German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well - we found another canned food that Jack will eat! the Nutro Natural Choice Herring and Sweet Potato. It has a nice fishy smell and he was like "....what is that daddy?" And he licked at it and then opened his mouth like a bird for me to put the food in. He is toooo funny when he eats. I think the next small bag of kibble I add to his food will be the Herring...seems he might like fish products!

Anyone else use this particular product?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got home a bit ago and stopped by Petsmart and picked up a small bag of the Herring formula for Jack. I thought I would try to just give him a few kibbles as a snack...well he is kind of hot from being outside - so he wasn't too interested...of course he isn't a BIG kibble dog anyway.

Now here is the fun part - Cotton went to the bowl and looked at him like "if you are not going to eat that I will" So I moved the bowl away from jack and Cotton swooped in and gobbled most of it up - I think my girl is a fish eating dog! She wouldn't even let Tabatha, one of my cats, come near it - she gave her a small growl look with no sound and Tabatha stepped back. As Cotton went to get water and turned around, Tabatha was in the bowl eating some and as Cotton came back Tabatha opened up her mouth and hissed at her like "missy - you left girl, it's my turn now!" They are a trip.

So now I have another brand that looks like, at least on early assessment, as one that I could potentially get them all one since the kibble size is perfect for mixing with Jack's food. I still have some Pro Plan left...so not going to be anytime soon as I need to go through those bags...but at least something to rotate. I'm trying to make sure they stay consistent with one brand for at least 6 months to a year before I rotate and try another food. At least for now, I can use the small Herring kibbles to add as a small portion to Jack's canned food.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Please please please don't feed Jack, Nutro!! It's not good for a healthy dog, worse for a sick one! Stick with the Pro Plan or Kumpi or whatever is working for him but don't feed him such a toxic food. If there is one brand of food I can not and will NEVER trust again, it's Nutro. If you Google about their products you'll see they've got a LOT of quality control issues and a shocking amount of pets have kidney/liver damage and even failure because of this food. Death is pretty common. The problems I had with it are quite a common complaint. Zoey became so lethargic/depressed she wouldn't get up to even go potty unless we forced her to, she had very little interest in the food, she was vomiting blood, she had bloody diarrhea, ect. This was from a dog who before I started her on Nutro (and after taking her off!) was a happy, healthy and active dog who never saw a sick day in her life, has a stomach made of steel and eats -everything-! I know of at least one other owner on this forum who had the SAME problems. DURING A NON-RECALLED TIME!!! And the company doesn't give a **** when your pet becomes sick from eating their food. Never ever ever again!! I've had more success in the past feeding Alpo and Gravy Train!!!

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
I'm a big fan of California Natural! :thumbup:

If I was looking for canned foods I'd go for stinky cat foods or just add canned fish. Or if he likes "people food", try something like Halo Spots Stew! It looks and smells so good I'd eat it! LOL!! If you can find raw green tripe (I think once you said you lived in NC?? If so you can get it from Blue Ridge Beef! :) They're a great company, several pet stores around the state carry their products but they also do personal home deliveries.) I bet Jack would go nuts over it! And it's beneficial to the dogs digestion as well.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
nc is where jack was adopted. robert doesnt live there.

Robert, i do agree with those who have said to avoid Nutro. the one time we tried it for our dogs, they were sick the whole time. Recently learned my aunts dog was on nutro and went out from kidney failure at the age of 3. only AFTER her dog died did she research the food. Even her vet suspects it was the food that did her in because she had her on a beneful flavor since she was a puppy and switched over to Nutro because she wanted to feed a better food and thought Nutro was the way to go.... went downhill real quick after that.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Btw...

Natural raw pet food diet, beef | chicken foods for dogs or cats, natural animal nutrition - Southeastern

In case you're interested! I don't even bother with meats from the grocery store anymore unless I'm buying bones. I don't know how the prices are at other stores or through delivery but I buy it from Natures Emporium in Burlington and pay $4.60 for 5lb. It last a long time too, just a little (Maybe a couple tablespoons for a dog of Jacks size) mixed into the food drives the dogs CRAZY! Their fatty beef is the same price which I also feed a lot of. Their chicken, turkey, venison, quail, rabbit, organ mix, ect are roughly $1-$1.50/lb as well. Very very reasonable! Some come with ground bones and some are just plain muscle meat. They do have more varieties than they list on the site it just varies by store but if you contact them they can give you a full list of meats you can buy. They come in 2, 5 and 30 pounds. I'm a big fan. :)

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Ahh was posting at the same time. I could have sworn he had his location set at NC once though. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else! Oh well, at least if anyone in NC comes through they'll have some info on a good company to buy raw from. ;) They are available in other states as well but I figured I'd mention those specifically since I thought he lived there.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Ahh was posting at the same time. I could have sworn he had his location set at NC once though. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else! Oh well, at least if anyone in NC comes through they'll have some info on a good company to buy raw from. ;) They are available in other states as well but I figured I'd mention those specifically since I thought he lived there.

you may have been thinkin of me since at the time Jack came into the picture, i was living in NC at camp lejeune. Robert was in Raleigh for work and pulled Jack and brought him my way but Jack was so scared he wasnt moving from the car even for something as tempting as mickey d's chicken strips! All i know though. Who knows. lol. We found a butcher we really liked... kinda wish we could have packed him up and moved him with us!

Robert, give Jack some loves for me!

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
I knew you were in NC for a while but yeah. Idk...It's 2am and I'm running on 5 hours of sleep + been in bed watching horror movies for 10 HOURS with my "slightly" obsessed boyfriend....Maybe my brain is just a little fried. Lol!

But yeah, I hope he can find something else that Jack likes. And hey, there is always the slaughter houses and local farms to hit up no matter where you live!! :) After seeing the difference in my dogs eating tripe, I'm pretty sold on it, smelly or not!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I knew you were in NC for a while but yeah. Idk...It's 2am and I'm running on 5 hours of sleep + been in bed watching horror movies for 10 HOURS with my "slightly" obsessed boyfriend....Maybe my brain is just a little fried. Lol!

But yeah, I hope he can find something else that Jack likes. And hey, there is always the slaughter houses and local farms to hit up no matter where you live!! :) After seeing the difference in my dogs eating tripe, I'm pretty sold on it, smelly or not!

haha nice. sounds like a "scary" day. i think after 10 hours of horror movies.... i dont blame you if your brain is fried. I'm sticking with kibble. Easier and my dogs seem to enjoy that whole crunch, take another bite, crunch, mom are you listening?! CRUNCH CRUNCH!!! lol get some sleep!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yeah - I'm a MN person but moved to MN from NC - but my job had me traveling about a year back to NC and then I go ever so often to NC - when I picked up Jack - I forget where I am half the time!

Last night he had his Pedigree canned + some Pedigree Healthy Longevity mixed in. I'll do some more research on the Nutro food. His main staple will probably stay the Pedgiree canned. I was just looking for other things to give him different textures, flavors and of course fish oils in his food. When I say variation...just a small portion of his diet (less than 10 - 15%). I want to keep him pretty consistent. I'll check out the Cal. Natural next go around. The others for now are staying on Pro Plan sooo probably the best bet until I know more - plus they like it.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did a few google searches on Nutro. Will see how my cats continue to do - they have been on Nutro Natural Choice Mature Indoor Care for a week (exclusively) and thus far I've been impressed. The vomitting and hairballs with Simba have stopped. And I needed that to happen - he was gonig through a bad phase of hairballs and vomit after each meal. Not anymore. He does have sensitive system. He does well with most any food he tries...but the real key will be in the 3rd month....if he starts vomiting or has hairballs every day in the 3rd month then he probabaly needs a change. The other cats do fine eating most anything with usually no issues.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I give the Frozen Green Tripe as treats on occasion...they love that smelly stuff.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Robert, give Jack some loves for me!
Jack says hello this morning - he was barking, running around...he is my alarm clock now - I never have to set it....up no later than 6:15...although sometimes he gets me up at 5:30 to see if i will feed him sooner rather than at 6:30 - what a stinker!

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
I'm sticking with kibble. Easier and my dogs seem to enjoy that whole crunch, take another bite, crunch, mom are you listening?! CRUNCH CRUNCH!!! lol get some sleep!
I feed kibble too atm, I just add a variety of raw to my dogs foods. :p Tripe is the main "extra" though, I feed it daily. My dogs have always had good poops, teeth/breath, coat, muscle, ect but even on a good quality kibble I see a difference with tripe added (plus the fact the dogs LOVE it!) which is why I'm a big fan of it no matter what you feed. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts