German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
So yesterday, we had to use his ex pen to crate him, bc my daughter has broke the door off his crate. I put a roof on but, my husband only put ONE clip hook on the middle instead of 2(top and bottom) So we come home and he is out in our bedroom. I had closed closet, hall and bathroom door. But he had found a donation box to go to church and had pulled out old diapers my girls had out grown. At the time I didn't think he had ate any bc they were all in one piece. I assumed he had just played with them and gotten bored. So he didn't poop yesterday evening so I started to worry. This morining I gave him a little olive oil in food, and he pooped right after breakfast :happyboogie: but then while I was getting ready he through up his breakfast. So I called vet and waiting to hear back(she was in surgery). Can he have a blockage if he pooped this morning? Thanks for any input. Also he has been acting fine. He is a 12 week old puppy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He threw up again

So, after he threw up the first time I gave him a little more food and he threw that up too. I just gave him some pure pumpkin. I am still waiting on the vet so any input would be great!!!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Was there any pieces of the diaper in his poop? I would not give him anything right now except water and that should not be gulped.

I would worry about diapers because the material expands to hold fluid. But you said the diapers were just scattered around? It didn't look like he ate any of them?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was worried about too. If he ate one he had to eat the WHOLE thing bc there were absolutely NO shreds of one at all (I searched). So that made me think he just played with them. But he could have gotten into something else. His poop was completely normal this morning. Nothing but poop. He definitely has an appetite too, bc when I tried to clean up the vomit he tried to get to it to scarf it back down before I could get to it, he also has been circling under my daughters high chair hoping she would drop a few cheerios.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
If his activity is normal, his gums look good and he's drinking water and has an appetite just stay calm and wait for the vet to call back. If his poop was normal, formed not soft or runny that's good.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so the vet said I could either fast his lunch and try to give him a small amount of bland cooked chicken and rice and see if it persist. She said I could also bring him in to be x rayed if it would make me feel better. She said it was a good sign that he pooped this morning. I am not sure what to do. We have already spent close to $500 in vet bills this month. We had planned to go on a road trip to Yellowstone I guess I could use some of those funds if necessary. What do you guys think? Would you go ahead and bring him in or wait and see? I think I will bring him in, its just he is acting completely normal. His belly is not tender or bloated. :confused:

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
If it were my pup and based on the info you provided I would watch him like a hawk and fast him for at least 12 hours then do the bland diet that was suggested.

I'm less worried because he pooped and it was normal and his activity is normal. He does appear to have a upset stomach but I think the fasting will help that...it's kind of like a reset button on the gut.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, that makes me feel better. I think that's what I will do. I am going to fast him till this evening. Its not hard to watch him closely as he is my shadow so he is in plain site all the time. I will update later.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Well wishes for your little guy that he will be ok.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
also sending good wishes, if he throws up his dinner, I'd be off to the vet for those xrays:((

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well he pooped again. Completely normal poop. He still has not eaten anything though. He holds down his water. The vet said as long as he wasnt gulping water to let him have it and he has been periodically drinking all day but hasnt thrown up that or the little bit of pumpkin. So if he has pooped 2x can it still be obstruction. Guess I can ask vet later but figured Id ask you guys too. Also he is still full of energy and trying to eat.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
yes, it could be a partial obstruction.. I know another poster here who was having issues with her puppy, it ended up being intususception(sp) which can be fatal.

(The intestines fold in on themselves)..

I am always paranoid when it comes to something like this, knowing the situation, I'd probably go for that xray , but of course that is your call.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would NEVER put a vacation over my dogs health! I just dont want to waste money if it just an upset stomach. I will be feeding him his chicken and rice when I get home and if he throws it up it is straight to vet in the morning. Before I could stop her,my daughter fed him peanut butter crackers and he has held them down just fine. If he had any other symptoms at all I would have already taken him!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Doggiedad has really poor social skills. Try to let that one go.

Obstructions (and partial obstructions) can be lethal so if he continues to not eat and there is any more throwing up or lethargy I would get him right in for an x-ray, no matter what time of day it is.

Is is possible he ate something other than a diaper?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
so do you for saying something like that. the OP mentioned spending
money saved for Yellowstone. you can always save again for Yellowstone.
i'm saying spend the money and if saying "your dog is more
important than Yellowstone" depicts poor social skills i want a lot
more of poor social skills.

>>>>> Doggiedad has really poor social skills.<<<<<

Try to let that one go.

Obstructions (and partial obstructions) can be lethal so if he continues to not eat and there is any more throwing up or lethargy I would get him right in for an x-ray, no matter what time of day it is.

Is is possible he ate something other than a diaper?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So its been about 2 hrs and he has held it down and wants more. Maybe he just ate something that didnt mix. He has been on Fromm LBP for about 2 weeks so I doubt it's that. I am going to keep him on bland diet for a little bit. I will keep a close eye and see how breakfast goes. I will keep everyone updated. BTW all I meant about the yellowstone comment was that bc I was tapped out from a $500 vet bill a few weeks ago that I could use that money if I needed to, not that I would ever consider Yellowstone more important than his health!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I was just thinking about your boy...it's insane that I am still awake right now. lol

Glad to hear he's doing good & held down his food.

Also, no need to explain yourself...seriously;)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
glad he kept it down, but keep in mind it STILL could be a partial blockage:( especially if he ate a diaper.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts