German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My inlaws, who live next door and have alot of contact with my dogs have something wrong with their noses. One is a GSD, one is a St. Bernard. The GSD's nose is worse, it is swollen, oozing, crusty, raw and cracked. He had it first. The St. Bernard's is just crusty, oozy and has a bad crack. My MIL has been to the vet over and over again. They tested for a fungus, came back negative, they tried antibiotics over and over again, and though it does seem to help the oozing a little, it doesn't go away, and comes back as soon as she stops, and after the last round the GSD was getting sick from them. She went to a new vet and they said change the food bowls from plastic to metal and put vaseline on their noses, and give them benadryl. This seemed to help for a while, but it has never really cleared up completely. It has just gotten really bad again. They have spent hundreds of dollars on this, to no avail. She thinks it is allergies. I think it is odd they both have it, being different breeds, ages. She's pretty much given up, and has let it go. Which bothers me, I love the dogs, and it must be sore, and If it is something environmental or contagious I want to protect my dogs. Has anybody here ever experienced anything like this? Any thoughts? I tried searching old threads but got nothing...Thanks

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Shot in the dark...

she just get new carpeting or flooring of any kind? Some of the off gases of some materials are toxic. New floor treatments or detergents?

Sounds environmental, likely inside.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
My Gretchen started with this a few months ago. The vet diagnosed Discoid Lupus. It also came with some very red mouth ulcers which I didn't see...they were in the back of her mouth. After a few weeks of antibiotics, the mouth ulcers were gone, but the nose was still the same. She's on an ointment for her nose...3xday Triaqmcinolone. That has helped the nose...but if I miss a day, it looks just as bad.

My understanding is that this in an autoimmune disease.....so I don't see how topicals are ever going to cure it. I'm still researching it myself. It you Google Discoid Lupus....there's info on it. Let me know if you've found anything else helpful!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
new chew toys? some plastics off gas questionable materials as well...
just heard something about rubber duckies on the radio yesterday.

The vet said change bowls from plastic to metal, this was the reasoning.

I agree the fact they both have this raises suspicions it must be something environmental with allergens.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Could it be some kind of weird food allergy, since their noses are down in their food while they're eating? (I'm assuming they eat the same food). Kind of strange to be a topical allergy from food, but just a thought!

·
Registered
822 Posts
I don't know if this is the same thing, but my 10 1/2 yr old GSD started to get a very dry crusty cracked nose and my vet said it is dermatitis/nasal solar. I believe that is similar to the lupus. I have to keep her out of the sun, and put sun tan lotion(water base,spf 50)on her nose to keep it moist. He also gave me a spray that is called Epi-pet sun protector spray to use on her nose. The lotion wasn't working for her. I can not skip a day without it or it will start to bleed and ooz. He said she will forever have this, and that some day's will be worse than other's. I hope this helps out some.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
When the vet thought that Indy might have discoid lupus, he told me to give her vitamin E internally (natural, with mixed tocopherols) and also to use some on her nose. That didn't help her, since that's not what she has.

However, now it looks like it is Max's turn:

He digs with his nose, and will also cover up his urine or poop with his nose, so the vet wanted to eliminate the possibility of an infection. With a steroid, antibacterial, antifungal creme, it cleared up. But as soon as I stopped, it started again.

The big crusty piece will break off, as do the other icky pieces. What is left is a crater-type indentation, and then the process starts all over again. No oozing.

Does this look similar to anyone else's?

·
Registered
822 Posts
My GSD has this same problem, and I was told by a friend to use Emu Oil, and apple cider vinegar. I put the Emu oil on her nose twice a day and a table spoon of ACV in her dog food. I have to add some warm water in her food b/c she won't eat it with the smell of the ACV. Her nose looks much better since I've been doing this. Hope this helps out some, and sorry for the late response.

·
Registered
15,975 Posts
I'm sorry but the first post ended up reading "my inlaws...one is a GSD the other is a Saint Bernard... " I haven't stopped laughing yet. What great inlaws! I'd even consider marrying into that family!

Moving on to the serious side of this and what I THINK are your inlaws' dogs -- My thoughts are that they are running their noses into something that is causing injury & then the injury (in the case of gunky/oozy) gets infected.

Thanks for the phrasing, though. I needed a good laugh.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
My GSD had similar problems with her nose a few years ago. It would get reallly dry, crusty, and bleed at times.. and even changed colour a little. She played hard and rough - especially with her plastic toys (many of them from the dollar store - ugh! threw them all away and the problem disappeared). Only has plush toys now and CUZs. All is OK.

Bag Balm helped a lot and so did some CLINIQUE lip balm- lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts