German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pup is now between 4-5 mo. old, and teething. Inscisors came in, others on the way. She loves shoelaces and can scissor them in no time flat.

Our vet had a poster up in office praising rawhide chew toys. The poster said soft nylabones were OK, but harder ones as well as hard animal bones could chip teeth.

The poster "ranked" the chew toys as follows: rawhide best, because they tend to like it more, and actually use it instead of chewing on stuff they shouldn't; downplayed the issue of them swallowing some if it.

Kong toys and soft nylabones also good, according to the vet poster. .

Hard nylabones and hard animal bones not good. It is probably non-issue on hard nylabones for me, b/c my pup shows little interest in them anyway.

But what do other members think about rawhide chews? This pup loves rawhide, and it works for redirecting. But I am a little concerned about her actually eating them. Which WILL happen if she gets them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We use rawhide free items instead of true rawhides. Pork Chomps are great and lately we bought SmartBones peanut butter and vegetable. Not sure if anyone else here uses them, but I'm sure they do.

·
Super Moderator
2,395 Posts
Kinda depends on how voracious of a chewer your dog is, and how much you want to spend. Some of the rawhide alternative options are great, but they add up real fast ($) if your dog is relentless.

One of mine would chew a while, and then wander off. The other two would happily devour an entire giant rawhide from start to finish, if given the chance.

Right now I'm getting through teething using - 1. Toppls, stuffed with regular puppy kibble, filled with water, and then frozen solid. 2. Outward Hound slow feeder bowls, filled with kibble and then frozen solid. 3. 6" tracheas, packed full of soaked kibble mush, and then frozen solid. 4. Occasional bully sticks, but these add up ($) fast. I'm sure there will be some rawhide gifts given at Christmas. I let them chew for a while but then take them away for the day.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you can get non weightbearing raw bones, they are the best (IMO). I get meaty knuckle bones from my local raw company (K9 Kraving) and my dogs go to town on them. It's usually the marrow bones that cause chipping. Raw frozen chicken necks, turkey necks and wings, chicken backs. Pig/Cow ears on occasion.
For younger puppies, I like frozen carrots. I do bully sticks, beef trachea, hooves and horns, too. I worry about rawhide and the rawhide alternatives since my youngest (Steel) will swallow large chunks if I'm not watching him carefully.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Another thing we did was we bought a Kong that was made for teething puppies (different material) and put softened kibble into the freezer. She loves to chew on it and it keeps her busy for a little bit

·
Registered
495 Posts
Bully sticks and puppy-level Nylabones (they're a little softer). But at 4-5 months when their gums are itching and painful, bully sticks or beef trachea. Both are fibrous and massage the gums while remaining safely edible.

We didn't use hard materials (like deer antlers) until about 10-12 months when the second chewing phase started and anything made of wood in the house was at risk. This is when the adult teeth are being set into the jaw and the dog is developing full bite pressure--hence the intense chewing on tougher materials.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good suggestions, thanks. Where does one get beef tracheas? Butcher shop?

This pup is relentless when she is chewing, but it kind of comes in waves Sometimes she just wants to run and play, other times she wants to grab your pant legs or shoestrings. Thankfully, knock on wood, she has diverted her attention from electric cords, though we still keep an eye on that. No zaps yet, and we want to keep it that way. I was a little startled when the power went out this morning, but she was at my feet with no cords in reach. Turns out a transformer blew.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I was always told 1.NO RAWHIDE
2. NO ANTLERS
3. ONLY SOFT NYLABONES
4. HOOVES CAN DAMAGE TEETH.

I have ordered turkey necks & lamb trotter bones myself.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Potatoes, carrots, plastic water bottles, and an old tennis shoe is what I find mine generally prefer.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think that depends on what type of chewer the dog is.

Some dogs chew like it's going out of style, and will chew for long periods of time or for many sessions in a day. Others chew less aggressively and for shorter periods of time or fewer sessions a day. Hard bones/antlers are probably terrible for aggressive chewers and could lead to cracked teeth. I don't think they'd be as harmful for the less aggressive chewers who aren't putting as much pressure down when they bite and tend to stop after 20-30 minutes.

·
Registered
30,708 Posts
Our vet had a poster up in office praising rawhide chew toys.

The poster "ranked" the chew toys as follows: rawhide best, because they tend to like it more, and actually use it instead of chewing on stuff they shouldn't; downplayed the issue of them swallowing some if it.

Kong toys and soft nylabones also good, according to the vet poster. .
This is literally the first vet I've seen recommending rawhides. Does your vet get a kickback on doing surgeries for obstructions? So strange...

Teething doesn't last that long. I give antlers, whole neck bones cut in about 3" length, lamb horns and benebones. Kongs are always good when supervised. I'm more concerned about the puppy getting its jaw stuck in a kong than teeth broken on an antler or neck bone.

I did that secret santa thing going around facebook and someone sent the gingerbread man to the dogs
It's a pretty neat item.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am wondering about this too. But just a side note on the knuckle bones . . . I gave them to my Penny when she was year and a half about once a week and she loved them. Well they also wore her teeth down for life. I had stopped giving her rawhides back then after reading about the dangers and dog's consuming them. About the knucklebones, perhaps I could have limited her time with them. I honestly don't remember now how long it took her to finish one (this was a decade ago). It's just a word of caution. I was so young and ignorant. It didn't even occur to me her teeth could be damaged back then, I stupidly assumed she would stop doing something if it hurt her!!! Live and learn.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm pro antlers. I've spent thousands of dollars on antlers alone with my previous dog. He gnawed on deer and elk antlers half an hour each day after dinner. Never cracked a tooth. But they were a little ground down towards the end of his life. My vet said that he's never seen a cleaner set of teeth. In his whole life, you can count on one hand how many times I brushed his teeth.

The current one only gnaws on moose antlers. And he doesn't do it as regularly or often as the other guy did.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm pro antlers. I've spent thousands of dollars on antlers alone with my previous dog. He gnawed on deer and elk antlers half an hour each day after dinner. Never cracked a tooth. But they were a little ground down towards the end of his life. My vet said that he's never seen a cleaner set of teeth. In his whole life, you can count on one hand how many times I brushed his teeth.

The current one only gnaws on moose antlers. And he doesn't do it as regularly or often as the other guy did.
Interesting, Penny wore her teeth down a TON on the knuckle bones. I am now trying to improve with my new girl. At what age did you start giving them antlers?

·
Registered
30,708 Posts
Knuckle bones are hard. They are weight bearing bones. While the joint itself is softer, it's attached to the leg bone. It really depends on how hard your dog chews. I didn't give hard things to Jax. She would crack a marrow bone in half lengthwise.

If you are looking for a softer chew that lasts, look at the lamb or waterbuffalo horns. They are made of keratin so once they start chewing the end softens. They just smell awful.

·
Registered
376 Posts
NO rawhides in my book.
Kias loves snacking on pig ears, Purina Busybones, sticks, and water bottles. But when it comes to nighttime, bored-in-the-cage chewing I think sticks are just plain best. Give him a stick and he will chew all night long. He's never been bad about chewing, but I have no idea what your dog is like.

I've heard benebone is good, and it is getting great reviews, so maybe you could try that. They don't look very heavy, but I've never tried em.

If she likes to just gobble up what she is given, then ya, rawhide is not a good idea. In that case you should try pig ears. You can get them in bags at pet stores for cheap. That's what i suggest.

Beef trachea? That sounds interesting. I'll have to try it out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts