German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the day has come, life as we know it is about to change. We currently have a 6 month old GSD, Atlas, so we will be taking the fulfilling journey of having two GSDs. I will be picking up a 8wk old GSD puppy (Bane or Zues) tomorrow morning. We get to go thru the landshark stage again, getting up every two hours in the middle of the night, twice the expense and the three times as much work having two, but we are looking forward to it.

I have a plan on how to introduce them to each other but would love to hear any recommendations others might have.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Banned
120 Posts
awww enjoy that short but somewhat really fun young puppy time! =]
well.. with my dogs the introduction was always very easy.. i would put them together when they are both calm and let them slowly get to know eachother.. don´t rush them and keep a close eye. and again.. enoy! and good luck to your hands, feet and furniture :p

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice :)
They do grow fast. It was just yesterday Atlas was a land shark terror and a half, but now he is over that stage. Hopefully the second time around won't be as bad LOL

·
Registered
252 Posts
My girl was 7 months old when we brought our second one - a boy home..I had her outside to meet him. She immediately loved him.

At first I was so afraid that she would hurt him, they play rough. One great thing is that he Never nipped at us! It was always on our girl, while I felt bad for her I was thrilled it wasn't my ankles.lol
My two do everything together. They wouldn't even eat in separate bowls, so we just have one large one.
The cutest thing is watching them play outside. They run, run, run and run some more. Then they'll come in and snuggle up together-
At first it was a but overwhelming but it didn't last long.
I couldn't imagine not having both of them.

My girl is 13 months weighs 54 pds, my boy is 8 months and 82 pds of solid muscle. So I watch that he doesn't hurt her know because they play rough. Wait until both of them are barking at your door. Haha it's loud.
I did get the easy walk harness because two is so much more than one. With the harness I can walk both together and actually put the leashes in one hand.

Everyone thought I was nuts getting a second one but having two GSD is Awesome????
Have fun with your new addition,hope to see lots of pictures

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply AngVi. The initial interaction went very well, my 6 month old is getting used to him and the little guy has no reservation or fear of messing around with his big brother.
I'll post some pics soon :)

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
It is wonderful having more than one dog. But please make sure that each get separate time with you. They need to bond with YOU not the other dog. While it us great having digs that love each other, you want them to be able to be independent if one another. So separate obedience classes, separate walks, do one on one things with each if them.

Good luck. Can't wait to see pictures!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great advice gsdsar, and definitely will. Atlas, the six month old, has really bonded with me, and Bane, the 8 week old is gravitating to the wife. We have been doing one on one time with both already and will continue to do so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts