German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where to put this so, if this is in the wrong place please move.

Eight days ago Shadow had to have emergency surgery, the vet found a blockage in her stomach/intestine when she was xrayed. She came home the day after surgery with approx 30cm area on her tummy that had been cut open, lots of stitches. We were told to keep her as quiet as possible. We didn't even think about pain meds or anti biotics, at the time we were just happy that she was going to be ok and she was coming home.

We have been doing our best to keep her as quiet as possible. There is always someone here with her. We tried the cone on her head a couple of times, but she became really distressed about it and was throwing herself around, so we kept it off. We thought because she had so many stitches and we didn't want her tearing them open this was the best option.

The last couple of days she has started to try to lick her tummy, prior to this she had shown no interest at all (she was more interested in the small shaved area on her leg where the iv line was). I have been checking the wound area frequently, it's now starting to look a bit red and damp (licking or infection?). I rang the vet to make a time to go in and get antibiotics. I was pissed off to hear that we have to pay for another consult considering this as far as I'm concerned is on going from the surgery (I will get it back in insurance but don't have much cash right now)

I'm also pissed off the more I think about it- Shadow had rather major surgery and was sent home with NO pain meds and NO antibiotics.
Both my nieces dog and my sisters dog have both under gone surgery just recently to, 1 for a cyst on his elbow and the other to clean his elbow joint out. Both dogs went home with antibiotics and pain meds. Both at different vets than Shadow.

I'm seeing the vet tonight, I plan on telling them that I'm not happy. Do you think I'm being unreasonable or is this normal practice?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
As far as I know, no, that is not normal practice. When we went to the spay/neuter clinic, they offered the antibiotics for free. The pain meds were extra, but I would be infuriated if they did a surgery and sent me home with out the antibiotics. I would get a new vet, personally.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
It's been a while since one of my dogs has gotten sputered, but I don't think that's normal practice to send a dog home without pain meds or antibiotics. I believe when we got Molly spayed she was sent home with pain meds and antibiotics, but I think we paid extra for the anitbiotics. (I'm not sure on that since I was 10 at the time lol.)

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I think it's pretty standard practice to send the dog home with antibiotics after a surgery like your pup had. Same goes with pain meds. I'd definitely bring it up why he decided not to give her anything. I mean, antibiotics at the least.

I'd definitely keep that cone on if she likes it or not and under constant supervision or not. It's for her own protection. Germs can easily be spread from tongue to open cut and that's how infections can start. Especially without any antibiotics.

Also, how did she get the blockage? What was it caused by?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
If she doesn't like the cone, you could try the inflatable tube thing that goes around the neck or a comfy cone, maybe? I haven't used them or even heard anything about them, but I'm sure you could probably look into them. I saw them at Petco. They look more comfortable than plastic.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Depending on the location of the incision, a t-shirt or other clothing might also be another option as an alternative to a cone.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I second the t-shirt suggestion. I've used it before quite successfully.

And yes, antibiotics and pain meds after major surgery are standard here in the U.S.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i dont think you're in the wrong for being angry. Surgery generally requires some sort of pain meds and antibiotics for at least a few days worth. I also suggest the Tshirt idea if it would work but if she's red and bumpy, it could lock in the moisture causing more issues along with infection, if she doesnt already have an infection which red and bumpy areas to me indicate a possible infection. The tube "cones" that inflate and just fit around their neck are recommended heavily by my vet simply because they're more comfortable and dont cut off peripheral vision which is what distresses the dog. It helps prevent harassment of the incision site but its also supposed to reduce the stress a cone would cause. and its a comfy pillow lol

I also agree with the suggestion to find a new vet.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all, we are back from the vet/clinic. We are all much happier, this vet was different from the original vet. Even she was surprised that Shadow was sent home without meds. Shadow now has antibiotics and doggie asprin.
This vet suggested a t-shirt to, so this is what we will be doing.
We don't know what caused the blockage. Something was felt by the vet and then something was seen on xray but by the time they operated what ever it was had moved to the large intestine/rectum area where we were told it should pass by itself.
All her poo's have been normal, so don't know what it was. It may even have been something that may even have irritated the intestinal lining causing inflammation and a bit of constipation.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
glad you got some meds for her! any idea how long the surgical vet has been in the practice? If your dogs poos have been normal, i have a feeling what was felt and seen on the xrays may have been a gas pocket. I know i've seen gas pockets on xrays that looked very solid so its a possibility.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Who knows, perhaps that's all it was. She is on the mend now, poor baby and she hates the vet. :( I don't blame her.

She looks pretty cool in her muscle shirt lol. I will take a pic when I can.

Thanks for all the support everyone. Shadow says thanks too.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Oh poor Shadow, she has had a rough time of it :hugs: I hope she recovers soon. Maybe you should put your complaint in writing so they have to respond to it, that's unbelievable they didn't give her meds after the surgery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts