German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so out walking the gsd by himself (k9 buddies at home) thru the burbs and came around a corner and a maltese-schitzu cross came at my gsd teeth bared and yapping aggresively at the end of a really long flexi-leash. i stopped walking and put my dog in a sit - thought down would signal too much submission and provoke the toy dog further. next thing the toy dog gets jerked off its feet and the handler reeled it in and picked it up and yelled for me to stay there as she wanted to talk, i thought here we go, my dog will get the blame for not barking and staying in a sit position and somehow be the agressor.

the lady profusely apologised and complimented my dogs behaviour. she asked if she could use this as a training moment and had my dog stay in a neutral postition while she went back a ways and approached my dog in wide circles and corrected her dog evrytime it lost focus and lunged at mine and rewarded it for focus on her. she kept repeating this and when her dog was stable she reduced the circle diameter by small amounts and again achieved stability.

she never tried to get real close but ended the session and asked if i could return again another day and do same but close the distance, i agreed.

she never pushed her dog too far and made it come close in one session but did achieve stabiltity and focus at a distance.

i thought wow this chick actually knows sumthin about dogs and is not making excuses for it's behaviour and is using good levels of desensitisation and corrections/rewards to achieve her steady increments of success while rasing the criteria without blowing the dogs mind.

pays not to stereo-type all people based on their choice of breed.

just a good story i wanted to share.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Good for her, and good for you and your dog for taking the time to help her..

I still think they're all a little bit mad ;) Although I've decided when I'm too decrepit to excersise a big dog I'll get a Dachshund :)

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, in my neighbourhood it is rare that any dog gets any training at all so when you come across someone that actually gives a hoot you kinda automatically fall into line - she was hot to!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts