German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 year old GSD is not eating well the past week.... She won't eat her regular raw food.
Last week we had to put our 13 year old Newfie x to sleep. That same day my GSD, Stella, tested positive for anaplasmosis. She is currently on doxy.
So here we are a week later and she is being very picky about food. I have been trying all sorts of things....kibble-Kirkland (my old boys food), Acana, Orijen, boiled chicken, hamburger, Sojos freeze dried raw, bacon, hot dogs, canned dog food....She will eat some hamburger sometimes, today she ate a little chicken, and she seems to like the canned food. I wouldn't be too concerned about her not eating as she can stand to lose a few lbs, but she needs to eat with the doxy.
Not sure what is going on....grieving the loss of her best friend? Meds making her feel yukky? Or is it the anaplasmosis...although she has been on doxy a week?
Any advice????

·
Registered
31,575 Posts
Doxy is a nasty med that is probably making her sick to her stomach. Try giving her some slippery elm 30-45 minutes before the meds and make sure to give probiotis 2 hours after the doxy

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now all I have to figure out is how to give her the slippery elm.....

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Get a few cans of water packed sardines. Put one single fish in her bowl, add some really warm tap water to it and mush into a "soup" then add the Slippery Elm. The warm aroma may entice her!
You could also try RAW Goat's Milk from a health food store which also contains probiotics.

Giving a ProBiotic as Jax08 suggested is VERY important.
Antibiotic's destroys/kills the "good bacteria" in the gut that is there to keep the gut healthy. Since 75% of the immune system lies there (fighting off invaders), it is imperative to give to replenish it.

Here are some great ones:
Sunday Sundae (Digestive Enzyme & Pro-Biotic Combo): Sunday-Sundae-12oz
Gut Sense (ProBiotic): http://dr-dobias-natural-healing-usa...ducts/gutsense
RX Biotics : http://www.amazon.com/Rx-Vitamins-Pets-Biotic-2-12/dp/B004HYZRFS
Digest All Plus: (Digestive Enzyme/ProBiotic combo) Wholistic Digest All Plus? - Digestive Support - Canine

Moms:)

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Slippery elm forms a mucosal barrier that may inhibit absorption of the meds.
Doxy wreaks havoc on the stomach and must be given with food.
Also avoid any milk products as they appear to affect the drugs absorbability.

Ginger. Get supplement form. Mild pain killer and helps with nausea. Boosts lipase for fat absorption and doubles as an anti-inflammatory

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been giving her probiotics. Actually she is always on them. I tried the sardines in water a few days ago...no go. I didn't try to warm them though....

Vet said there is anti nausea meds that he can prescribe if she doesn't improve.

She seemed a little more interested in food last night but today she is back to no interest. She did eat some steak and I managed to sneak in the doxy. She is so mopey too. Hasn't wanted to play much either....with the exception of "hose". Between the meds and missing Ruben, I feel so bad for her. She has never been an only dog.....

Maybe she would like some canned cat food????

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
How about some cooked ground up chicken or beef liver made into the soup?

IF
you think it may be depression:
Our 2nd GSD had depression (along with us) when we lost our first girl.
I started her on a Homeopathic called Ignatia, which is for grief and pining. You can purchase Homeopathic's at a local health food store (NOT GNC). The usual brand is called Boiron, in a small blue vial. You would purchase 30c strength and give 2 pellets that you have dissolved in a teaspoon of purified water (it takes a while to dissolve), and drizzle it on to your dogs gums. Homeopathy remedies are absorbed thru the mouth tissues. It helps balance the body. This is given away from food or water by 30 minutes on both sides.

Another one you can try is Kalium Phosphate which balances mood and the feeling of well being.
This can also work for you! You can take 4 pellets of each remedy 2 or 3 times per day and either cut back or discontinue when you notice a difference in yourself.
A 3rd one which may be applicable is called
Hypericum perforatum which some call “Nature’s Prozac”. It is known for use in depression, anxiety and other nervous disorders.

Hope your girl and you feel better soon. My condolences on your Newfie.

Moms:)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And now we are dealing with loose poop too.
She won't eat boiled chicken. She ate a little ground beef last night. She is eating a lot of grass too. I know she isn't feeling great but she has to eat so I can give her the doxy!!

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Did you see my post on ginger? Try that.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
The vet can probably sell you a few cans of RX "A/D" (or even "I/D") wet food to get her eating. The A/D is "critical care" food for animals in the clinic that won't eat when they are VERY sick--sometimes it's the first thing very sick dogs will eat. It's not a long-term solution, but when everything else isn't working, a few cans of this can restart the appetite and get them going again. It's something to try when it seems like everything else isn't working with a sick dog.

The other thing I would try is cooking some beef or chicken liver -- boil them in some water, and see if the aroma excites her. Most dogs love the smell of it cooking, and a piece of cooked liver tends to entice the most anorexic dogs. If she likes that, cut some up in some cooked hamburger and serve it warm (so that the steam reaches her nose). A scrambled egg also entices some dogs.

Lastly, ask the vet if you can back off on the doxy dose until you fix the tummy and get her eating again. I know for HW dose, we have a doseage range that we have to target, but if we are at the top of the recommended range (which is usually preferred by vets), we can back off to almost half that amount, if we have to for dogs that aren't tolerating the high dose. It might be that you have a similar kind of range for the condition that you are treating, and your vet may be able to recalculate the doseage for a week or so then gradually increase back to where you are. I don't know for sure if it will be possible, but I would ask.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much ginger? Exactly how do I feed it? I am a little leery of ginger as I have had several allergic reactions to it! But that is me....not my dog.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
How much ginger? Exactly how do I feed it? I am a little leery of ginger as I have had several allergic reactions to it! But that is me....not my dog.
I would buy the supplement form. In capsules. Just pop down the throat.
If bottle says 2-3 2 x per day, then do 1 - 2x per day, so half. Start with one when you are going to be home with her. See how she tolerates.
I think the ones I used to get were 500mg.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vet said to stop doxy on Friday and wait for her to start eating normally. She ate nothing from noon on Friday to noon on Sunday. It seemed like she was getting back her appetite. She actually asked for food and even half heartedly chewed her bully stick. I was so happy. Well here we are Monday afternoon and the only thing she ate is a few pieces of steak my dh made for lunch. I am waiting for vet to call back. I think they are going to do blood work. I am worried that her anaplasmosis isn't being treated either.
I just dealt with my 13 yr old Newfie x having cancer and saying goodbye. This is just so upsetting.
I cannot get anything in her.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts