German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
River, our 11 month old GSD has had loose stools/diarrhea for the last 2-3 weeks. Actually, she has had this problem off and on since we got her at 8 weeks, but never this bad. For a few months there, she was doing well on Wellness Large Breed puppy food - good solid stools, albeit sometimes somewhat soft.

Then, 2-3 weeks ago she started having very loose stools and even diarrhea. The diarrhea is watery in consistency and can range from brown to orange in color. She is still very regular and only poops 2-3 times daily.

Our vet gave put her on Metronidazole, which did nothing. She also put her on Amoxicillin, which was seemingly ineffective as well. She gave us some probiotics to try, which also did not work. We also tried feeding boiled chicken and rice, which did nothing either.

She was tested for Giardia, which was negative.

Then, we had her blood sample sent to Texas A & M for the TLI test for EPI. This was also negative, per our veterinarian, with a number of 13.1.

Her fecal sample was negative for parasites as well.

She is not losing any weight - she is a bit over 70lbs. Nothing else about her has changed - she is still very happy, energetic, etc. I take her to the high school field daily and play ball with her, which she loves.

Today I bought some canned pumpkin and put 1.5 tablespoons in her food this evening. Her next stool was diarrhea, but that was just minutes after she ate. I guess we'll see tomorrow if the pumpkin works at all.

Any other suggestions? Any help/ideas would be tremendously appreciated.

I'm not sure what this could mean, but this bout of diarrhea seemed to coincide with her new doggy daycare. She was "kicked out" of the vet's daycare because she was over the 70lb weight limit, so we had to find this new one.

She does seem to have stress issues with her stomach, but even when she wasn't at the daycare that day, she still has diarrhea.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Have you considered adding digestive enzymes to her food? We have been using Prozyme for a foster dog, who had diarrhea issues. It took a little time, but gradually went from liquid, to diarrhea, to pudding and now firm. (I know, not great description).

It has really worked for us . . . .

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I've never fed puppy food either. Stosh is pretty sensitive to chicken so when he had giargdia I fed him brown rice with cooked ground beef. Maybe it's the chicken

·
Registered
397 Posts
First thing first is to stop him having yucky poop. Stop feeding him for at least 18 hours but offer water as usual, after the 18 hours is up go by this, this is what helped me tremendously... if you think chicken is an issue you can switch the chicken for boiled hamburg, you may also add on heaping teaspoon of pumpkin ( just pumpkin no spices or anything added) to each meal

Day 1- Am feeding 3/4 brown rice 3/4 C chicken
afternoon same thing
pm Same thing

Day 2- same as Day 1

Day 3- AM 1/2 c brown Rice 1/2 cup chicken 1/2 cup kibble
same from afternoon and Pm

Day 4- Same as day 3

Day 5- 1/4 C brown rice 1/4 chicken 1 cup kibble
same for afternoon and pm

Day 6 same as day 5

Day 7 all kibble

if on any of the days you noitce loose stool again go back to the previous day. You can also add in one heaping table spoon of pumpkin to each meal. This is what I Have been doing for almost 2 weeks and its been a god send.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If this continues, you may want to talk to her vet about IBD. Jones had very similar symptoms on and off, and we finally had him scoped and biopsied, and IBD was the diagnosis.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the suggestions. Our vet said she was going to look everything over and we will meet with her on Monday or Tuesday. She was really expecting it to be EPI. She had wanted us to do the TLI test for some time, but we just didn't feel like the symptoms matched up.

The nurse stated on the phone that we might have to put her on Tylan longterm. Does anyone know anything about Tylan?

Thanks again - we are willing to try anything at this point. If the vet can't come up with anything reasonable, we will try the 7 day routine suggested above.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The only thing I know about tylan is that it really helped some dogs and it is safe for long term use. If the vet feels that is an option for your dog you may want to look into purchasing it somewhere besides the vet. You can get it alot cheaper on amazon.com than the vets office (usually)

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Is he getting anything other than kibble? Like bully sticks or bones? Just wondering if some treat is causing problems. When we switched to Orijen LBP, Abby's stools firmed up a lot and quantity decreased. Jkg2383's plan looks like a real good one. My only thought is that white rice might be easier on his bowels. Been there, done that.... yuck. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I like to use the brown rice because white has little to no nutritional value. At least with brown is has some.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My vet suggests using brown rice because it has more fiber and a few minerals- and it tastes better too. I'm always amazed at what poop experts we all become once we have a gsd- kind of like reading tea leaves

·
Registered
849 Posts
My shep has had the same problem since we got her. Tested neg for everything. She can eat BG salmon (before Grain) This is the only food that she will have reliable solid stools on. ANY other food makes liquid or pudding poos. No treats, no raw, no anything but this one food works for us. I wish we knew why. The vets have said she'll probably out grow it, but she's 21 months now and still an issue. There was 1 other food we had once that also worked, but I've forgotten which it was.

Pumpkin will work. It worked for Jiva anyway.
Good luck with this frustrating problem!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts