German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I need some help which would help me retain my boy with me, I am really worried
1. Are GSDs possessive? Shud my boy sees me with my kids n wife he brews anmity with them, ohhh he is 18 months n have stayed with me away from my family n has never seen them less wen he was 2 mnths old for a mnth he stayed with US n then with ME only. He is not friends with any of them n I fear that someday I might not hav situation.
2. Why is he enemy to alllllllllllllll animals in world. He took on a calf, then his mother COW, one day a snake, then 2, 3 sheep n list goes on on on....
3. Very interestingly he doesnot say a thing to other people, some just go to him....hug him n play with him....n tthe tail does not stop wagging.
4. Why......NO kidssss at alllllll.....so strange for me.
5. One day..I just let him go near my son....he sniffed him n then placed fore legs on his shoulders......as if he was a pastry....No bitting.
6. A day few kids gathered behind him....He was busy staring at a cow...did not realize abt kids...n then he did realize finall5....n turned around n swept area behind back...to ward them alll......BACK OFF n again he was busy in the cow....drooooling.....Shepards are supposed to tend cow n kettles...
I dont know wats going on in his head....can some one telll me...please

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
What have you done as far as training and socializing him?
It seems to me that your boy is resource guarding you.
I would not allow him to put his front paws on a child's shoulders. That is a dominant posture and should not be allowed.
Children do what prey usually does: move around quickly, make fast motions, and use high- pitched, excited voices. Therefore, German Shepherds generally consider kids to be beneath them, so they must be taught to respect children.

Sheep, cows are prey. Your boy seems to have a very high prey drive. I would direct it towards a ball or flirt pole.

Correct him, and do not allow him to his own devices.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Lazawal,

First do not give up, hang in there. The problems could be serious and should be addressed but also these dogs go through stages as they mature, you mentioned he is 18 months old so it maybe a phase. A phase that needs training and guidance.

Second, perhaps this thread would be better placed in the forum about aggression, it seems more applicable there? One of the moderators can help with that.

Third, I looked at your photo album and your dog is gorgeous. I can see that you have committed to him and it shows in his appearance.

I know you may not have the same training resources in your country we have here in the U.S. so I hope that you can get the help you need.

Best wishes to you and your beautiful dog.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I also saw pics of your dog, he is absolutely gorgeous. Try researching on the internet or look into ordering some training videos. Also I hope this site gets some more chiming in on what could be happening and some good sites for training. I also check out free youtube videos on training. I especially like Michael Ellis videos as he works with both positive rewards and corrections.

Also do a search here for ecollars (ecollars give the dog a correction, but the correction has to be done before the dog gets too focused on the prey) and prong type correction collars. There are even free youtube videos and videos you can buy to learn how to use them correctly. I do not have too much experience with the collars as I havent started using them yet. Amazon has very good prices.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts