German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so i need so others input on how much i should be feeding my GSD she will be 3 this spring and is 98lbs as of 2 weeks ago. I know based on breed standards this is high and according to my vet she should be about 70lbs. Now that being said she was born from a line of Large GSDs the female was 100lbs and male was 150lbs other dogs breed by the breeder are also typically over 100lbs. im sure could always use some extra activity. Anyway the vet said put her on a diet and start time feeding, we were free feeding which i already wanted to change so I could make sure she was eating ok. According to the vet recommendations she should be getting 860-900kcal per day that seems like such a small amount that i am worried about under feeding, i realize just time feeding will help ensure she is not overeating but i also do not want to deprive her of what she needs. She seems hungry, doesn't get table scraps if we can help it although sometimes the toddler shares when we are not paying attention. I am attaching some profile pics. She is currently fed Fromm gold for large breed with a few treats here and there plus Nuvet supplements once a day
Excuse the cone i just had her fixed.

Attachments

·
Registered
909 Posts
I use either calculator as a guideline to feed my dog, and it's been working well thus far.

100-150lbs is definitely NOT standard GSD, or GSD at all.

Based on the picture you posted, your dog is overweight. Esp the picture taken from above shows no hip definition whatsoever. I suppose your vet recommended that much calorie for her to lose weight.

Just my 2 cents

·
Super Moderator
6,702 Posts
she’s certainly overweight but not 28lbs overweight! i would have her weight rechecked at 85lbs, making that your initial target weight. 950-1000 calories should get you there. i personally wouldn’t go lower for a dog of her stature. more exercise is going to be key however....

this is the calculator i prefer: Calorie Calculator for Dogs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the information, it just seemed such a small amount but it probably just me and the change if it. Ill follow the current kcals until she can be back to her normal activity then see when she is at. Her being on activity restrictions the last couple weeks, longer for complications, has not helped at all since her weight increased by 5lbs just from preop hopefully once we get the green light she will even out some along with time feeding and amount restriction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts