German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
Is that something to be concerned about?
do yourself a favor and don’t go down that rabbit hole.... esp if you’re trying to stay calm til tuesday.

with the symptoms you describe, no aspergillosis would not be a concern of mine.

hang tight.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
The vet said to keep putting the Snout Soother on him, and saline solution (drops, not mist).

He also has some raw areas and a skin infection due to his lying on one side constantly. The vet said to use the Gentocin antibiotic spray and keep the areas dry. She also gave us antibiotics.

She said he’s still an alert, happy dog.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
How is Joey?
He’s still stuffed up. Amazon is delivering the saline solution today. He started a 10-day course of Simplicef (plus a topical antibiotic) to treat the skin infection from the constant laying on one side.

I discovered he will eat chicken hearts, gizzards and liver, along with salmon, mackerel and sardines. He turns down his kibble. I’m trying to put some weight back on him.

He’s alert and smiling. He sleeps more nowadays.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Good to hear Joey smiling!! With moo and my gsds they had got to where they didn't eat the kibble and a lot of times eat only a little canned by themselves. I hand fed them canned, cooked chicken, cooked hamburger, whatever they'd eat. I remember one of the vet techs had said if you didn't they'd just waste away. You're taking good care of Joey.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Good to hear Joey smiling!! With moo and my gsds they had got to where they didn't eat the kibble and a lot of times eat only a little canned by themselves. I hand fed them canned, cooked chicken, cooked hamburger, whatever they'd eat. I remember one of the vet techs had said if you didn't they'd just waste away. You're taking good care of Joey.
Thank you. The ironic part is that I had bought a 26-pound bag of kibble before all this started. But no matter, I want him to get nutrition in his belly. He’s not emaciated, but he’s definitely lost some weight.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Is Joey drinking water well? I had still left out a little dry for Moo, sometimes he'd still pass by and eat a piece or two. Someone here years ago had said just fed them what they'll eat, cheese burgers, whatever! I fed breakfast, lunch and dinner, then like a snack before bedtime with evening meds.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Is Joey drinking water well? I had still left out a little dry for Moo, sometimes he'd still pass by and eat a piece or two. Someone here years ago had said just fed them what they'll eat, cheese burgers, whatever! I fed breakfast, lunch and dinner, then like a snack before bedtime with evening meds.
He loves his water! He gets several bowls a day, especially after he poops.

I’m not sure if he’s being a picky eater because of the stuffy nose, or just from getting older. I’m going to have to get creative with his eating. I tried giving him some kibble mixed with chicken liver juice, and he scarfed it up!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
yeah I'd be hesitant too, I'd ask the vet, like if he snorted it in? the coconut oil helped, I'd imagine moo's dry nose felt like when your fingers get real dry, it looked uncomfortable.
The vet said we can use the saline solution. We started using it, and he‘s slept the past two nights without panting and heavy breathing.

You’re right about the feel of his dry nose. I think the Snout Snoother is helping.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I saw that BJs sells canned chunk chicken breast in water. Would that be ok for Joey? I’ve never given him cooked chicken before.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Jumping in late but about the canned chicken, why not just buy a breast and boil it up or bake it with no added spices or oil. It will be healthier and probably cheeper. Just a suggestion for a topper.

Edit to add, save the drippings. Put in fridge until cold, skim the solid fat off the top and add the gel that’s under neath to her meal. She should go crazy for that.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Good to hear Joey is sleeping better! In that post I had meant canned dog food, the chicken I bought the boneless chicken breasts or boneless thigh, I baked it in the oven in water to keep it moist.
I used a larger glass baking pan, put several pieces of frozen chicken in and added water to fill the pan about half way, covered with foil and baked it about an hour to hour and a half, (because I put in in froze) and turn it about half way thru. Sometimes I added a little salt, sometimes not. I feed the canned dog food 3 times a day and some chicken as a snack or I had bought some of those small containers of like “little Caesar’s“ dog food to get his night meds down and I’d feed a little chicken with that.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Jumping in late but about the canned chicken, why not just buy a breast and boil it up or bake it with no added spices or oil. It will be healthier and probably cheeper. Just a suggestion for a topper.

Edit to add, save the drippings. Put in fridge until cold, skim the solid fat off the top and add the gel that’s under neath to her meal. She should go crazy for that.
That sounds better. When I make chicken soup for me and my husband, I boil cut-up breasts in broth, then shred them.

For Joey, I could boil breasts in water, then shred them.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
glad To hear the snout smoother is helping, moo’s nose would get crusty looking, the coconut oil helped a lot, it’d heal up pretty quickly!
I’m happy that he’s now sleeping the whole night!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts