German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently met a puppy who is roughly five months old that was rescued from a kill shelter. She has a lot of black on her back and dark tan markings. Her face looks like a purebred and she has the bark of one. The only thing is that she has traces of white, almost like little spots, on one of her paws and just a little bit of white on her chest. My question is this- is it still possible that she is a purebred or is she likely a mix? (Not that it really matters, but I was just curious.) She is blind and probably got dumped at the shelter because of that.

Mods- if necessary, this can be moved to the "breed standard" section.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
What Chris said, it's not commonplace, but not rare either. Every dog I've had has had a bit of white on the chest or paws except for a german workingline. There's a specific term for it, but it's slipped my mind at the moment.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
oh boy, my imported blk&red Shep has white on his chest and a white spot on one off his toes. i've been telling myself it's tan or light black, LoL. i paid for a German working/show dog. i do have a German working show dog don't i???
Originally Posted By: GSDOwner2008What Chris said, it's not commonplace, but not rare either. Every dog I've had has had a bit of white on the chest or paws except for a german workingline. There's a specific term for it, but it's slipped my mind at the moment.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
doggiedad, I'd have to see a picture to determine what line your dog is, or a pedigree. Is he a bi color? Saddle? Blanket? I recently posted pics of my boys in the pictures section. I would say my Apollo is a Black and red saddle. I know he is a west german showline with Ursus von Batu in his pedigree among many others of that line.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Originally Posted By: GunnersMomsOur Kenya has a little white on her chest, and she's ALL GSD.
Hey mine too! My Kenya has a white patch on her chest and a black spot on her tongue, she's a pure (working lines) as they come!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
Urus von Batu is my boy's great-grandmother. i've been told it's very good to have her in your pedigree. (brags).
Originally Posted By: GSDOwner2008doggiedad, I'd have to see a picture to determine what line your dog is, or a pedigree. Is he a bi color? Saddle? Blanket? I recently posted pics of my boys in the pictures section. I would say my Apollo is a Black and red saddle. I know he is a west german showline with Ursus von Batu in his pedigree among many others of that line.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
our Sheps with the white spots and black spots on the tongue are the purest of the pure. all of the rest of them Sheps wish they had a spot or two.
Originally Posted By: Liesje
Originally Posted By: GunnersMomsOur Kenya has a little white on her chest, and she's ALL GSD.
Hey mine too! My Kenya has a white patch on her chest and a black spot on her tongue, she's a pure (working lines) as they come!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I believe the spots are a result of the Irish white spotting gene. My female has a 1/2 dollar size white spot on her chest and a black spot on her tongue, she is definitely a purebred GSD.

She is the smaller, darker dog in my avatar.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Maybe they ARE related!! Funny first time we saw you in Petsmart with Yana over a year ago my hubby commented that Yana and Kayos could be identical twins. Yana's eyes are a little lighter than Kay's tho.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
Ursus Von Batu and Live Vom Felsenwehr had Jaguar Von Der Mausespitz and somewhere down there they had my boy. i can send you the pedigree. pm. me. what do you mean you couldn't find any Urusus von Batu in the pedigree???
Originally Posted By: GSDOwner2008doggiedad, I would brag right along with you, but Ursus von Batu is my boy's great grandfather... http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/pedigree/6186.html

I couldn't find any results for Urus von Batu in the pedigree database.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: doggiedadwhat do you mean you couldn't find any Urusus von Batu in the pedigree???
Originally Posted By: GSDOwner2008doggiedad, I would brag right along with you, but Ursus von Batu is my boy's great grandfather... http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/pedigree/6186.html

I couldn't find any results for Urus von Batu in the pedigree database.
Because they were looking up URUS v Batu, a female, not Ursus v Batu, a very well known male, based on your statement of:

Originally Posted By: doggiedad<span style="color: #FF0000">Urus</span> von Batu is my boy's great-grand<span style="color: #FF0000">mother</span>.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.