German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 6 Month Old Female Doesn’t Really Like To Play, When I throw The ball, She Ignores And Starts Bitting the Back Of My Other Shepherds Legs there’s Nothing She Likes Expected Bitting my Male Shepherd Any Advice?

·
Super Moderator
6,270 Posts
Sounds like she’s more interested and bonded to your other dog.... work / train / play with them separately. You’ve gotta become more interesting, and at this point it’s going to be a little tough. I suggest interactive games like tug... keep her engaged with you rather that running away from you (after the ball), that can come later.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Yes, engage them separately. If they are always together, it will cause the pup to focus on the other dog more than you...don't allow that situation to continue, as your puppy is likely to get worse. Separate them for at least a large part of every day, and definitely work each of them separately during any training or play with you. Distractions are HUGE for a young puppy.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Before Finn started basic obedience training the trainer evaluated him.
What he saw was that Finn lacked ball drive which apparently is very important and helpful in the training process.

He said that I could create the ball drive in him by making playing with the ball very interesting and fun.

I bought the Kong squeak balls at Target. and The squeak sound really caught his interest. Then he made the connection that when he bit down on the ball it squeaked.

I worked with him in the house on just catching the ball. Then As soon as he’d catch it I’d squeak a second ball and say drop and as soon as he dropped the ball id quickly Pass him the 2nd ball. He started to really love the game.
Plus I’d praise him like crazy. Praise motivates Finn.
I kept him on the long line in the House.

Once he was solid with the game we went outside.

Truly once he learned the game of fetch, I’d use two kong balls and when he followed a command during the game, like Leave it or stay, I’d quickly throw him the 2nd ball.

Now he’s crazy over playing ball.

Thinking back I can see how important it is for a dog to have ball drive.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
go to Leerburg.com and watch the free videos on playing with your dog. If the dog has any prey drive, working with a flirt pole/ floppy soft toy on a long line, might stimulate him to play. Chasing a ball you threw may not interest him, but maybe sitting on the floor with a soft long fluffy toy and making it come alive like a bunny might get him into it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Get two identical balls and try playing the TWO TOY GAME! Its great & puts you at the center of your puppy's attention the entire time!
No longer can the puppy get the ball and then run off with it!

·
Registered
946 Posts
I was going to mention, play with the toy yourself and be excited about it in front of the dog. Also, a flirt stick is awesome too.

So, basically what others said. I'll even play tug by putting the toy in my mouth too. Gross I know and daring being face to face with a 4 month old landshark lol.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My puppy is 14 weeks old, he fetches a ball a few times (3-4) and then loses motivation. Is this just a puppy stage where he gets tired fast? and eventually will be nonstop with the ball?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Get two identical balls and play the "2 toy game"! It gets every puppy to play fetch with you back and forth dripping the ball right at your feet each time!

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Play separately it is the most important - you will will learn what she likes. My female has no interest in the ball at All. We did continue to get her interested in the ball. She likes to play tug so that is what we will play.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I had the same issue when I had a 5 month old and a 9/10 month old. The 5 month old was deferring to the 9/10 month old and getting "doggy". Trainer said to be "more fun" than the 10 month old, Ruger. That was a tall order, Ruger is a 50 pound bag of fun. So, crate and rotate and my BF usually has Ruger now..training separately. It has really REALLY helped. Now they are 11 months and 15 months and get along fine, and the younger one focuses on me over the other dog. They definitely packed up though. They HATE other dogs. Well, they ignore, but will snarl and warn if boundaries by the other dog are not respected.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts