German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the second time in less than a week this has happened and I'd love some advise.
Today the dogs (I have three) were outside barking. I called them in and the boys came running in. No problems. My girl on the other hand won't come in. I call her again and again and she just crouches down and looks at me thru the hedge. She runs around to the pathway again crouched down with head down. Her body languange is yelling "oh please don't beat me!" and if anyone were to see her they would sware I beat her. I DON'T. Shes the love of my life, my little princess. I've NEVER struck her, nor has anyone else.
I do give them the command to come in, but once they are in I"m never in any way upset. Even if I have to tell them several times to come in-its no big deal to me. I understand sometimes theres cats out there or something they really want to bark at but I'm never upset with them. I love my dogs.
I just don't understand Shoshona's reponse. Like I said, its happened two times in the past week. There have been no changes in our lifes (our lives are very predictable), its just me and my dogs. I should also let you know that Shoshona is actually the alpha dog. Shes has no problems whatsoever pushing around the boys.
But why would she act like she's been beaten when she hasn't, never has been and never will be.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Is it possible she has done something in the house, she isnt supposed to and is hiding becayse she thinks you found it? Could she be possibly trying to play some kind of game with you, like hide and seek? Sometimes it is so hard to figure out exactly what they are thinking.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Is it possible that she had a tangle with the boys and didnt win? My current foster is quite Alpha and Ava refuses to come in the house too closely with him. He hasnt hurt her, but I began to notice the body language between them and noticed there was some tension going through doors (he who passes first is king you know, or so it seems) Anyway, I began alternating who I let in the house first and ensured they both must wait until I allowed one or the other. Dont know if this helps but it was just my observation with mine. Watch her body language around them when she is around doors with them.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Is it possible there is some sort of sound in your house that only she can hear? This happened with a friend of mine's dog--he was actually jumping out the window and would run to my house and would not want to go back into his house. It turned out the answering machine was making a high pitched whining sound and it was scaring him. Smoke alarm, anything??????

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellant ideas. I doubt that she has done anything in the house that she doesn't want me to know about???....I always brag that she's never done anything wrong her entire life. She is just my precious angel.
Maybe there was a scuff with the boys??? I'll have to keep my eyes open on that one and really pay attention to their exchanges. The boys are always so good but now that I think about it there was this time about a week ago that Eli actually bit her back. I had to stop (with my voice) the exchange as it got heated real fast. That kind of through me off a bit, maybe that through her off as well??? I will REALLY watch them now and see if theres something going on.
Noises might be it too!!! I've had the tv on a lot lately and maybe there was something on there she didn't like.
Any suggestions on how I should react when she does this? Of course, I'm not mad at her. I honestly don't think I've ever been mad at her. I do baby her a lot, she's my little girl. I really don't want her to feel like she's abused or will be abused. When they bark outside I do have to call them in. Its only for a few min's usually and then I open the door for them again.
Let me go out with them now and see if I can pick up on anything.
Thanks,

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Sounds to me like she just doesn't want to (or isn't "ready" to )come in.

My 8yo male heeler sometimes runs out the door when I am going somehere, (I live in the moddle of nowhere so that in itself isn't an issue. And 99% of the time he does go with me.) When I tell him to come back in the house he will lay down with his head down and get a look on his face like he thinks he is invisible when he lays like that. There is NO fear in his actions or body language. Sometimes he goes so far as to "hide" behind something and lay down.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tracy, I think you might be right. Maybe this is her way of saying she doesn't want to come in. Both of these times it was clear she did NOT want to come in.
I've watched all three interact tonight and there have been no changes...she is still the boss.
There still could have been something on the tv (some noise) I missed but I'll have to listen for that more carefully.
I just want her to always feel secure in her surroundings. I realize I've spoiled her to pieces but she's everything and more of what I ever wanted in a dog.
Thanks again,

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Cheyenne acted like this when I would call her with the "Come" command. So I changed with her and would walk out in the yard, get really excited and say "Let's Go House" and made sure I had some yummies or favorite toy right inside the door. Coming in became a lot more fun.

You might want to watch the interactions and she might be happier if it is just one of the boys outside at a time with her instead of both.

Val

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree Val, when I yell 'Cookie' (when I really want them to come fast) they all come pouncing in. I think if this happens again I'm going to try treats and saying 'Cookie' or 'Yumm, Yumm' they all really respond to that and I think she would forgot about whatever it is shes upset about and come running in. If that doesn't work then something is really wrong. I tend to think Tracy is right, she (Shoshona) just doesn't want to come in.....

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
If she doesn't want to come in then the act of coming into the house is like punishment. So change her thought and have some treats or play time when she gets in the house...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
my boy does this too..he will come in the house with his head down like he's in trouble. he doesnt cower but kinda acts like he's guilty etc. i've never beat him before (sometimes i've wanted to lol) lately because he's been in his crate so much (he's on bed rest) he will go directly into his crate and look at me like he's still in trouble. i will say "what are u doin? come here" in a happy voice.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
When my dogs are outside & I call them to come in, Apollo always comes right away, but Rocket turns his head & looks the other way, like he's saying "I don't see you, nor can I hear you"! Cracks me up.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I plan on using the magic word ......"Cookie" the next time this happens. I have a feeling this is going to work like a charm
Theres no much she likes more than a 'cookie' and I just know she will want to beat the boys to the treats!!

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Did you get your girl as a pup. If so the feedback from so many others should be helpful. If she was adopted from a shelter or humane society let us know.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Is she sensitive to the tone of your voice? When you call the dogs in for barking too much is your voice more agitated, different, than if you called them in for dinner or bedtime? I know Kelly can tell when I'm upset with any of the Hooligans and you can tell it affects him by watching his demeanor. He comes when he's called even when I'm PO'ed, but you can see the difference in his body language when he's responding.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thankfully she hasn't repeated this behavior since, but I am prepared everytime I call them.

She has been with me her entire life. She did spent her first 8 wks with my friend and breeder and I KNOW she was well cared for there. Since that time she has had a wonderful life with me. She is a very sensitive dog, but I've always been aware of that.

The orginal command to Come was in the usual tone I would use for a command. But now that I think of it, I did use her name when she didn't initially respond to my first couple of commands. I do call her Shoshona a lot but most of the time I just call her Sho-she. But this time I called her SHO-SHO-NA with an emphasis on each part of her name. That could have done it!!! Oh my gosh. I think this might be one of those light bulb moments
You know, for a sensitive dog I guess that could have upset her!!! I guess I'll have to be much more aware of my voice and how I use her name.

I'll be aware of this and quick to yell Cookie next time there seems to be a problem. I'm really thinking this will work.

Thanks again, I'm loving the feedback and it looks like I'm getting somewhere on this.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Rosa, darn, I cannot figure it out, but so many dogs are so different. From what you said it sounds you are doing fine with the dog, and if she shows a bit of an attitude at tmes, I am not sure that is all bad.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok friends, something is going on with my girl!!! Last night I was grooming them. I do this at least every other night and usually everynight. The boys went first. As normal, they stood in front of me and enjoyed being combed and brushed. Then it was Shoshi's turn, she wanted nothing to do with it. She really acted afraid of being groomed. It was awful, her little tail was between her legs and she had fear on her face. She has never reacted this way! I thought back at the night before when they were groomed-nothing happened...no trama, no tangled hairs. I only do the private areas once a week on Saturday so I know that wasn't it. For the most part none of them really like their private areas done but because they are long coated it is necessary that I stay on top of this area. I haven't had any mats on any of them for a long time...the last one was Shiloh I believe some time ago and I ended up trimming that one off. But again, this wasn't the night for that.
Something is definately wrong. I know for fact that no one has hurt her and I'm sure no one has scared her. I am never far from my dogs when I'm home and when I'm not home they are safe inside. Usually when I'm home I'm right there with them or constantly checking on them. They are in a secure, enclosed area at my home. No one can get to them and if anyone had tried I know Shiloh would have let me know in a heartbeat. I always have one ear on my dogs even when they are playing outside and the door is always open.

With the exception of the way I pronounced her full name when I called her in the other day (see above post) I've done nothing. I've never heard of a dog developing such fears at four years old...you know how pups have fear stages and you really have to watch even the normal things you do around them??? Well she's four, well past that stage. I'm just shocked. It doesn't seem to be me, I mean the rest of the time she's her old self and loves to be cuddles and is busy pushing around the boys.

So this is my plan and let me know what you think. Next week she is going in for a Complete Physical. I'll be having everything checked including bloodwork. I had planned on doing this anyway so the timeing is perfect. I will also bring this up to the vet to see if other tests need to be preformed. I just want to rule out anything medically that could be causing this.

This weekend I'm going to be doing more Mommy and Me time with her where I take her out by herself for one on one fun. Maybe this will boost her ego up a bit. I'm thinking I should try this for two weeks and then if I don't see any improvements then we will go to a trainer. I've worked with this one trainer before and she is really good. I'm not sure what she would do but I know she does evaluations and such and she might be able to suggest things I'm not doing now.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Like many of you, my life evolves around my dogs. I want them all to be happy and healthy and feel secure in their enviorement. Honestly, this little girl has nothing whatsoever to be fearful of. I just don't understand.

I'm still going to do the 'Cookie' idea when calling her if theres any issues. I think that will help. I would hold treats for her for everything but I'm afraid that won't work. With three dogs and treats on me I won't be able to move until the last treat is off me and in their mouths if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wisc Tiger has given me some ideas and suggestions (thanks again). I'm going to try to move up her Complete Physical from Friday of next week to sooner. I'll also have them do x-rays of her hips and elbows. It could be that Shoshona is in some kind of pain. I'm feeling really awful right at this moment-that she could have been hurting and I missed it. I honestly never thought this could be a sign of pain.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts