German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is getting warmer so the dogs are starting to shed their winter coats. This weekend we wanted to brush them all. My two sables took about 5 min. each using two different brushes and I got what I thought was a good amount of hair off them. Little did I know, I then started on Rocco. 45 min. later I was still getting hair off him and had a pile of hair to equal a fourth dog! All said and done they all liked to be brushed and Rocco loved the attention. Here they are all brushed fluffed and folded. I guess I will start setting aside more time every week for Rocco.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
They're gorgeous :wub:

·
Super Moderator
5,850 Posts
They are beautiful!Things could be worse,imagine three coaties,lol!

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
My longhaired GSD was almost non shedding. I have heard the same from others that own longhaired dogs in general. Now, the stock coated GSDs are a shedding nightmare.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My longhaired GSD was almost non shedding. I have heard the same from others that own longhaired dogs in general. Now, the stock coated GSDs are a shedding nightmare.
Funny part is we have not seen a great deal of hair around the house, they just looked like they needed us to work on their undercoats. The amount of hair we took off Rocco shocked me a bit.

·
Registered
31,829 Posts
I don't know if Mufasa sheds more, or if his locks just tie themselves in knots, but he is definitely a LOT harder to manage coat-wise than my standard coats. Lassie does not have a coat, but being full sister to Moofie, out of Odessa and Herko, her coat is more irritating than the coats out of the Arwen/Dubya lines mixed with Gispo -- they are the easiest. Arwen/Dubya mixed with Herko are a little more irritable. Arwen/Dubya mixed with Rushie -- easy. Jenna/Gispo mixed with Herko is in-between, some are easy, some are tougher. In short, it's all Herko's fault.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
They're beautiful. We get enough undercoat from our two coaties to knit winter coats...:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
They're beautiful. We get enough undercoat from our two coaties to knit winter coats...:)

I have long hair and we were thinking about starting making pillows, love her looks but man, this hair tangles, especially behind the ears and it is pain to maintain it during shedding times. Got new sheers just to help with this.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I can brush my "normal" haired GSD until I'm blue in the face. The fur just keeps on coming. I usually keep it to 5-10 minutes.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I have long hair and we were thinking about starting making pillows, love her looks but man, this hair tangles, especially behind the ears and it is pain to maintain it during shedding times. Got new sheers just to help with this.
The ear floofies get messy quick, but I don't want to cut them..

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
To work the matts out from the arm pits and behind the ears and just to make brushing out a coatie easier on both you and the dog and quicker overall, work cornstarch into the coat before you start - and on the matts as you work. Cheap, safe, effective.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts