German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking she is defiantly mostly Shepard, and probably some husky. After a very harrowing journey, she's made it. Defiantly aloof...but velcro. She gets quite upset if she cant get to us (she comes to work, so doesnt have to stay at home).

She knows a couple things, but we are going to start training all the basic commands now. I think she's testing us...you ask her for something she knows and she wont look at you, or gives a dull expression. It's the third day and she's listening better with me and seems to realize i'm serious. Is this a usual thing for them? I'm assuming shes trying to see what she can get away with?

She jumps though, and headbuts people (ears back jumping to lick faces) which has unnerved some, so i'm not quite sure how to start training it. Getting her to hold a sit and letting people approach? So far people have just come up to her and she gets all wiggly and then hops up.

For the most part she has been silent, but randomly started barking up a storm at two small dogs in the store (despite being fine seeing small dogs on a walk) which I found strange and quite surprising.

How old does she have to be for until we take her for more intense exercise? Aka, running along side a bike or doing agility classes? Also we arent sure how big she is going to be... when do they stop growing? I'm assuming she pretty close to full size at 7 months? People have asked if shes a mini Shepard.

I suspect as she settles nt we will learn more ,though so far its been a great fit for our family! I'm curious if her color will change any more, she went from grey sides to black.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
First, at seven months they are not done growing. She will fill out more. Secondly, seven months is adolescence age so expect some brat behavior eventually. There is also a second fear stage that happens around 6-9 months (generally with teething) so she may be fearful of a thing she has seen every day but suddenly it looks scary. Just let her feel her way through the fear. Don't force her and try not to laugh out loud when suddenly a rock looks scary to her. Introduce her to as much stuff as possible, socialize with friends with well behaved dogs, take her to the local Home Depot or home supply store to walk around. It's a great socialization place.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Just wanted to add:

Now is a great time to start clicker training as well. Get a good book on clicker training. Teach her the sit using the clicker. When she hits the sit, click and treat. Holding the sit gets more treats. When greeting people, make sure she is in a solid sit. If she jumps put her back in a sit before she gets to lick the person - don't let her jump to lick faces - very dangerous when she grows up. Only let people approach on your acceptance so she doesn't have a chance to jump. Clicker training gives her a more solid idea of what action you want. You need to get solid reliability on obedience before agility training so you have control off leash. You might try some rally which enforces obedience and can be started at novice level on leash.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanted to add:

Now is a great time to start clicker training as well. Get a good book on clicker training. Teach her the sit using the clicker. When she hits the sit, click and treat. Holding the sit gets more treats. When greeting people, make sure she is in a solid sit. If she jumps put her back in a sit before she gets to lick the person - don't let her jump to lick faces - very dangerous when she grows up. Only let people approach on your acceptance so she doesn't have a chance to jump. Clicker training gives her a more solid idea of what action you want. You need to get solid reliability on obedience before agility training so you have control off leash. You might try some rally which enforces obedience and can be started at novice level on leash.
Thanks for the advice! We are clicker training (she knew sit, but is close to getting down now too) and we just enrolled in a puppy class in August! I've been trying to get her to focus on me more, so when I say her name if she makes eye contact, I click and treat. Hoping by exposing her to groups of people and dogs, she wont make quite a fuss when she's at work and they come in. For the most part she's great, but when it's busy I keep her leashed to my side, and she hates not being able to go wherever she wants to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts