German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the typical exercises that are involved in the novice obedience and rally trials? What exactly do the judges look for? Any information on these two sports would be greatly appreciated. :gsdhead:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Once you start it's Fun and addicting!
If you search You tube you can actually see some dogs competing which always helps me when I can see things on top of reading about them.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
For Novice obedience the rules pretty much lay everything out. For rally, there are variations each time, but its basically the same stuff just in a different order. If you've never done an AKC trial, you might want to try Beginner Novice first, as that is a lot easier and you can really learn what the judges "look for" and how they generally score.

Rally is fun, and easy IMO. You can pretty much talk as much as you want to your dog and even if they stray away you can get them back and not disqualify. Obedience is much more strict, and there are exercises where if your dog doesn't do it, you will not qualify. We just had a lady at our club take her older male (9 years) and get him from RA to RE in about 2 months. That would be pretty difficult to do with obedience lol.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For Novice obedience the rules pretty much lay everything out. For rally, there are variations each time, but its basically the same stuff just in a different order. If you've never done an AKC trial, you might want to try Beginner Novice first, as that is a lot easier and you can really learn what the judges "look for" and how they generally score.

Rally is fun, and easy IMO. You can pretty much talk as much as you want to your dog and even if they stray away you can get them back and not disqualify. Obedience is much more strict, and there are exercises where if your dog doesn't do it, you will not qualify. We just had a lady at our club take her older male (9 years) and get him from RA to RE in about 2 months. That would be pretty difficult to do with obedience lol.
I'm thinking I'm gonna go with Rally lol. It looks like so much fun.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm doing Rally with my 15 month old girl and we're having a blast! It's really translated into very useful behaviors in everyday life and has bettered our partnership. It's not too hard either and I like that I can talk to my dog as needed to keep her focus. The hardest part for us is when they put a slow forward facing towards the out-gate... Piper does NOT want to walk slowly going that direction! One of the tough things is keeping the pace fast enough to keep her interest but not too fast that we blow past the signs.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Our 13 yr old and her 4 month old puppy did a rally workshop this weekend and really enjoyed it :) People were surprised at how young Nita was and how well she did for their intro.

I'm hoping it's something our daughter is going to want to do with her :)

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Rally is fun, but when you look into an obedience ring you can really see the difference between the dogs. I'm doing rally for obedience practice and also to rack up some titles, but otherwise my allegiance is with the obedience ring lol. I've just seen too many dogs in the rally ring that aren't even close to obedient and yet they qualify.

Hopefully for you, doing rally will spark an interest in the obedience ring (like it was intended to do), but sadly for many people it spiraled into a different monster that the AKC just collects fees from. Many people would rather accomplish an RAE title than move on to novice obedience after getting an RE, and many people's dogs aren't capable of moving onto obedience after rally due to the huge difference in training style.

I love trialing, but I think because I did obedience first, rally (and some of the crazies that do it) are funny to me. I love dog show politics, I now completely understand where "Best of Show" was coming from.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rally is fun, but when you look into an obedience ring you can really see the difference between the dogs. I'm doing rally for obedience practice and also to rack up some titles, but otherwise my allegiance is with the obedience ring lol. I've just seen too many dogs in the rally ring that aren't even close to obedient and yet they qualify.

Hopefully for you, doing rally will spark an interest in the obedience ring (like it was intended to do), but sadly for many people it spiraled into a different monster that the AKC just collects fees from. Many people would rather accomplish an RAE title than move on to novice obedience after getting an RE, and many people's dogs aren't capable of moving onto obedience after rally due to the huge difference in training style.

I love trialing, but I think because I did obedience first, rally (and some of the crazies that do it) are funny to me. I love dog show politics, I now completely understand where "Best of Show" was coming from.
I'm still interested in obedience, but it seems like Rally would be a simpler and better starting point for us.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I'm still interested in obedience, but it seems like Rally would be a simpler and better starting point for us.
Definitely is! It's a way to get into the trialing world and succeed quickly. Just wanted to say that too many people don't leave the rally ring after getting into it. Dogs do tend to get bad habits that are sometimes tougher to break afterwards but its all possible. I'd just train for both as if you're going to do obedience, a good obedience dog will be a star in the rally ring, where as a good rally dog probably wouldn't even qualify in obedience.

If you are planning on trialing, make sure you get instructors that know what trialing is all about, and will nit-pick your dog's positioning and reaction times. You lose points for such minor things in the obedience ring that its worth it to have an instructor that will make you do things right the first time and every time. For many pet-owners that just want an obedient dogs, these people might come off as annoying, but for those that trial its very important.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I'm doing Rally with my 15 month old girl and we're having a blast! It's really translated into very useful behaviors in everyday life and has bettered our partnership. It's not too hard either and I like that I can talk to my dog as needed to keep her focus. The hardest part for us is when they put a slow forward facing towards the out-gate... Piper does NOT want to walk slowly going that direction! One of the tough things is keeping the pace fast enough to keep her interest but not too fast that we blow past the signs.
I really enjoy rally for this reason. We are having fun and it's helped us alot and the coaching becomes less over time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Oh, and I forgot to add... we're using Rally as the springboard to Agility as well as helping our herding focus. I've seen an improvement in our herding because of (I think) the emphasis on vocal cues and loose leash in Rally. I can definitely see where we'd have a hard time transitioning to the OB ring though, we are quite a bit looser and that's where we've lost points. Sure is fun though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts