German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Ocassioanlly Max wont eat his breakfast. The last two days he has not eaten his breakfast. He will eat treats and his dinner. I think he doesn't like his food. I feed him Royal Canin for GSD. In the morning he gets 2 cups of food. At dinner he gets 2 cups plus I mix something in with it (egg or rice or yougurt or left over meat from our dinner). I think he is holding out until dinner time cause he eats all his dinner. What are your thoughts? Should I just feed all 4 cups at dinner time, switch his food, our start adding to his morning food like I do for dinner?

Dawn

·
Super Moderator
7,707 Posts
i would not feed 4 cups at once - way too much food volume in the tummy for my taste. you could try switching foods, but i think since you add the "goodies" to the dinner meal, its now making the breakfast meal seem boring.

my goal is for my dogs to love their food whether there are additives in it or not. my routine is similar to yours, except my dogs are eating way less (is yours a puppy?) and they always finish every drop.

so its a number of reasons that could be causing this - but either way its an easy fix.

a) additives to morning meal
b) feed less
c) switch foods

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
4 cups way too much

Also how hot is it, heat will have a factor in it too.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Rocky does the same thing, if we give him a mix in treat (rare thing) he will not eat at all. He tries for treats but if he doesnt eat his food, he doesnt get treats or add ins. We tryi to limit his add ins for the very reason. We have tried so many foods and he has the same reaction to all of them. He really likes them for the first week and then it is a challenge to get him to eat.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
I don't know how old your dog is but when my female was about 9 months, she decided she didn't want to eat breakfast anymore. The puppy eats breakfast (and anything else he can get!), she doesn't look at it or even snack on an extra piece.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Could you save some of the evening meal's goodies and mix them in with his breakfast and see if that would make a difference for Max?

·
Super Moderator
7,707 Posts
Originally Posted By: littledmc4 cups way too much
true, but thats what royal canin recommends. one of the reasons i don't care for the food... for a small gsd with no exercise its about 3 cu.... for an extra large gsd with 2hrs exercise the amount goes all the way up to EIGHT cups!

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I try to feed 2 times a day, three dogs do fine with it, but Raya will only eat at night and she gets 3 - 4 cups a day, depending on the amount of activity during the day. I know it isn't ideal, but I spent months trying to change her schedule. All of my dogs are on Royal Canine, GS-24 and she is the only one that refuses to eat 2 times a day. I have tried other foods with her, it didn't work.

You can try the treat on the AM food.

Val

·
Registered
340 Posts
FWIW...My Heidi isn't a big breakfast eater...she does eat well at night. Another option would be to feed your dry in the morning as you usually do, and what she doesn't finish, put in a kong. See if she will finish it that way. Works for Heidi most of the time.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
My GSD use to do the same thing yours does, I too added an egg or some other little additive in his evening meal, but then he stopped eating his food altogether. I found after watching him that he wants his morning run before breakfast than before his evening meal he wants both my husband and I to both be in the house with him, and then he needs his evening walk after his evening meal. So I think with Riddick he needs his excercise and our presence to work up an appetite. I don't know if they are all that way though.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: rizzodmHi,
What are your thoughts? Should I just feed all 4 cups at dinner time, switch his food, our start adding to his morning food like I do for dinner?

Dawn
If it were me, I would STOP giving additives at all. If he is healthy, he will eat when he is hungry enough. Dogs "holding out" for additives is the reason mine get NO additives on their kibble. They MUST eat it "plain". You don't want to eat it "plain" you go hungry!

Now I am NOT saying I never give "additive" type foods, I do, but they get them seperate, not at meal time or or their kibble, and not necessarily everyday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds Familiar

So, I've got two GSDs. A 2yr old 100lb +/- a few Male, whose the father of a 1yr old 65 lb +/- a few, Female. Recently, after the female's first heat cycle, (THE ANIMALS WERE QUARANTINED during this cycle process, so there is in my mind no reasonable chance she is pregnant) she has refused breakfast as well. Usually, she has been a much more voracious eater than the older male, most likely due to growing puppy stage, etc. Their feeding schedule is: Breakfast, 1-2 cups (Wolf King dry kibble) Dinner, 1-2 cups (Wolf King dry kibble) + boiled sweet potatoes + chicken broth ice cubes (from freshly harvested and roasted whole chicken) to make a stew. Both animals are active and IMHO deserve the food they've been fed. However, the whole female not eating breakfast thing is stumping us due to her previous appetite - she used to eat more than the male! It seems like other owners have had similar eating patterns with their dogs, anyone had luck with cutting out the "gourmet" dinner?
Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts