German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gracie has been called a Mal before and various other types of dogs. Okay, no big deal but I draw the line at CAT!

We went to the vet this AM as Gracie was scratching her ear until it bled last night. She has an infection. When we were leaving I had her hooked up to the little metal thing that holds the leash while you check out. A woman and her 3 kids were there with their cat. The littlest of the 3, probably 3 maybe just 4 years old said to me, "Can I pet your cat?" What honey?, thinking I misheard her. "Can I pet your cat?" I fought back the laughter, told her yes, instructed her to pet her body not her head then thanked her for petting my DOG and for asking first. Her mom was surprised she asked and I said, yes she asked to pet my CAT. The mom looked Gracie up and down saying, "Pretty big CAT!" Everyone in the office was side-splitting laughing!
Gracie, of course, took it all in stride.

Now, the ear flush and drops....I expect that to be another story.....

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
well Gracie is a beautiful kitty Cat!!!!!!!

people will say the stupidest things

·
Registered
932 Posts
it is a new breed of cat..lol

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
makes you want one!!!!
sign me up

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Here kitty kitty kitty!!!!

Must be the day for ear issues. Hunter has an ear infection also!

Lu

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
If the child doesnt have dogs at home and never been around dogs and has only been around cats, then its perfectly normal.

Its probably something the mom just never really thought about or thought the child was to young to really get.

My son at 3 would get cows and horses mixed up. It didnt help that some of the farmers kept them in the same field either or that some horses were the same colors as cows, etc etc. lol. To a small child like that, they often times can get confused and sometimes its safter to go with what they DO know. Doesnt mean they need to "devolpe" more...it is devolping and working things out. (maybe he saw a cat the same color as your dog, or around the same color) and it sure doesnt make them stupid. It just makes them THREE.

I thought it was cute.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
That is too cute!!

I bet her mom thought it pretty funny too. I sm sure that she will have it figured out by the time she goes to school.

·
Registered
315 Posts
LOL Too cute!

Reminds me of a little girl I met on my walk last night. She wanted the Chuk-It I was carrying. When I told her it was Lily's toy and she would miss it --- the little girl told me I could always buy another one for my dinosaur! HUH?! I wasn't sure whether to laugh or what, but I continued on my merry way and calmy explained to Lily that she was NOT a dinosaur

G

·
0 Posts
Actually I've heard this before and as I recall it had to do with the child being used to dogs whose ears flopped down. Pointy ears that go up mean cat to them. Not all that surprising in a 3 year old.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I love it!!!

When Jackson was a wee pup I took a picture of him sound asleep, flat on his back...posted it at another board (non-GSD) and my friends there said he looked like a cat! So the running joke is now about my 55 pound cat...

·
Registered
184 Posts
That is cute! I have had a little girl call Diesel a fox before.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'm a fool for a few things in life....

1. GSD's
2. Babies
3. Toddler (they're so funny)
4. Kids

I thought that was so cute......about like when my niece was a tot, she was calling a big mixed breed dog a duck...and everytime you would tell her no, it's a dog, she would argue back in her babling and still call it a duck
...She is 11 yrs old now, and does know the difference between animals.... I agree the child isn't stupid or dumb, just young, she'll learn soon!! But thats a cute story!

·
Registered
25 Posts
LOL, that story made my day. Little kids are so funny.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Being a preschool teacher, I find the overgeneralization stage absolutely hysterical. I laughed and laughed, after the little girl left of course. It made my day and every time I think of it again, I smile.....it's usually when I am cleaning Gracie's ears and she's flinging all the ear flush at me.....

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
the little was probably saw a white tiger on TV and figured your dog was something like that!

Kids do say the wackiest things. Yesterday, I stopped for a woman in the crosswalk. My 5 year old knows all about red lights and stop signs so he asked 'why did you stop?' So I told him 'I didn't want to run that lady over. She's wearing a pretty skirt but I wouldn't want her to dent my hood, she's kinda fat'. So my son told me I should put her in the trunk and take her to the YMCA so she could work out!!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Ive had a couple of kids call Dieter a "cat" too... but only when he was a pup.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts