German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 7 yr old GSD. Last Wed we had to euthanize our 9 yr old GSD unfortunately. We did it at the vets office so the other one didn't actually see him die.

After that our other dog won't eat his dry food anymore. Its same one he has been eating all his life.

I actually took him to see the vet last week as well just to get a checkup. He only had a minor ear infection and got a first dose of Osurnia. Going back Wed for 2nd round.

He seems fine. Plays outside. Chews bones. Took him to groomer. Took him to dog park.

He drinks. He eats his snacks.
I gave him canned food once, mixed with his dry food and he ate that...but I don't want to make it a habit. Also he will eat dry food if I start hand feeding him but don't want to make that a habit either.

Not sure if I should just leave him alone and he will eat eventually?

Our other GSD was bigger (130 lbs) and ate as soon as we put the food out. It seemed like the other one ate just because if he didn't then his food would be stolen . Now there is no competition.

Just looking for some opinions

Thanks

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,366 Posts
Your dog is grieving and missing his buddy.He will eventually eat again with no intervention.If he was mine I would continue to mix in a little canned food and water to make a tasty gravy.IMO it's a small concession to help him transition.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was considering doing but worried about him expecting it all the time and then really not touching dry food unless its mixed with something
Your dog is grieving and missing his buddy.He will eventually eat again with no intervention.If he was mine I would continue to mix in a little canned food and water to make a tasty gravy.IMO it's a small concession to help him transition.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Can I ask why did you take him to groomer?

(I'm not being negative about that, just curious what procedures can a GSD get at groomer, except maybe nail trimming?)

·
Super Moderator
7,261 Posts

(I'm not being negative about that, just curious what procedures can a GSD get at groomer, except maybe nail trimming?)
- baths if the weather is cold, physical/health issues, or you don’t have access to a hose, self wash dog facility, etc

- shaved, not recommended but some people do it.

- full groom, trim or detangle for a long haired shepherd.

- under coat removal, those high power hand dryers are a godsend.

- teeth cleaning, anal gland expression

....I’m sure I’ve missed something ;)

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
MY GSD was 5 when I had my older dog put down @ 9 due to cancer. He went through a period of not wanting to eat afterwards, which was odd, because he always ate with gusto before that. What it boiled down to was that with him, EVERYTHING was a competition between him and Keeta. He ate because Keeta (who was a food vacuum) ate.

My dogs were being fed raw, so it would have been hard to improve on that, so I started feeding Gryffon once a day, in the evening, instead of twice a day. I figured he'll be more likely to eat if he is hungrier, and the once-a-day feedings fixed the not-eating issue.

·
Super Moderator
6,366 Posts
That's what I was considering doing but worried about him expecting it all the time and then really not touching dry food unless its mixed with something

That's totally up to you.If it was me I wouldn't mind.I mix things in my dog's food every day just because it seems to make them happy.Their eyes light up as they watch me mix in a bit of cheese,egg,broth,or canned food.And that makes me happy:)You have to do what you're comfortable with of course.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

He is a long haired GSD so about every 2-3 months we take him for bath, deshedding, trimming behind his legs and ears.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MY GSD was 5 when I had my older dog put down @ 9 due to cancer. He went through a period of not wanting to eat afterwards, which was odd, because he always ate with gusto before that. What it boiled down to was that with him, EVERYTHING was a competition between him and Keeta. He ate because Keeta (who was a food vacuum) ate.

My dogs were being fed raw, so it would have been hard to improve on that, so I started feeding Gryffon once a day, in the evening, instead of twice a day. I figured he'll be more likely to eat if he is hungrier, and the once-a-day feedings fixed the not-eating issue.
This was the exact situation when both dogs were around.
The one that passed away would usually devour his food quickly and if the one that is with me now wasn't quick enough his food would be gone too. So he usually started eating as soon as the other went to the bowl. Now that is no longer the case.

However, with that said, I don't understand why he only refuses to eat dry food.
I caved in again today. My baby is 94 lbs and wasting away :)
Mixed his dry food with half a can of Nutro Hearty Stew and it was all gone in under a minute plus he picked up the bowl and carried it like he was asking for more.

I want my dog to eat and stay strong, get his nutrients, etc...but 7 years without any wet food I really don't want to start a trend but if I put his dry food out and he doesn't touch it, how long do I wait? Today I gave up at about the 36th hour since he ate and even then I had to first hand feed him the kibble.

Will ask the vet as well on Wed but I don't think there is anything medically wrong with him other than his ear infection which should be gone now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts