German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some may remember me but since I've been gone a long time I thought I'd re-introduce myself. My name is Lauri and I've been a dog person since I was born. :) Grew up with a Collie, then a Lab, and then - when I was able to get MY own dog - I adopted a German Shepherd mix and I was hooked! Noiya, a GSD/possibly Whippet mix, was the smartest dog I ever owned and my intro to the GSD breed. After she died I decided to get a pure bred GSD. I did some conformation and obedience competition but I found that competing was not for me so I tried all sorts of sports and activities with my dogs to find what THEY liked and then we would just keep playing that game. :)

Neke, Tessa, Remi, and Riggs were the GSDs in the pack, balanced out by a couple foster failures - Tazer the Cocker and Winnie the Corgi mix. My original pack:

As I got older I decided that I needed something a little smaller - dogsize - so if something happened I would be able to pick up and carry the dog. Trying to find something that could live up to a GSD reputation but smaller in size (and not a Terrier breed) was tough but I lucked out and found a wonderful breeder and got my first Chinese Crested!

Seriously - don't be fooled by their size! They are TOUGH little dogs. Smart, willing, biddable, loving, and very outgoing. While my Crested Pack grew I knew I couldn't live without at least one GSD and fate decided which one for me. I saw pictures of a little fuzzball on this board and fell in love. Everything worked out (correct temperament for us, good breeding from good health tested parents) and Mauser joined out pack:

Mauser has grown up to be an awesome dog. He's 11 now and is going strong. This is him about 5 years ago ...

We lost our first Crested to arsenic poisoning (she had gorged herself on apples that fell from our tree) but her line lives on in her offspring. This was our pack at Christmas last year:

We just recently moved to the Pittsburgh area after 17 years in southern WI. Hoping to find new dog friends here!

Attachments

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Hello!!! It's so nice to have you back! Pittsburgh? Are you loving it? It's one of my favorite places.

·
Super Moderator
8,677 Posts
of course we remember you Lauri, and so nice to have you back!! mauser is still so so gorgeous!

welcome :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Welcome back, Lauri. You probably never knew this, but you were such a great influence on me when I started to feed my dogs Raw. A long overdue thanks to you!

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello!!! It's so nice to have you back! Pittsburgh? Are you loving it? It's one of my favorite places.
Yes!! The weather is MUCH better than WI and our neighborhood is pretty nice but the thing that really gets me is how friendly everyone is.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome back, Lauri. You probably never knew this, but you were such a great influence on me when I started to feed my dogs Raw. A long overdue thanks to you!
Glad to help!!

The information out there now - especially on FB - about raw feeding is scary. So many people insist that you can ONLY feed AAFCO approved raw diets and such. Oi!!

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Yes!! The weather is MUCH better than WI and our neighborhood is pretty nice but the thing that really gets me is how friendly everyone is.
MidEast region :) Ohio/MI/Ill/Ind - soooo friendly and open. I grew up in MI. I forgot how friendly people were until I trialed with the region a couple of years ago. Next time I'm in that area I would love to meet you!!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Welcome back! I'm back with a little rugrat!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Hi Lauri, welcome back, and thanks for sharing information about the Chinese Crested. It's a breed I hadn't considered for when I have to 'downsize' from german shepherds in retirement.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Lauri, and welcome to Pittsburgh!

Although I wasn't born and raised here, it's been my home since the mid-80's. I started out south of the city, and currently live west of the city.

Sheri

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Welcome home, love Pittsburgh ((except for their football team) best to you in your move. Your dogs are beautiful.

Reactions: selzer

·
Registered
727 Posts
Welcome back to the forum! I love your big boy Mauser. I can't even tell he's 11!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts