German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My almost 3 yr old Meb has recently not been listening to me. It seemed we were so in tune with each other (a special bond) before I got Shay (my 9 month old) back in Sept. It is sad but Meb and I lost that special bond once I got the puppy. Before I got Shay and just upto the last month Meb has always listened so well. If I said his name or "HERE" he would turn on a dime and come. I called him off deer and rabbits, etc. many times. Over the winter in Michigan the food source for the deer was so bad that they were herding up in the woods by my house and I really had to get after Meb not to go after them especially as <u>we walked by them </u>on our walk path. Not sure if I just did too much nagging and he got tired of it or if there is something emotional also going on. Last night I took the dogs on our normally walk and out to the neighbors pond for a swim and Meb must of seen something in the woods (80acres) behind us and took off after it and would not obey my "NO" and "HERE". Shay followed him and I called their names until Meb came back within 10 minutes and Shay in 15 minutes. I think Shay was more lost and trying to catch up with Meb. I did not scold either one as they both returned as I called (but it was very hard not to) I have had a few episodes -not this bad- with Meb in the last 2 weeks so I decided that our morning walks (a 1/4 mile around the house and barn before I go to work) Meb will be leashed. So I have put his training collar on him with a long line and practice the "HERE" command in the morning. Also he has become VERY obcessed with our cat and also the rabbit that lives under an old car out by the barn. Even though Meb has never had any obedience classes he has always minded very good. I am going to enroll him in the next class, which I think is in 3-4 wks. I also printed out 9 pages of info on the ECollar for the recall and plan to start that soon. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments that would be helpful. I hope I give them equal Loves, but I probably give more to Shay as he is more affectionate and Demands more loven. Do you feel this is more of an emotional problem and that he feels left out??

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
First you need to make sure that Meb is not sick. Get a complete physical with a good blood work up to make sure there is no under lying medical problem.

Your first dog should always come first. When you got the pup you should have had special one on one time with Meb and no puppy. I have 4 dogs and I spend one on one time with each one of them. So you need to work and spend time with Meb alone.

·
Registered
672 Posts
After the physical exam but before the E collar, you may want to try him on a long nylon web lead when you take you walks. That way if you see he's not listening a slight tug on the lead would get his attention. I do believe that dogs learn to ignore us if we let them get away with it.

I have a lot of dogs, several rescues and four personals. I will admit that my eldest, Greta did start taking a backseat as the more needy rescues entered, but she was 5 before I ever brought in my first rescue and we had a lot of one on one timebefore then. She however, is slow to come also and I believe she's tuning me out. She loves sniffing the ground and could seemingly do it forever. Recently if she doesn't come on my first call, I physically walk to her and usher her in so she knows I mean what I say. I also wonder if she thinks I am talking to another one of the dogs when I say, Greta come. She just had her physical this week and blood work is pending, otherwise in great health.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
If this is a new problem and not medical, I'd just make some time to do something special with this dog to reconnect. How about some fun classes? Clicker? Agility?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Meb is very healthy so I know that is not the reason. I have been leashing him on our morning walks and practicing the "HERE" command and he is reponding very good. I also am trying to give him lots of loven. Today we spent some one-on-one time together and went up to a neighbors house (my moms) to play with cousin Barney her lab. Meb seems to be listening better. We are enrolled in basic obedience class in 3 weeks so I know this will help also. I plan to wait on the ecollar and use only as a last resort. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Called Meb off a whole herd of deer crossing our property tonight. He seen them running and I said NO and he stayed right at my side. I am so proud of him. I guess what I have been doing the past 3-4 days is working!!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Good Job Cindy!!!! I know how you are, and you will work with him until you take care of the problem. Calling a dog off a whole herd of deer is a great accomplishment. You should be proud of yourself and of Meb.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Good job Cindy, just make sure you keep up the good work!!!!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
You are taking time with him and paying special attention to him because of the behavior you saw and look how he's responding. I really hope you get your "connection" and bond back with him because he deserves it.
With three of my own, often I take them out one at a time and MAKE the time to do so. They appreciate our special time together, I can tell by our bond and body language. If ever they smile, it's when we're doing one-on-one. Trips my heart up, it does. =)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts