German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a gerneral temperment/personality difference between the American Lines, German Lines, Working lines, Show lines?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
IMO, not that can be described in such broad terms that they cover entire lines. There are temperament differences within a single litter.

I think the best way to approach finding the dog with the temperament/personality you want is to have a really clear picture in your mind of the kind of dog that would be perfect for your lifestyle, your experience with dogs, and what you want to do with the dog--and then find a breeder that breeds dogs that match that, and that you trust completely. Then be totally honest with them about your "dream dog" and let them pick the puppy that best matches what you're looking for.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog an import, working, show dog. i got 3 out of 4 i win. i have never bought a Shep and thought about tempement, pesonality or type. i've owned 4 GSD's. 2 were from pet stores (before i knew better) and 2 from breeders. i'm not pushing the pet store variety but all of my dogs trained well and had no problems. the dog i have now i bought because i wanted to be able to brag and say i have a show dog. he's our big, spoiled, well trained, pet/companion. i don't know the difference between the lines but i've had good luck with all of them. i might be wrong about this but i think you can make them be the dog you want no matter what line. a good breeder, good training, a good dog.
Originally Posted By: niki42Is there a gerneral temperment/personality difference between the American Lines, German Lines, Working lines, Show lines?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks... I know what my "dream dog" ("good luck with that" comes to mind, but anyways) is, and I was just wondering but honestly, it doesn't really matter to me what line theyre from....

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: niki42Ok, thanks... I know what my "dream dog" ("good luck with that" comes to mind, but anyways) is, and I was just wondering but honestly, it doesn't really matter to me what line theyre from....
It "might" matter what line they are from. What does your "dream dog" LOOK LIKE? If it is black and tan, you can get that color in all lines. But if it is a solid black or dark sable, you aren't going to find those colors in all lines.

Of course the dogs temperment should be most important, but most folks have a color preference also.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I don't know about temperament, but there are definitely differences in drive and I think that manifests itself in certain ways in the dog's temperament.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
I tend to think they are very different. I have a European Bred Working dog, and have adopted and served as a rescue for the American Bred dogs, but the latter came from shelters.

I guess it depends on what type of dog you are looking for.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Individuals often don't fit well into generalizations. There are always exceptions, and any type and mix of temperament characteristics can be found within individuals of any lines. But in general, yes, there are significant differences in both temperament and looks between the lines.

Best way to learn about these differences, and what terms like "high drive" "hard" etc.. mean is go see the dogs in person and get some first hand experience. Visit training clubs and breeders and see many different examples of the different types of GSDs in person. Then the general trends in the temperament and physical traits most prevalent in the lines will become much more clear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts