German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Rosa, dogs aren't really good at telling us what is wrong. I might be all off base, but usually when there is such a big change, either the dog isn't feeling well or they are in pain. It would be much easier to tell if they were in pain if GSD's were whimpy dogs, but they are our beloved stoic breed.

Cheyenne pulled a mucle over the winter and you would swore she was abused by the way she was acting. I also happened when hubby took her out and for a month she only wanted momma to take her out. When Chey is a momma's baby I know there is something wrong.

Val

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
I like the mommy and me time, be it a car ride, playing or training.

I hope things work out. As for the Vet visit, niot a bad idea.

The kicker on my end is the only dogs that act like your female have been rescues I take in, not abused, but very shy.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
OK we just got back from the Vets. So far it seems ok. They did bloodwork but that won't be back for 1-2 days. Otherwise they checked her over and over and couldn't find anything wrong or her reacting like anything hurt. They weren't able to take her tempature because my machines batteries were dead. Its the kind that goes in the ear and the only ones I let them use (unless its life or death situation). But I'll get batteries for that tomarrow and check that. I had her x-rayed from snout to tail and nothing showed up wrong. They couldn't do the hips today because they needed to sedate her and it wasn't a good idea to do that today since she had eaten. I made an apppointment for the hips/elbows for Friday.

I insisted they check everything twice. The Doctor watched her walk back and fourth and back and fourth and so on, without any sympthoms of any pain. She did like all the treats she got while she was there and while waiting.

The doctor did mention somethings that may just be it and nows where I might feel a little bit stupid. To begin with the smoke in the air due to all the wildfires around might be upsetting her. That could be, no matter where you go in the Bay Area right now you can smell the smoke day and night. We also discussed her terror of fireworks (and yes, they have started around here) so it could be that she's heard some go off that I haven't paid attention to. He suggested sedatives to get her thru this time but I wouldn't do that. I did that one year and promised I would never ever do it again. I'm thinking it is one or both of these reasons may have to do with why she's been acting the way she has.

I still have to get the bloodwork results and have the hips/elbows x-rayed but I do feel better right now. I'd much rather be on the safe side and rule out any medical causes. When Wisc Tiger mentioned this (thank you) in her pm to me I freaked out. I'm such an emontional person anyway and to think my baby could be hurting and I not recognize it...well it was an awful feeling. As soon as I got home I called the vet sobbing on the phone begging them to see her today. Oh well, it worked and they took us in within the hour.

I will begin extra Mommy and Me time with her tomarrow and just be there for her durning what must be a difficult time for her. Sorry for babbling on and on, I just wanted to cover everything, Thanks again to everyone.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Rosa, I feel dumb that I never looked at your location. But in your previous posts you said nothing changed.

Fireworks are like thunder. My DeeDee has problems with thunder storms. ComfortZone plug in and maybe the spray, a safe place in the house, TTouch.

Val

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So sorry Val, this didn't even dawn on me that it could be the problem. I guess I was thinking about no changes in our life, which there had been none. But its true the surroundings have changed. You can smell the smoke even though you can't see the fires and I'm sure she can smell them even better than I can. This actually makes sense to me NOW
Not only that, her fear of fireworks is really intense-shes terrified of them and every once once in a while now I do hear them go off at a distance. Closer to the 4th it usually stinks of smoke from all the fireworks so she could be associating that smell of the firewords to the smell of the smoke-no wonder she's reacting the way she is!!!

I'm just thankful she's medically ok. You and others are right-when their behavior changes this drastically in such a short time frame, they need to be checked by a doctor. I'm just glad I started this post because I knew something was wrong. I work with her now to try to calm her in her enviorement so we can get through this difficult time.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Where do I get the Comfort Zone plug in??? Can I find this at the pet stores??? I'd like to try the spray to. Is that at pet stores too?

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks
I've written it down and will be buying some today!!!! Don't want to wait for an order to get here so I'll go to the petstores today!!!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts