German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to handle or correct it.

We have 1 GS that is what I feel fearful & can be fear aggressive towards dogs & working on his issue.

Now, this rescue we have I can't figure him out.

He is anxious or something.

When I bring or let our dogs out of their crates he goes off whining, making howls, & may turn into a bark.

When he's riding in a car & sees a dog running loose, he whines at that dog.

When we are out at the pet store or take a walk with others.............he goes off whining/howling SO bad !

I'm not sure why he does this ? I'm not 100% sure how is he is with other dogs, have done a few sniffs at a couple dogs & off on our way & he seemed fine, but he whines/howls so bad when he sees a dog. People freak because their not sure what's up with this GS !

~Help please~

·
Registered
279 Posts
Whenever I've had one doing the whining act it was usually when they weren't getting their way. How old is the dog? You say he "goes off". Do you mean turns away or commences the whining? Does he hackle and tail up while he's doing it? Sounds like he's just dying to meet the other dog and is on the verge of throwing a temper trantrum for not being allowed to. Not necessarily aggressively, just vocally. Maybe I'm understanding it wrong. It does sound strange. How do the other dogs react to him? Do they react like he is a threat or just, "What is his problem?"

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally Posted By: Chris08Whenever I've had one doing the whining act it was usually when they weren't getting their way. How old is the dog? You say he "goes off". Do you mean turns away or commences the whining? Does he hackle and tail up while he's doing it? Sounds like he's just dying to meet the other dog and is on the verge of throwing a temper trantrum for not being allowed to. Not necessarily aggressively, just vocally. Maybe I'm understanding it wrong. It does sound strange. How do the other dogs react to him? Do they react like he is a threat or just, "What is his problem?"
This is the rescue dog we just got & have had 2 months now. The vet guessed him about 3.

I see him just whine & do try to pull near the other dog. I do think he just wants to get over to them so bad & afraid to let him aproach another dog acting this way, but not sure how to shut him up ! I give a jerk at the pronge & say NO or quite, but don't phase him.

I don't see the hackles up or anything. My dogs act like ....what the heck, but it does scare our fearful GS. He used to get barking from the whine & the bark collar has slowed that down.

I just didn't know what to think about him doing this ! We went for a walk with about 10 + dogs 2 weeks ago & we stayed away from them on a lead & he whined while we walked or stopped. People said, what's up with that !!! One thought anxious.............

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Couldn't it be that he justs want to see the other dogs? Check out Bright Elf's thread on the halti. Grimm has this same problem and she though it was aggression but it is really excitement about seeing other dogs.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=616295&page=0&fpart=1

I don't think a correction with the prong is the best way to handle it. Again, check out the above thread and I think you'll see some similarities and also some great suggestions on how to handle it.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I also believe it's over excitement.
One of my dogs also used to get over excited & vocal when seeing other dogs, but not to the extend of your foster dog.

Do you know anything about the dog's history?
Maybe he was with another dog before and misses him/her. Everytime he sees other dogs he's reminded of him/her and whines in anticipation. Long fetched, but who knows.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
When I've had dogs do this, it's generally that they are "talking" and want to go check out the other dog and possibly play.

Dog aggression is a completely different set of body language and sounds. You'd hear growling, see stiffness in the body and he would have a laser-lock stare at the other dog.

I'm a bit concerned that you've had him for 2 months and never let him interact with another dog. You need to find out if he plays well with others because, at least in our experience, most potential adopters have at least one other dog.

Work on trying to get him to sit, then ask the person with the other dog if they can meet. Try not letting them go nose to nose at first, but from what you've described, I would say he's expressing signs of loneliness and wanting to play.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have let him with our Golden & he does fine. He does seem to get mouthy some with dogs & humans when he plays & our Golden didin't like that so, broke up the play time. I know our other GS's would not do good with that so, taking lots of time before letting them together.

I have no history on him & just found his whines to get to ya ! Our female does whine some, but nothing like this. He really gets going when bringing in the other dogs & he's in his crate.

I have let him go up to a couple other dogs & not sure of knowing him is why I haven't let him around other dogs. Just not sure about why the whining or how to take what he wants ?

He goes right up to the other dogs faces & then sniffs, but kind of pushy.

I also have seen him do this to the deer.............if he sees them, he starts the whine/howl & paces back & forth on a lead wanting that deer !

If loose in the fence area, he will whine & turn to a bark, with backing up & then run up to the fence barking & barking !

So wierd because any other time he is VERY laid back, wags his tail at everyone, & is VERY people friendly !

Just trying to figure him out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts