German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Sinister a Stock Coat or a Plush Coat?

His whole body has long hairs on it but he is not a Long Coat.

I have measured his belly hair before and it is 3" long.

His mother was a Stock Coat and his father was a Long Coat

Here he is as a puppy

In this picture if you look closely you can see his long hair under his belly

Here he is compared to a 5 month old female GSD puppy look at the difference in their tails

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Stock.

Though technically there is no such thing as a "plush" coat. It is just a laymen's term to describe the dog, and has different meanings to different people. Some use it to refer to a long stock coat with relatively short hair for most long coats. Others use it to refer to a stock coat with longer and fuller hair than is more commonly seen on most stock coats. But by either definition of "plush" Sinister would not be a plush.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stock.

Though technically there is no such thing as a "plush" coat. It is just a laymen's term to describe the dog, and has different meanings to different people. Some use it to refer to a long stock coat with relatively short hair for most long coats. Others use it to refer to a stock coat with longer and fuller hair than is more commonly seen on most stock coats. But by either definition of "plush" Sinister would not be a plush.
Stock Coat is short hair though right?

His hair isn't short. He has a bushy tail and long hair on his belly. Still a Stock coat?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Not to hijack your thread but now I am wondering too....LOL
I know that Zisso is a Long Coat

And while I know that Plush Coat is just a term used to describe the length and thickness of the coat type, I wonder what others would consider Nadia to be

They bother have the fluffy butts and the leggings/feathers ... as a matter of fact, Nadia has more fluff and feathers than Z does.

Hmmmm..now that I look at them this way, maybe they are both Long Coats?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to hijack your thread but now I am wondering too....LOL
I know that Zisso is a Long Coat

And while I know that Plush Coat is just a term used to describe the length and thickness of the coat type, I wonder what others would consider Nadia to be

They bother have the fluffy butts and the leggings/feathers ... as a matter of fact, Nadia has more fluff and feathers than Z does.

Hmmmm..now that I look at them this way, maybe they are both Long Coats?
Both of them are beautiful! They both look like Long Coats to me

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Interestingly enough I have always considered Nadia to be a plush coat, so to speak. But the more I think about it, I am beginning to lean towards a coatie :) Especially when I vacuum, clean the truck out, etc...Tons of long dog hair and I can't tell the diff between who's is who's!

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Sinister is a stock coat. A plush coated dog by MY definition is one with lots of undercoat, making them appear plush.

Stock coats can come in different lengths as well. Natty has a longer coat than Kizzy.

Natty

Kizzy

Nadia and Zisso are both long coats. You can tell by the fuzz around the ears and the fluffy butts.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Andaka~Thank you! I had to laugh at myself for even thinking for a second that Nadia was a plush coat! Especially since she has the ear fuzzies, the leg feathers, and the hugely fluffy butt! No wonder the carpets look like another coatie LMBO!! However I do have to say that Nadia has waaaay more undercoat than Zisso does.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Stock Coat is short hair though right?

His hair isn't short. He has a bushy tail and long hair on his belly. Still a Stock coat?
There are only 2 coat types in the GSD: Stock coat and Long coat (or 3 if you separate Long coat and Long stock coat)

Within each type, individual dogs will vary. Some LCs have very long hair, some not so much. Some have very full, thick undercoats, some not so much.

Same for stock coats. Some stock coats have very short coats with little undercoat, like the white you posted. Some have fuller coats with longer hair and heavier undercoats. Both are still stock coats.

Sinister is a stock coat. So is the white.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are only 2 coat types in the GSD: Stock coat and Long coat (or 3 if you separate Long coat and Long stock coat)

Within each type, individual dogs will vary. Some LCs have very long hair, some not so much. Some have very full, thick undercoats, some not so much.

Same for stock coats. Some stock coats have very short coats with little undercoat, like the white you posted. Some have fuller coats with longer hair and heavier undercoats. Both are still stock coats.

Sinister is a stock coat. So is the white.
Oh, ok. Thank you for clearing that up. :)

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
There are two "official", for lack of a better term, coat types in German Shepherds - stock coats and long stock coats. Long stock coats are what people usually refer to as "long coats" and usually abbreviate LC on forums, and stock coats are the "regular" coats.

When people say "plush coat", they refer to stock coats that are more fluffy / have more of an undercoat than the tighter coats.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Sorry for doing some hijacking myself, but you've got me wondering as well...

What would Koda be? Is he on the long or short end of the spectrum? Is he a stock coat that's a little longer? Or is he a long coat? He's got the tufts of fur around his ears, and the fur around his body is fairly long. Plus the tail feathers and the fur on his tail is quite long, but he doesn't look like a full long coat?

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
As far as I know, Koda would be considered a long stock coat. He may not have a coat as long as some of the long coats, but just like stock coats, hair length and texture does vary with long coats, too. A tell-tale for long coats are the ear fluffies.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I will have to agree with the above...Koda's face looks so much like my Nadia and she is believed to be a coatie :) Personally the ear fluffies is one of my favorite parts, and the way the look like someone used a hair crimper on them! LOL

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
The ear fluffies don't bother me. It's the butt puffs that drive me crazy. Anything and everything gets caught up in them. Thank goodness for the furminator.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Hmm, Koda has ear fluffies, but they seem to be more on the sides of his ears than the back, he's got a little bit back there though. He definitely has long butt fluff and long fur on his tail though, like I said. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts