German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joey recently developed a stuffy nose and dryness around his snout.

His breathing seems more labored at night; breathing through his right nostril is more problematic than the left.

His appetite over the last few days has decreased. He won’t eat his kibble, but he has had salmon, egg, and mackerel. His drinking is fine.

The vet will take a look at him this Tuesday, when he goes for his regular Adequan shot.

Should I be worried, or should I stay calm until Tuesday?

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
I have no insight but sending love to you and Joey.

·
Registered
748 Posts
When one of my senior dogs started having troubles breathing at night and decreased appetite I’ve also noticed that her abdomen looked swollen. Ultrasound showed that her cancer spread into her liver. She was diagnosed with skin lymphoma a few months before.
It should not be the case with Joey then.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When one of my senior dogs started having troubles breathing at night and decreased appetite I’ve also noticed that her abdomen looked swollen. Ultrasound showed that her cancer spread into her liver. She was diagnosed with skin lymphoma a few months before.
It should not be the case with Joey then.
Joey has regular bloodwork and exams, so hopefully he’s ok in that respect.

Part of me thinks that the stuffiness is affecting his sense of taste, but I don’t want to jump to conclusions.

·
Super Moderator
8,974 Posts
Joey has regular bloodwork and exams, so hopefully he’s ok in that respect.

Part of me thinks that the stuffiness is affecting his sense of taste, but I don’t want to jump to conclusions.
this would be my assumption as smell and taste are connected, just as in humans. i know that my appetite decreases and food isn’t as enjoyable when i have a cold.

Reactions: Cheerful1

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
Maybe all the pollen?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hopefully just that the pollen is really bad this spring? My pup and the cat were both sneezing the past two days and my eyes are itchy which doesn't normally happen. Sending positive thoughts Joey's way that this isn't anything serious. He's such a sweet old guy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Joey recently developed a stuffy nose and dryness around his snout.

His breathing seems more labored at night; breathing through his right nostril is more problematic than the left.

His appetite over the last few days has decreased. He won’t eat his kibble, but he has had salmon, egg, and mackerel. His drinking is fine.

The vet will take a look at him this Tuesday, when he goes for his regular Adequan shot.

Should I be worried, or should I stay calm until Tuesday?
It might be aspergillosis....I had same problems with my dog...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hopefully just that the pollen is really bad this spring? My pup and the cat were both sneezing the past two days and my eyes are itchy which doesn't normally happen. Sending positive thoughts Joey's way that this isn't anything serious. He's such a sweet old guy.
I’m hoping it’s something that’s treatable, whether it’s pollen or something else. Tree pollen is high in my area.

I’m thinking positive for his vet visit Tuesday.

Thank you for the good thoughts.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Is his nose dry? You could try putting a little coconut oil on his nose if it is dry. Moo (non GSD) his nose would get dry, I'd gently rub some coconut oil in a couple times a day, like in the morning and evening. That helped a lot if his nose is dry. With one of my GSD seniors the vet had said it was probably a auto immune thing.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is his nose dry? You could try putting a little coconut oil on his nose if it is dry. Moo (non GSD) his nose would get dry, I'd gently rub some coconut oil in a couple times a day, like in the morning and evening. That helped a lot if his nose is dry. With one of my GSD seniors the vet had said it was probably a auto immune thing.
I’ve been using Natural Dog Company Snout Snoother. I also have coconut oil in the house, which I could try.

I was thinking of irrigating his nostrils with saline solution, but am hesitant.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
yeah I'd be hesitant too, I'd ask the vet, like if he snorted it in? the coconut oil helped, I'd imagine moo's dry nose felt like when your fingers get real dry, it looked uncomfortable.

·
Super Moderator
6,189 Posts
Tree pollen has been very high here too. Nora and I both have been sneezing, with a little runny nose, and goopy eyes. And very loud snoring. At least she was snoring, I don’t know about me, lol. Vet says she’s fine. I put both of us in a steamy bathroom, and that helped.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts