German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have another question.

I was not going to post this because I feel it is a bit stupid but I am not 100% sure how to go about this.

My 11 month old is looking a little over weight. I have noticed this and like to watch his body (ribs and waist) but even though I have been slowly reducing food since about 3 weeks ago I see no change.

I am now only feeding 2 cups of Fromm a day. Is this normal?

He gets a ton of treats during our positive training classes and everyday as we work through reactivity and mat work. Could this be the problem? I don't want to cut his food anymore only to replace with treats. I can use the kibble to train for a lot of stuff but the reactivity work for sure needs a higher value.

What is the best approach here? He always eats super fast and all his food. Eats EVERYTHING he can get in his mouth on still. I am starting to worry something else is up. He has had chronic soft stools for so many months I have lost count. But if anything I thought he would be losing weight due to this not gaining.

His hip replacement surgery is soon and I was so hoping he would be a better weight by now. With months of inactivity ahead I am unsure.
I can get pictures later today.

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
I would replace the treats with something that is a whole food like Fresh Pet. Most likely, it's the addition of the treats causing the issue. So replace the treats and then skip the formal meal.

btw - you will need to severely cut back on food after the hip surgery. I had to with Jax for her acl. Otherwise they will pack on the weight.

You might want to look at different food formulas to find one with lower calories per cup. If you reduce below the recommended amount then they aren't getting the proper nutrition.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would replace the treats with something that is a whole food like Fresh Pet. Most likely, it's the addition of the treats causing the issue. So replace the treats and then skip the formal meal.

btw - you will need to severely cut back on food after the hip surgery. I had to with Jax for her acl. Otherwise they will pack on the weight.

You might want to look at different food formulas to find one with lower calories per cup. If you reduce below the recommended amount then they aren't getting the proper nutrition.
Hi Jax, thanks for your reply.

I was wondering about the cutting back food after surgery. 2 Cups just seems so low already I am worried.

I will look into Fresh Pet. I am concerned with all the treats and cutting back food he is not getting enough nutrition. Agh this is hard....

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
Hi Jax, thanks for your reply.

I was wondering about the cutting back food after surgery. 2 Cups just seems so low already I am worried.

I will look into Fresh Pet. I am concerned with all the treats and cutting back food he is not getting enough nutrition. Agh this is hard....
Fresh Pet is a complete and balanced food. And perfect for training. I use it for all my training. Or, if he will work for kibble, use that instead.

My house pet dogs have mostly eaten 2 cups per day. It seems normal to me for a dog with low activity. You may have to cut back to 1 1/2 cups while he's on restricted exercise. I wouldn't fret about it. It's temporary.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My 11 month old female eats 6 cups a day.

11 month old having hip replacement :frown2::crying:
Oh wow 6 cups! 2 cups seems insane compared to that! My trainer is a vet tech maybe I will ask her opinion.

We used to be way more active but he has been lying down during fetch and I am worried about his hips so I do much more training and enrichment these days. But twice a week he gets 4 hours of play with dogs. And we do hike for an hour or 2 on Sat and Sunday. But overall I would say we are not being super active, so like Jax says activity plays a role. Guess Im just still super surprised he is not losing weight.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
My situation is a bit different, as mine is 9yrs old, and was recently spayed. I had the same issues, no matter what I cut her to, she would not lose weight. The vet even put her on a low calorie diet kibble, same thing, and eventually she started refusing it, and her coat was in terrible shape. I went back to Fromm. She gets 2 1/2 cups daily, which is at the very lowest recommended amount, and she is doing the slow but steady. Her normal weight was 55lbs. She went up to 67lbs. She also was having hip issues, but we went with the adequin(sp?) injections rather than surgery. The injections helped her become more active, and with the lower amount fed, she is at 61lbs now. This has been months though. It’s always easier to put on than take off.

If your guy doesn’t have a sensitive stomach, try a slow switch to a lower calorie dense food. My girl only does well on the Fromm, everything else gives her a crap coat, itchy skin, and constant diarrhea. I’m sure I could do more research to find something with similar ingredients but lower calorie, but since she is losing, I’d rather keep her on that then mess with her digestive system trying new foods.

I would cut way back on the treats, if not having them cut completely. By 11 months, he should be able to follow commands without treats. Does he have a favorite toy? Does he like tug? Maybe look into rewarding him with toys and praise rather than treats. I have 4 dogs, ranging in age from 9yrs to 7 months, and none are reliant on treats for training at this point. They respond very well to praise and toys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts