German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Kias loves snacking on pig ears, Purina Busybones, sticks, and water bottles. But when it comes to nighttime, bored-in-the-cage chewing I think sticks are just plain best. Give him a stick and he will chew all night long. He's never been bad about chewing, but I have no idea what your dog is like.

I've heard benebone is good, and it is getting great reviews, so maybe you could try that. They don't look very heavy, but I've never tried em.

If she likes to just gobble up what she is given, then ya, rawhide is not a good idea. In that case you should try pig ears. You can get them in bags at pet stores for cheap. That's what i suggest.
Beef trachea? That sounds interesting. I'll have to try it out.
I thought pig ears were still on recall...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
376 Posts
I thought pig ears were still on recall...?

I don't know what you mean by "recall". I see them at every pet store, and they don't give him any sickness or anything. Has there been a problem in the past with them?

·
Registered
175 Posts

I no longer see them in the big pet stores. Only see them in small feed stores which makes me question. My dogs used to love them too but I’ve stayed away from them since this.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Huh. I never heard that. He's been eating them for the past two months, about four a week, and he's not shown any symptoms, but I think I'll look into this more. I've seen them in places like Tractor Supply and I believe Walmart. Maybe I'll look for the branded packaged ones instead of the unpackaged. Thanks for letting me know.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Interesting, Penny wore her teeth down a TON on the knuckle bones. I am now trying to improve with my new girl. At what age did you start giving them antlers?
Somewhere between 2 and 3. Can't remember exactly. He lived until he was almost 12yo. So probably gnawed on antlers daily for around 10 years. He went through a lot. I've got a big box of "leftover" antlers that are about 2 inches long. I took them away when they got too short and that he might've tried to swallow those pieces. Some businesses grind the antlers down to powder and sell them in bags so that you can sprinkle the powder into their meals. Antlers supposedly have a lot of minerals and vitamins and whatever. I may try to grind them down myself someday. It would be a shame just to throw them away. He didn't do stupid stuff like trying to bite it in half. That would probably have cracked his teeth. I always bought long (rod-like) pieces and he'd pick an end and started grinding the end down. And he always brought it to me to hold it for him so he could get good leverage to gnaw on the end. It was good bonding time and also gave me a chance to supervise his activity for safety. It was also a good way for him to kill time and get his frustrations out.

My current dog isn't that into it like the first one was. And he only likes the paddle part of the moose antlers, especially the ones that are softer. He can go through one 1foot long 3 inches wide paddle piece in a night...so I have to supervise his gnawing too. He also has a big elk antler...it's about 2 feet long and as thick as a baseball bat. That thing is heavy and he likes to throw that thing around. In fact he's already cracked a couple of kitchen tile flooring doing that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
We are trying the trachea. The puppy Rose goes after it with gusto. She eventually consumes it, but in fairly slow and controlled fashion, i.e., it lasts a few days. We take it away occasionally if her interest is on something else. No digestive issues so far. It has been some years since I've had a puppy. With this girl, it is not constant teething. She usually wants to sink her teeth in something in the morning, especially, then a couple times per day. When she starts grabbing my shoestrings or my pants leg, I know she needs a chewing fix. She just turned 5 months, and the vet thinks she has maybe two thirds of adult teeth either in or at least popped through. Anyway, as of now, it is not the 24/7 chewing that I thought I recalled from earlier dogs.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts