German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Bandit
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My German shepherd male would never want to eat his breakfast in the morning. I would try things like putting pumpkin or changing the kibble but he would always just sniff it and walk away. His dinner on the other hand he always devours. I’ve tried taking the food if he walks away but that hasn’t worked either. For the past few weeks I’ve just been leaving the breakfast out and he usually eats it at around 3 o clock and then he’ll devour his dinner at 8. His stools are completely fine is there anything bad about doing this?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Around 2 years Zepp stopped wanting breakfast. I think it has something to do with his drive, but I’ll let more experienced owners comment on that.

I find that if he has adequate exercise beforehand, he will eat it better. If I let him in the backyard to do his business after waking and expect him to come in and eat, he won’t touch it. He usually settles for “lunch” after his mid-morning hike and eats dinner fine, poops are fine. In my opinion, as long as he’s eating a cumulative proper amount daily and he’s resting after each meal, he is ok.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
My German shepherd male would never want to eat his breakfast in the morning. I would try things like putting pumpkin or changing the kibble but he would always just sniff it and walk away. His dinner on the other hand he always devours. I’ve tried taking the food if he walks away but that hasn’t worked either. For the past few weeks I’ve just been leaving the breakfast out and he usually eats it at around 3 o clock and then he’ll devour his dinner at 8. His stools are completely fine is there anything bad about doing this?
It's not perfect but also not a big issue.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't think there is anything bad about it. The dog has narrowed his eating window, which is actually healthy. I would let him set his pace.

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
1,024 Posts
My girl is the same, she just ate her breakfast at 4:30 pm and will eat dinner around 9. We tried just one large feeding but that was too much food all at once. Occasionally she will even skip a meal and eats only once a day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Our boy quit eating breakfast about a month ago ( he was getting 3 meals a day and following the amount on the food bag Royal Canine puppy) , so we just feed him twice a day now ( same amount) and that works for us. Everything I have been told is NOT to leave the food out all day, it is how you can see if your dog is eating properly or ill. Leave the food out and after 20 mins if no interest put it away. Maybe some will disagree with this, but we have had 3 trainers and they all said the same thing. Gabriel is 11months old :)

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I feed once a day. Started that when Rolf was 1.

Reactions: SMcN

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Both my dogs eat morning and night and that never changes. The amount Rogan eats in particular would be too much for one sitting (6 c) imo.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Both my dogs eat morning and night and that never changes. The amount Rogan eats in particular would be too much for one sitting (6 c) imo.
Yes, I would think volume would play a factor in a decision on how many meals.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Was Rolf on two or three meals/day as a puppy? If three, when did you transition down to 2 then 1, or did you just go to 1?
3 meals as puppy, 6 months 2, 1 year, 1.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Thanks! I know not all information is applicable across the board, so I find it very helpful to have experienced GSD owners give their feedback. Really appreciate it.
That’s why we’re here😁
I fed less often when he stopped devouring.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
That’s why we’re here😁
I fed less often when he stopped devouring.
As soon as Varik lets me know, I'll be dropping his feeding frequency .. of course he's almost 9 so I don't really think it's going to change. ;) He is available to eat at any time, just ask him!

·
Registered
663 Posts
When kibble fed Apex grazed. He doesn't have tendency to over eat. If not exercised in the morning he wasn't interested in breakfast. Sometimes even exercised he wasn't interested. I put out the ration he ate when hungry.
I did avoid feeding kibble an hour before and after heavy exercise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts