German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it was just a fluke but ever since last week I'm not being notified via e-mail that I have a pm. My preferences show I would like to be notified but it isn't working, do you have any idea why?
Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Are you not getting emails at all? or with a lag time? I know I see the blinking envelope way before my email comes in on some days.

Also, do you have a security setting or firewall or something that may see the automatic message from here as spam?

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MaggieRoseLee, no, I'm not getting them at all. As I said, this has been happening for close to a week. I've been getting e-mails for 4 yrs. so they are not automatically sent to junk mail. Any other ideas why this might be happening?

·
Super Moderator
32,128 Posts
That happened to me recently too. Usually if I'm online at the time I'll see the blinking thingy a few minutes before the email comes through, but there was no email at all.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I'll make sure Admin knows, maybe just more 'lost in the ethernet magic' but we'll see...

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
We're checking on it to try to figure out if it's a board problem or an end-user email problem.

One thing to check is to make sure that in your account preferences that you have it set to send you an email PM notification. There is a box to check yes or no for these and the problem may be as simple as that got checked off somehow.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Sean Rescue Mom,

Ran a test on the PM notification and on the board side it seems to be working fine.

Email providers have been getting a lot tougher on what they are allowing through their filtering system. So if you email provider had an upgrade, you might have to go into your account and add germanshepherds.com to your white or accept list. Another solution is to set up a Hotmail, MSN, Yahoo or AOL account. Hot mail and MSN had a big upgrade and it is pretty decent.

I have a client and if I send an email with the stationery on which is a nice leafy border, they don't get the email. I can send the exact some email without the stationery on it and it goes throu every time.

Val

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
I'm also now not getting email notifications on my favorite topics. It's been going on for about a week. Talked with comcast and there's nothing in their system that would prevent me getting the emails. I'm set up to receive the emails and they aren't going into my spam. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
32,128 Posts
Kris, I have Comcast too. Marlene, is your email through Comcast? I'm still not getting email notifications of PM's, which is not a huge problem since I pop onto the board a few times a day anyway, but that means I'm also not getting moderator notifications, which IS a problem.

I tried changing to my work email address this morning and had a tester PM sent to me - sure enough, I got an email. Switched it back to my Comcast email address, no email. So for me at least, it's definitely a Comcast thing, not a board thing. Over the weekend I went through my preferences on the Comcast site, which I'd never done before, and made sure that it was set to receive all emails, and to not block spam, but that didn't help.

I called Comcast today, and talked to a guy who said there was someone else within the last day or two with the same problem. He wrote up a ticket for me and kicked it up to the next level of tech support. They're supposed to call me in 24-72 hours, and hopefully we'll figure out why this is happening. I'll put an update in this thread when I have an answer.

What's also weird is that there were some saved emails in my Inbox on comcast.net because I have it set to not automatically delete them after any particular time, and several pages of those disappeared within the last week or two, right around the time I started having a problem with email notifications of PMs. Now there's nothing in my Inbox received prior to January 4th.

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
Debbie - thanks for the info. You obviously got someone at Comcast who gave a darn about helping you! Will be anxious to see what you find out. I'm not getting email notifications at all from the board - either for PM's or favorite topics. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
32,128 Posts
Originally Posted By: KShortDebbie - thanks for the info. You obviously got someone at Comcast who gave a darn about helping you!
I know - imagine that!
What concerns me is that perhaps email from other sources is being inadvertantly blocked by Comcast as well. Who knows how many emails we're not getting in addition to the ones from the board?

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally Posted By: Cassidys Mom Who knows how many emails we're not getting in addition to the ones from the board?
Debbie, yes, I do use comcast. Glad to know I'm not going crazy. It's really annoying and you're correct, I wonder how many other e-mails are not getting through.
It looks like I'll have to give them a call also.

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
Okay, I tried talking with Comcast again...
She told me to add the gs.com email notification address to my address book on the Comcast server because then it would allow any emails through. Sooo, I added [email protected] to my address book. She told me to give it a day to update and then see if I start getting email notifications again.

Her other suggestion was to have an administrator send an email to:
[email protected]
and then they would remove the website from being blocked???

There is no way to add a website to the Comcast server that you want to see.

I'll let you know if the first suggestion works... I'm beyond frustrated with them. She kept telling me to set my Junk mail filter in Outlook to allow messages from gs.com. As I explained to her, they aren't even being accepted by the Comcast server, so there's no way they can download to Outlook until Comcast accepts them.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Can you add just germanshepherds.com to you email, that should allow any prefix of germanshsepherds.com to come through.

Without the prefix, it tells the server software that any thing from germanshepherds.com should be allowed.

I just looked at one of my email notices for a pM and it comes from germanshsepherds.com, no [email protected] or any other prefix

Val

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
Val,
The problem is that I have to add it at the Comcast server level and the only way to do that is to add it to my address book there. I just tried to do that and it doesn't recognize germanshepherds.com as a valid email address. It has to be something @ germanshepherds.com (hope that makes sense). On the Comcast server, you can block a certain email address, but you can't add one that you want to get other than through the address book. That doesn't make sense to me, but I've looked through every single preference and I just don't see anything. And according to this person I talked to tonight, there's no way to do it. Comcast isn't even accepting the emails in the Junk mail folder on my account.

If I can just get the server to accept the emails, downloading them to Outlook is no problem. Even if Comcast dumps them in Outlook junk mail, all I have to do is mark them as a Safe Sender in Outlook. But, I can't even get them that far to do that!

Beyond frustrating dealing with them... Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
32,128 Posts
Kris, I called Comcast for the 5th time today! They keep saying they're going to kick it up to level 2 support and someone is going to call me. Then I call back a few days later and they say that it's still being worked on and the support people need more info. Grrr, then CALL me and we'll talk about it!

Finally, someone did call me back yesterday at around 4:00, about an hour and a half before I got home from work.
I called back and the woman I spoke to said there was a message on the ticket that they would try me again last night, but they didn't, nor did they call me today. So when I got home from work today I called and explained the problem AGAIN, and the guy said they would call me for more info within 72 hours. Which is exactly what they told me when I called for the first time a week ago Monday. I made him take down the info about how many times I've called and and how annoyed I was getting that this still hadn't been fixed. They have my work and home phone numbers and I also gave him the times I can be reached at each number.

Val, none of that will help. In Comcast we have two choices, let EVERYTHING through, which is how my settings are now, or to ONLY allow emails from certain email addresses. You only have access to the 'allow' box if you uncheck the box that says not to block any emails. This is definitely not an Outlook problem. I use Entourage for my email program, but it's not being stopped at my computer, it's being blocked before it even gets to my computer, by Comcast.

Edited to add: Kris, I have a couple of email notifications in my deleted file from before I started having this problem, and they're all from [email protected]

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
Thanks Debbie! I know if you're on it, it will get handled! I was about to tear my hair out tonight. Will anxiously await updates from your conversation with them! Of course, I don't get email notifications on my Watched Topics, so I'll just have to check back!

·
Super Moderator
32,128 Posts
Originally Posted By: KShortThanks Debbie! I know if you're on it, it will get handled!
I'm a stubborn b*tch!

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally Posted By: Cassidys Mom
Originally Posted By: KShortThanks Debbie! I know if you're on it, it will get handled!
I'm a stubborn b*tch!
And that's why we love ya.
Any word from Comcast yet? I noticed that they are blocking other e-mails I used to receive as well.

·
Super Moderator
32,128 Posts
Arghh, not yet. I'm calling them again tomorrow. Marlene, do you know how many other places you're not getting email from? This is obviously a big problem affecting a lot of people, not just the few of us not getting emails from the board. I can't believe it's taking them so long to figure it out.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts