pay? I doubt it..

I would tell him right now, you want a copy of the bill and a pic of the wound, who knows he could have added stuff to the bill?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
your crazy (no insult intended here!),,I wouldn't pay a stinken dime..and I would NOT tell him Penny likes to nip heels, don't give him any more ammunition!

I would want to see the bill, and I would tell him you want to see a pic of the wound.

You SHOULD NOT have told him you'd pay anything..until you see a bill and pic of the wound..

HE invited YOU onto his property,,crap happens, would you be doing what he's doing if it happened on your property? And would HE pay? I doubt it..

I would tell him right now, you want a copy of the bill and a pic of the wound, who knows he could have added stuff to the bill?
I never told him she likes to nip heels, was just stating that to you guys to give you some idea what might have happened... And I asked him for the bill and have gotten no response, I called the vet he said he went to and they are closed.. so until I have a copy of the bill in my hand with exactly what was done I wont be paying until then, and I know I shouldnt have said I would pay anything but whats done is done, and its a very small town here and I wouldnt want him making stuff up or whatever and getting Penny and me trashed if I didnt pay I kinda felt trapped so if it clears the air and I have PROOF then I will pay half and be done with it

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
well I admire you for offering to pay half, but again, do not pay it unless you see a copy of the bill...and even then, since you don't really know these people, I would call the vet to make sure he even went there,

Make sure you are paying the half for things related to the incident, nothing extra..

Sometimes they throw in extra stuff that is not related to what happened..

Keep us updated, I STILL would like to see a pic of this "wound"

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well he just messaged me back and said that he doesnt think he should pay anything and that if it was my dog that "he would pay for all of it" and wants me to pay the full price, but Im sorry I wont do that... I will ask him to send me a picture of it, hopefully he will

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
He sounds like a con artist and maybe some fake vet is in it with him. I would insist on seeing the itemized bill from the vet in person and make him show you he is actually a vet. THEN tell him to PROVE that your dog actually did the damage. Take him to small claims court if you have to. It sounds like total BS to me. They are out for a buck. Sad that you have to be careful with your pets too. Good luck.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Tools my dog to a friends place and he was rough housing with their Great Dane. When I got home he had a wound on his leg. Took him to the vet, he needed stitches. Didn't ask for anything from my friend. Accidents happen. It'd be like asking someone to pay for a bill for a doctors appointment for my daughter if she got sick at someone else's house!
Kudos to you for offering to pay half, but like you, I would be asking for a copy of the bill and a picture of the wound. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
stand your ground, to bad , it's easy for him to say he'd pay the whole thing if it was your dog..

I also think he sounds like he just doesn't want to pay..To bad, again, HE invited YOU over, there is really no proof it was Penny that did this, she could have had this before you even got there..Since no one noticed it..

And don't forget you want a copy of the bill to..and something else, I just thought of,,if you do pay half, you go to the vet's office and pay it, DON"T give him the money..go pay it directly yourself..

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well he just told me that he would (at work tomorrow) photo copy the bill and give it to me, and if he went to the vet that he said I know all the vets there so would be easy to know if he went to a real vet...

He sent me the laws stating about dog bites this that and the other thing and I sort of want to pay the full price as the law here it is, seems that I would be in the wrong

The Dog Owners Liability Act provides that, "The owner of a dog is liable for damages resulting from a bite or attack by the dog on another person or domestic animal." R.S.O. 1990, c. D.16, s. 1.

The dog owner is not only liable in damages, but also may be convicted of a crime and fined. "The owner of a dog shall exercise reasonable precautions to prevent it from biting or attacking a person or domestic animal." 2000, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 6. If a person fails to exercise such precautions, he or she may be found "guilty of an offence and liable, on conviction, to a fine not exceeding $5,000." 2000, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 6.

There is no requirement that the dog previously bit another person. "The liability of the owner does not depend upon knowledge of the propensity of the dog or fault or negligence on the part of the owner, but the court shall reduce the damages awarded in proportion to the degree, if any, to which the fault or negligence of the plaintiff caused or contributed to the damages." R.S.O. 1990, c. D.16, s. 2 (3).

He also stated that his vet stated that it did not look like a playful bite that it was too deep which I dont know how she can say that if she doesnt even know my dog or even seen the incident and the lack of blood to me would be it wasnt very deep... So I agreed to pay all of the bill to avoid any legal involvement/having Penny taken by animal control or anything

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
Wow...this guy is a jerk. Definitely get the ORIGINAL bill and pay the vet only AND get pictures AND have him call his vet so the vet can release the information for this visit to you. This guy is nuts.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts