German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live alone. In the last 20 minutes some one's walked by the house with a very obvious loud whistle - sounds like they are in my yard or right by the fence. The first time I turned the lights out to let them know I heard them and was aware.

Happened about 5 minutes ago and this time sounded like it was right outside my dining room window but on the alley side this time and Summer was barking and sniffing at the window.

If it's someone scoping the place, I don't know - I got pissed and counted on Summer's not yet trained out of squirrel bolting into the back yard and just opened the back door with no lights on and let her out. - She raised holy ****. I didn't see anyone, but if they were scoping - they got their answer - she covered the whole yard with warning barks in about 5 seconds.

I let her back in and she alerted at the same window about 3 minutes later. She looked down like she was looking for a mouse or something at the base of the window - the windows closed. I don't get it.

One more thing and I'm calling LE - just a little freaked out right now - Summer is my hero even if it was probably mostly squirrel motivated - I guess this sets back our training on that. She sounded awesome.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Did you call the police?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Yes--Call 911! Too many bad things going on in this world. Better to be safe than not. At least it will get on record that something out of the ordinary is going on.
Trust the dog! Please call.

Susan

·
Registered
220 Posts
Trust your dog. Its either someone out there or something nesting for the winter. Take a good look tomorrow for any home damage, rodent, insect.... Etc. Also look for broken sticks, stomped grass, cigarettes, litter. The department won't have any problem driving by to check it out but it does take time. Best to have your dog right next to you with a weapon at the ready. Good luck and good dog!

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been on silent running for the last hour. No more problems, Summer's calm. I hate to call the police, it's Friday night and they are crazy busy. I'm going to take her out in a minute to sniff the perimeters in front and back (on a long line) if she alerts in any area - I will make the call, and probably get yelled at by them for not calling sooner. If it was someone looking - I'm sure they have my back shop in mind and not my house.

I really think it was someone "testing" and will be on alert but after what Summer did - I think they moved on. Thanks for the reply's

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the fence boundaries in front yard only. She was fine. Talked to the neighbor - she heard and we will be on alert, she is armed and I have mace and Summer....:) She did good;)

If they break into the shop they will be disappointed. I leave the door unlocked - not a big market with theives for vintage clothing. That's what I sell:D

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's so unnerving when something out of the norm like that happens. For 3 weeks I had a similar thing happen. I have 3 backyards adjacent to mine. Every 2nd or 3rd night there would be whistling. Bak would growl/bark etc. The whistling would be intermittent - maybe every 20 minutes, then an hour later.

I did what you did .. released him to go all Cujo but followed with a flashlight in case someone threw something poison in the yard.

My front neighbor is a Sheriff and he knows what's up so I didn't do a police report.

Found out it was my neighbors weed smoking son who lives in their shed - dog ruined his buzz. He gave it up finally but until I found out what was happening, I sure was uncomfortable. He might have just been tormenting the dog or just out of it on his weed but they aren't the approachable type.

Hope it works out as well for you.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I am glad that everything turned out all right but now you have my curiosity going. I imagine that the vintage in your "moniker" is for the clothing. What about the stone?

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Aww don't sweat it. Generally "family pets" aren't trained to search for people. But a well trained, well behaved dog can "alert" that something is up??

I have them but unlike "pro's" that understand what dogs are "saying" ... I did not. Your dog has to have the "training" and the owner/handler has to "understand/read" the dogs "alerts" in order to do the (people/creeps in the night thing.) Otherwise it works out like this:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/7866801-post9.html

So my girl got it right ... I got it wrong! Stuff was stolen and she could have rightly said ... "I told you so!" :eek:
Still it's not like I'd have let her out into the dark alone in anycase. Settle for keeping her from barking at everything and then if she alerts to something unusal ... call the cops. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
That sounds pretty scary. Good thing you have your dog I bet it helped. Gotta love shepherds, if they act differently trust them and investigate!

It takes a real idiot to mess with someone in there house while they got a GSD roaming around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts