German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dogs nose seems to be flaky, not sure why. My Mom said she noticed this with our other German Shepherd we used to have. Anyone know why this is? There doesn’t seem to be any redness anywhere else or flakiness. It’s been sunny out and 80+ degrees for 4-5 days until today. And I’ve taken him on a lot of walks since it’s gotten nicer out. He is 4. Gonna leave some pictures, 2 of what his nose looks like now and what it looked like a couple days ago. Any help would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
855 Posts
Does your dog get crated in a wire crate at all?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Has the dogs muzzle been bandaged-taped or something........What's that sorta white-ish residue I'm seeing ?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Vet visit is the best way to go!

You say you have been walking a lot and it is sunny, could he have "solar dermatitis" aka "collie nose"?
But that usually happens to dogs with white fur and pink skin and light-colored noses...like mine.

( I only know this because my dog has issues with his nose skin too and this was discussed as a possibility...
and he has been through a round of antibiotics, and a biopsy, but vet still isn't sure what it is. I think allergy meds might be next...)

One thing that might help sort out what it is, is to watch him and see if his nose is itchy. Does he paw at it a lot / try to scratch it?

Or it could be a simple injury i.e. sticking his nose into a thorny bush! So, vet should have best idea!

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
It looks like it can be sun burn I’m not sure. He may be more sensitive to the sun. Vitamin e may help with scarring but take him to vet and he can recommend sun block. I would just be careful with his nose out in his sun till his vet visit. Silver sulfadiazine is great for burns/sunburns.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vet visit is the best way to go!

You say you have been walking a lot and it is sunny, could he have "solar dermatitis" aka "collie nose"?
But that usually happens to dogs with white fur and pink skin and light-colored noses...like mine.

( I only know this because my dog has issues with his nose skin too and this was discussed as a possibility...
and he has been through a round of antibiotics, and a biopsy, but vet still isn't sure what it is. I think allergy meds might be next...)

One thing that might help sort out what it is, is to watch him and see if his nose is itchy. Does he paw at it a lot / try to scratch it?

Or it could be a simple injury i.e. sticking his nose into a thorny bush! So, vet should have best idea!
Yeah sometimes he’d put his two paws over his face, that’s probably what he’s itching. Maybe it could be really dry skin?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like it can be sun burn I’m not sure. He may be more sensitive to the sun. Vitamin e may help with scarring but take him to vet and he can recommend sun block. I would just be careful with his nose out in his sun till his vet visit. Silver sulfadiazine is great for burns/sunburns.
It doesn’t seem to be bothering him, smelling wise. He still is acting completely normal as well. I did notice today that it looks like some of the color is coming back, at least I think. I noticed some light black on some of redness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update : It seems like the black color of his nose is now starting to cover up the redness, so I guess that’s a good sign? Can’t get him to the vet till the 12th. But it hasn’t been bothering him. Have a feeling it might’ve been sun burn. Because he was outside all weekend during Memorial Day weekend and it was 80-85+ and sunny.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Yes, I would guess sunburn too. He looks good. I had someone tell me that dogs with black noses can't get sunburns. My first question to them was, "How is a black nose any different? Do black noses come with SPF protection?" They didn't like that question. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I would guess sunburn too. He looks good. I had someone tell me that dogs with black noses can't get sunburns. My first question to them was, "How is a black nose any different? Do black noses come with SPF protection?" They didn't like that question. /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Thanks for responding. When I was googling stuff about the nose problem. I saw some pictures of GSDs gums that had some disease. And was wondering, if his gums/mouth look normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Thanks for responding. When I was googling stuff about the nose problem. I saw some pictures of GSDs gums that had some disease. And was wondering, if his gums/mouth look normal?
My golden retriever's mouth looks like that for the most part. Hers is slightly more pink, but she does have the same brown look. The vets were not concerned when I mentioned it to them and they looked her over.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts