German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 1/2 Jake is really a great dog. I have had private training classes for him with a very good trainer. I have one problem with him that really concerns me. He is a great family dog & sticks to me like velcro. He welcomes only certain people in our home. He loves my son's girlfriends & a woman that comes to my home every 2 weeks to clean, other than that it is just awful. He does not like strangers in our home period. As soon as they enter my home he barks excessively & is very intimidating. I have tried having my guests give him treats... takes the treat then starts barking again. Needless to say I am not comfortable having people over especially children. He has never snapped or growled at anyone, but I feel like I can't take the chance that he won't.

My trainer suggested we meet our guests outside the house with snacks & Jake on a leash so that he can get to know them. If I know people are coming over this makes sense, but I feel that my days of entertaing are over. The trainer also suggested using an X-pen so that he would be confined but still be part of the activities.

All this aside he is a great warm & fuzzy dog. Any suggestions on him allowing people in my home without scaring the heck out of them???

·
Registered
277 Posts
your trainer makes a good point....
perhaps meet your guests a house away and walk together into your yard with the dog.... that way you all entered together...
cant hurt to try!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Originally Posted By: jakesmommyI have tried having my guests give him treats... takes the treat then starts barking again.
I cannot observe the situation, but I wonder if he is continuing the barking because he knows that this gets him treats. If possible, I suggest having people you know, that he has not met, come to the house. Have everyone sit, including Jake. When he stops barking, have your guests throw a treat at him. This allows him to continue to see that guests offer treats (if he is nervous) but it also prevents him from getting the treat for barking.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Tell your guests to ignore the dog until the dog is calm, relaxed, laying around somewhere not bothering anyone. THEN treat him and praise.

·
Registered
15,976 Posts
I found that meeting people and walking into the house with them (with or without the dog) made a world of difference. Or even having the people at the house when the dogs and I walked up... I know it's not ideal but in a situation where it wasn't feasable to socialize heavily with folks at the house, this really was a charm.

Also, with the treats, have folks make the dog work for the treats. Either sit, or down on command earns a treat. This is something my dogs are very used to so it puts the people in context as "one of us." (Well, that's how I interpret their response anyway...)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have had trouble with Rosie for this and the way we worked through it was the way Cesar M. does it. She has to sit quietly until she calms down. Then I can bring her up to the people to meet nicely. If she isn't nice about it she goes back to sitting beside me.
Of course you have to have guests that will cooperate instead of the ones like my SISTERS that keep coming forward so they get jumped all over! For THOSE poeple, I had to put her leash on the floor and stand on it so she couldn't get any height to her jump. I held the end of the leash so it wouldn't slip through.
Rosie was more aggressive with men so I worked with doggie daycare because there are two male attendants there that walk the dogs and monitor the play groups. Now she isn't any worse with the men than she is the women. Once she settles down she will meet them calmly and not jump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts