German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just rescued Harley on Friday. His foster mom said he's more of a grazer than a dog that will eat all his food at one time. First, I have heard that grazing is bad and shouldn't be allowed, any opinions on this? Second, poor Harley is hardly eating at all. I know he's in a new situation but at what point should I start to worry or try a new food? Thoughts appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Many of our GSD's are picky eaters. And it's not so much that grazing is specifically a bad thing........... it's more that a dog that grazes may be hard to keep weight on and (even worse) hard to tell 'normal' appetite from a sick dog so we are late in getting a sick dog to the vet in time.

My picky eater was a huge worry until I just figured out best way to get her to eat. I found a good kibble she liked but still had to make it more yummy to get her eating. Most human leftovers mixed with water to gravy it and coat the kibble assured the food got eaten. Main amount of calories was from the kibble and I only used enough leftover to keep her interested (1/4 cup? 1/3 cup of left over for 1 cup or more kibble).

Best 'go to' that I always had around the house was canned CAT food. The tuna fish can size (6 oz?)
They have tons of different flavors, cat food is always on sale (brand didn't matter, variety did). And I only had to use 1/4 or 1/3 of the can each meal to the kibble (with water to gravy) and she'd always finish her meal. Just use the plastic pet food lids to put the rest in the fridge until the next meal.

People always say our dogs won't starve to death and wait them out. I did this for THREE days and she just wouldn't eat her food and actually lost 5 pounds. And she was slender to start with. So while indeed, she didn't DIE, it wasn't worth waiting her out. Too much stress for me, so I fed her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted in another thread

Hello everybody, I inherited my son's black girl (Star) when she was 10 weeks old and he moved to take a job. I just wanted to pass along my food experience with Star with the hope of helping any new GSD owners that are trying to get food advice. I fed her Orijens for her first 18 months but found that I was having to mix something with it to get her to eat it. I switched to Wellness for the next year but was having to mix their toppers in it half of the time in order to have Star finish completely. Upon the advice of a breeder, I then tried a cheaper choice (Purina Pro Plan) for a month but switched from it when my son (remember Star is his dog) kept emailing me article after article about its inferior ingredients. My next choice was Blue Wilderness and I'm happy to report that Star eats it without any additions and her stools are perfect. She is almost 3 years old and is in fantastic health. So if there are any new GSD owners out there searching for the perfect dry food...get Blue Wilderness.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts