German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working with Ammo on basic obedience, which he is picking up on very well. He will do almost anything I ask him. My issue is that he is not overly excited about any reward that I have for him.

One example, about a week ago I made him a flirt pole and have been working with him on sit, down, and wait. All of which he can and does do. The problem is there is no urgency to his response to a command. When I tell him sit and wait he will casually walk over to a shady area and sit down. He loves the flirt pole but he has no sense of urgency to play the game. When he is allowed to go for the toy he chases it until he is able to catch it and then tugs a couple times before dropping it and going to sit down again.

I know this isn't a bad thing I just want to find something that really excites him so when I work on harder things, like off leash obedience, I have a reward that he really wants. I've tried food, he has no interest in it. I've tried balls for him to chase, he just wants to chew on them and isn't big on keeping the game going. He does like praise but when something else is going on he is distracted. Any ideas on something I could use that would keep his attention?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I want to teach him to speak, something that he doesn't do. I have nothing to use to "tease" him with.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
There is a whole entire book about how to motivate dogs that are hard to motivate: When Pigs Fly, by Jane Killion.

Amazon.com: When Pigs Fly!: Training Success with Impossible Dogs (9781929242443): Jane Killion: Books

It's very good. I recommend it.

I won't make any other recommendations, though, because I don't have enough information to feel comfortable doing so. Without being able to see both you and the dog working, I'm reluctant to opine about what the issue(s) might be or how it/they could most effectively be addressed. So instead I'll just point you to Killion's book and suggest that perhaps you might be able to find some answers there. :)

You can also take a look at her website and a couple of articles here: Website for Jane Killion, author of When Pigs Fly!: Training Success With Impossible Dogs. Dog training for difficult, stubborn, and non-biddable breeds of dog. Dog training, particularly for terriers and hounds. Basic training, training for behavior to see if that is an approach that strikes you as worthwhile.

The author has titled multiple bull terriers in obedience, Rally, and agility. Talk about hard-to-motivate dogs, sheesh. Bull terriers would be pretty near the top of my personal list. ;)

·
Registered
406 Posts
How old is he?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
your dog is walking away and sitting down so you're doing off leash
obedience. leash your dog when you're training him.

I've been working with Ammo on basic obedience, which he is picking up on very well. He will do almost anything I ask him. My issue is that he is not overly excited about any reward that I have for him.

One example, about a week ago I made him a flirt pole and have been working with him on sit, down, and wait. All of which he can and does do. The problem is there is no urgency to his response to a command. When I tell him sit and wait he will casually walk over to a shady area and sit down. He loves the flirt pole but he has no sense of urgency to play the game.

>>>>> When he is allowed to go for the toy he chases it until he is able to catch it and then tugs a couple times before dropping it and going to sit down again. <<<<<

>>>>> I know this isn't a bad thing I just want to find something that really excites him so when I work on harder things, like off leash obedience, <<<<<

I have a reward that he really wants. I've tried food, he has no interest in it. I've tried balls for him to chase, he just wants to chew on them and isn't big on keeping the game going. He does like praise but when something else is going on he is distracted. Any ideas on something I could use that would keep his attention?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I'd be right were you are if I didnt have cheese and hot dogs. regular treats work at home, but outside its cheese and hot dogs.

·
Registered
406 Posts
My pup is the same age, I was worried a few months ago about her drive and not wanting to play tug..I think I started a thread on here about it. Anyway, I backed off a little as I was maybe putting too much pressure on her. I cut back on the mount of time I was spending on her training and her drive seems to be developing now. Maybe some of them just take a little longer than others to get excited about stuff!

·
Registered
785 Posts
How exciting are YOU when you train? I was having the same problem but I was very blah and unanimated so when I changed gears and became a bit more interesting most of my problems went away.

I'm still working on building ball/tug drive but something I was shown that may work is don't let him catch it everytime ie: chase, chase, chase, hide/command, then reward..don't let him get bored and drop it the minute you see his disinterest snatch it back and start over again. I use this method and don't reward every time and it's been working very well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts